Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Beta Feedback - Zone Wars Core Game

Wed 19 Apr 2023, 15:08

Hello!

In this thread, you can report errors and post other feedback to the Beta PDF files of the Zone Wars Core Game. Before posting, please check that no one else has already reported the same thing. Please leave your feedback before August 15. Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Fenhorn

Re: Beta Feedback - Zone Wars Core Game

Wed 19 Apr 2023, 15:48

p.5 'Character token' is mentioned under overwatch and then 'character marker' is mentioned under casualties, I believe they are called action tokens now.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tomas
Site Admin
Topic Author

Thu 20 Apr 2023, 11:04

p.5 'Character token' is mentioned under overwatch and then 'character marker' is mentioned under casualties, I believe they are called action tokens now.
Ok thanks we'll look into it. :)
Fria Ligan

Fenhorn

Sat 22 Apr 2023, 19:36

Just to make sure it's a feature, the crossbow is silent and certain mutations and modules don't work on that, overwatch do. I mentioned this because I have a vague memory that in the alpha-rules, silent weapon didn't trigger overwatch either.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Nocternity

Mon 22 May 2023, 12:32

p.10, Cover section, second paragraph begins with "A Model behind terrain gains of any kind gains 2 gear dice". Sounds like the first "gains" shouldn't be there :)

your evil twin

Mon 05 Jun 2023, 07:52

In the original Mutant Year Zero RPG, you fight by rolling both an attribute and skill, and gear dice. So you fire a gun by rolling both "Agility" and "Shoot", and Gear dice for your gun. In Zone Wars, you just roll one stat "Ranged" and the gear dice.

When converting a character from the original RPG to Zone Wars, the rules say you determine "Ranged" by using either Agility or the Shoot skill, whichever is higher, and you determine "Melee" using Strength or the Fight skill, whichever is higher.

So does that mean that in Zone Wars your chances of hitting an enemy is actually lower than in the original RPG? In both games you need to roll 6s to get a Success; in Zone Wars you are rolling less dice. Your Ranged stat is either your Agility or your Shoot score, rather than a combination of both.

I would have thought that in order to accurately convert an RPG character into a Zone Wars skirmish game character, it would make more sense to get "Ranged" by adding Agility and Shoot together, and to get "Melee" by adding Strength and Fight together.

Except that would create a character that is better than any standard Zone Wars character. So is it intentional part of the game's design that the number of dice - and the chances of success - are lower than in the RPG? (Perhaps because in the RPG combat is more rare, and there are lots of other options, while in Zone Wars the entire point is combat, so everyone is rolling to hit all the time, so misses are more desirable?)