akentecology
Topic Author

Hit points - origin vs. class

Thu 04 May 2023, 15:55

Hi All,
In the Ruins of Symbaroum (RoS) book every race, save goblins, and class has a d8 HD. And because players are given the option of using the classes HD instead of their origin HD a goblin mystic would have very similar hitpoints to a troll warrior, that doesn't feel quite right. The Troll and Ogre get slightly more hitpoints, 1 on average, than other origins but that doesn't feel like enough. Have you added any house rules to add greater hitpoint variation?

Jacob Rodgers

Re: Hit points - origin vs. class

Sun 07 May 2023, 02:14

Hi All,
In the Ruins of Symbaroum (RoS) book every race, save goblins, and class has a d8 HD. And because players are given the option of using the classes HD instead of their origin HD a goblin mystic would have very similar hitpoints to a troll warrior, that doesn't feel quite right. The Troll and Ogre get slightly more hitpoints, 1 on average, than other origins but that doesn't feel like enough. Have you added any house rules to add greater hitpoint variation?
Hey! Just seeing this now, but wanted to respond.

Using Class hit points / Hit Dice instead of Origin is an option,but as specified on page 44 of the Player's Guide, the default is to use Origin, not Class. The Class Hit Die is there only for those players who really want play that way as a group (i.e. not an individual picking to use the Class HD, but the entire group needs to pick) or use a class (like Captain) in a regular 5e game. The entire system is built around Origin Hit Dice and a group would want to think very seriously about making that change as a whole, and think more about Goblins, Ogres, and Trolls.

As an incidental by-the-by, we did try very hard to have Ogres and Trolls be Large, but too many things break (grappling is a big one). So if you do go to Class Hit Dice, their current traits and Origin Feats are our best. attempt at meeting in the middle (as is Survival Instinct for Goblins), and will need adjustments.

akentecology
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 03:15

Hi, sorry just seeing this. Thank you for the response. I can understand that large size breaks too many things. Something a player and I brainstormed was hitpoints as a combination of class, origin, and constitution modifier.

Jacob Rodgers

Sat 22 Jul 2023, 14:30

Hi, sorry just seeing this. Thank you for the response. I can understand that large size breaks too many things. Something a player and I brainstormed was hitpoints as a combination of class, origin, and constitution modifier.
Yeah. This forum, for good or ill, isn't too active, and I try to remember to check in on occasion, but it's never an everyday-thing for me either.

That idea sounds interesting, I'm going with the approach for a personal project, where Ancestry provides a base, then Class plus Con is your 'every level get X Hit Points more' amount.