✦ Rank: 3
✦ Prerequisite: FARSIGHT
✦ Requirement: Word, gesture
✦ Casting Time: Action
✦ Range: Touch
✦ Duration: Instant
With this spell you can teleport yourself up
to 100 meters. You must either be able to
see the destination or have visited it previously.
For each power level beyond the
first, you can bring another human-sized
creature you touch with you, or double
the range. The spell cannot be used to
travel between dimensions.

Touching an unwilling opponent in combat is going to take an Action, a Brawling attack roll (that can be Dodged or Parried), making it impossible to Teleport with an enemy AFAICS.

simontmn

Re: Teleport and possible broken combo?

Wed 10 May 2023, 13:09

And I don't think you can even Grapple then cast - Grapple:
"While maintaining your grip, you are also
unable to move or perform any action that requires
body movement
, except break – this counts as an
unarmed attack with a boon that cannot be dodged
or parried."

Currently there's no Still Spell type HA that would allow casting while grappling.

Rathalos32
Topic Author

Fri 12 May 2023, 17:44

I don't think that to touch a unwilling person is a brawling roll, because there are other 2 spells with the touch range that does not require this, which is Sleep and Shatter, and both doesn't need a roll (besides the roll to cast it), and if it does it would severely nerf those 2 spells.

Short Fey

Sun 14 May 2023, 12:02

I don't think that to touch a unwilling person is a brawling roll, because there are other 2 spells with the touch range that does not require this, which is Sleep and Shatter, and both doesn't need a roll (besides the roll to cast it), and if it does it would severely nerf those 2 spells.
Sleep at least requires the target to make a roll to resist the spell, and shatter specifically targets objects, not living creatures. And in a fight, that requires for you to be in melee range, which is not ideal for a caster sense your not gonna be wearing high armor, and have limited options for a straight up brawl unless you have specced your character for it. So i agree that it wouldn't necessarily require a brawling roll for it either, sense there are some problems for it. If anything i would say they could attempt a dodge roll to avoid being touched, but that would still take their action.

I also think that while sure, it is a potentially powerful move, it is of note to consider it is a rank 3 spell, that requires a specific school of magic to cast. So no starting mage is going to have it, and even then, it is likely going to take them a while to learn it, sense they gotta find the spell first, which is up to the gm to decide how easy/hard that is going to be, even longer if the caster gotta learn Mentalism from scratch. And while it could be of use against an Boss npc, it can only kill one npc, and then if the mage is drifting down with slow fall, that could put them out of the fight for at least a few rounds, especially where and when they opt to cast slow fall. And it is pretty much useless against majority of the monsters you can face.

Overall, a potentially powerful move, but imo i don't think it is brokenly overpowered.
Beware the fey!

Rathalos32
Topic Author

Sun 14 May 2023, 12:51

Sleep at least requires the target to make a roll to resist the spell, and shatter specifically targets objects, not living creatures. And in a fight, that requires for you to be in melee range, which is not ideal for a caster sense your not gonna be wearing high armor, and have limited options for a straight up brawl unless you have specced your character for it. So i agree that it wouldn't necessarily require a brawling roll for it either, sense there are some problems for it. If anything i would say they could attempt a dodge roll to avoid being touched, but that would still take their action.

I also think that while sure, it is a potentially powerful move, it is of note to consider it is a rank 3 spell, that requires a specific school of magic to cast. So no starting mage is going to have it, and even then, it is likely going to take them a while to learn it, sense they gotta find the spell first, which is up to the gm to decide how easy/hard that is going to be, even longer if the caster gotta learn Mentalism from scratch. And while it could be of use against an Boss npc, it can only kill one npc, and then if the mage is drifting down with slow fall, that could put them out of the fight for at least a few rounds, especially where and when they opt to cast slow fall. And it is pretty much useless against majority of the monsters you can face.

Overall, a potentially powerful move, but imo i don't think it is brokenly overpowered.
Yeah, so I agree that it doesn't really break since there are some heavy requirements and limitations (need to be mentalist, have both spells (slow fall and teleport), need to be human-sized, have the HA to cast 2 spells, need to be in open space) and has far has I could see the only monster it works is Wights, but I still think that it's an oversight and it should not be allowed to unwilling characters or at least indeed have a type of resistence, specially because it can be a really d*ck move if the GM does the same.

Raven

Mon 15 May 2023, 13:12

It would restrict this in a combat situation because the caster cant touch an unwilling opponent as a free action. He also cant grapple first and then cast the spell because it requires gestures to cast.

Edit:
Sorry. I did not see the second page of the discussion and that the issue was already solved.

simontmn

Fri 19 May 2023, 08:41

>>SLEEP
✦ Rank: 2
✦ Prerequisite: TREAT WOUND
✦ Requirement: Word
✦ Casting Time: Action
✦ Range: Touch
✦ Duration: Instant
The target of the spell must succeed with a WIL roll or fall
into a deep sleep for one stretch. NPCs roll against their
maximum WP if this is listed, reduced by 2 for each level
of the Focused heroic ability. If WP is not listed, NPCs roll
against 10. If the roll succeeds, the victim still gets Dazed.
The victim rolls with a boon at power level 1, normally at
power level 2, and with a bane at power level 3. A sleeping
person is very difficult to wake, but wakes up upon taking
damage. The spell can only be used on the living and has
no effect on monsters<<

Hm - I think touching the willing should be a free action, but I definitely wouldn't give a free action auto-hit vs an unwilling opponent in combat while spellcasting. So I guess IMC this will generally be restricted to out of combat use. It does make it weak, especially considering how powerful Ensnaring Roots is by contrast - 10m range & automatic success!

Another possibility for touch range spells vs unwilling would be an opposed check, say Brawling vs Evade, as part of the spellcasting.