Haven Name: The Iron Pen
An abandoned, low-security prison located in a remote area far from major cities.
The Iron Pen is a large, single-story structure surrounded by open space. Despite being long-abandoned, the prison still maintains an imposing presence with its guard towers, high walls, and concertina wire. Inside, there are numerous cells, offices, a cafeteria, a small infirmary, and a recreational yard.
Given the size of the facility, the Iron Pen could potentially house up to 200 people, depending on how comfortably the survivors wish to live.
Upon arrival, survivors found the prison completely devoid of supplies. They've been able to scrounge together basic necessities from the surrounding area, including canned goods, water, medical supplies, and some tools. There's a well on the prison grounds, providing a reliable source of water.
- The prison walls and cell bars, though aged, provide a significant barrier against walkers.
- The guard towers serve as excellent lookout points and sniper posts.
- The singular entrance and exit, originally designed to control prisoner movements, now provides a secure choke point against intruders.
- The open area surrounding the prison allows for early detection of approaching walkers.
4. Although the prison's fortifications have suffered from neglect, its inherent design as a secure facility provides an advantage.
- Dilapidated Structures: Because the prison was abandoned for years, many structures are in a state of disrepair, including portions of the outer wall and some of the cellblocks.
- Lack of Heating and Insulation: Prisons aren't designed for comfort, and the lack of proper heating and insulation can make living conditions harsh, especially during winter months.
- No Initial Supplies: The prison was completely stripped of supplies, making the acquisition of food, medicine, and other necessities a constant struggle.