MDuckworth83
Topic Author

How far is a volley?

Thu 04 May 2023, 00:05

So I'm working on my random encounter generator for my Strider mode supplement, and am trying to figure out encounter starting distances (in 0, 1, or 2 volleys).

Anybody have an idea what a volley distance might be? Trying to decide how frequent one should encounter an enemy at 1 or 2 volley distances in closed or open terrain.... or even whether 3 volleys should be a possibility?

Thanks in advance.

CaptHaddock

Re: How far is a volley?

Thu 04 May 2023, 00:21

I don't normally think in terms of range. My default is to allow bows two shots and spears one. If the players have a particularly good position or they have prepared well (high ground, good initial awareness roll, etc.) I will allow the bows one or two more shots. But if visibility is bad, just one shot for everyone. I wouldn't disallow opening volleys altogether unless the party was abushed.
Blistering barnacles!

Harlath

Thu 04 May 2023, 00:28

That’s how I run things too.

MDuckworth83
Topic Author

Thu 04 May 2023, 00:51

Right... and I get that in gameplay, and that's pretty much how I operate too.

But I'm trying to create an AI DM for Strider mode - and trying to figure out what scenarios you'd have the odds of starting 0 volleys away (I made that rare and only possible in closed terrain btw), 1 volleys away, or 2... and whether I should even include 3 in very rare circumstances.

The reason I was asking for estimates of distances is so I could convert a volley in my head and see what made sense to me. I know this probably sounds confusing, but struggling to word my intent better.

Aragorn

Thu 04 May 2023, 08:04

Right... and I get that in gameplay, and that's pretty much how I operate too.

But I'm trying to create an AI DM for Strider mode - and trying to figure out what scenarios you'd have the odds of starting 0 volleys away (I made that rare and only possible in closed terrain btw), 1 volleys away, or 2... and whether I should even include 3 in very rare circumstances.

The reason I was asking for estimates of distances is so I could convert a volley in my head and see what made sense to me. I know this probably sounds confusing, but struggling to word my intent better.
I'd be interested to know as well.

Dunheved

Sat 06 May 2023, 08:57

This is a " how long is a useful piece of string" question. And the answers get more involved the more I think about it.

Now I know Opening Volleys are NOT written in the rules to last exactly the same time as a Round of Combat, and that time is suggested to be a MAXIMUM of 30 seconds, but it seems not entirely unreasonable to take this idea as a broad benchmark:, then think about it, and come to a final working conclusion.

How far can a fighter in TOR move in 30 seconds? That is about the distance an archer has between them and their target in an Opening Volley situation. Maybe every 30 seconds gives you another opportunity/Opening Volley?
How far is the effective range for your missile weapon? Javelin max range is 100m today. And most soldiers can run 100m on the flat in less than 30 seconds - So you will only ever get 1 aimed opening volley

And the archer will find all sorts of things to affect the time available:
are you uphill? + 1 Volley;
is the intervening ground uneven or boggy, + 1 Volley;
is the wind direction and/or strength helpful or a hindrance? Complication? +/- d6?

Also the terrain can affect the shot:
is there tree cover? Archer has a Complication to the Volley;
does the target have to move through a particular spot (e.g. a footbridge) Archer has an advantage for that Volley;

CONCLUSION
With so many variables to consider it is easy to create a situation and justify almost any number of Volleys.
CaptHaddock (1 volley for javelin firers , 2 for archers) seems most likely to be "game-usable".

And my initial ideas for Ranges? (Not that I would personally bother, but I see the OP point in asking.)
1. Javelins are launched between 25 to 75 metres, to give the thrower time to pick up and deploy close combat weapons. (Or the player to narrate doing that.)
2. Archers fire one longer and one shorter range Volley. Say 90m +, and then the second one much closer at about one half to one third that range. (So many different internet opinions about range of longbows!)

FatherJ_ct

Sun 03 Sep 2023, 08:13

throwing pilum in armour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLd2JPL7UAg 25m
Medieval Longbow Speed Shoot | no. 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ebQeoAeKIg 12 quick aimed shots in a minute (3 of which resulted in headshots)

So I would agree with the quick general default of 1 volley spears, 2 volleys bow at roughly 100m encounter distance. 300m open country...bows would get a few more (depending on speed of closing...on foot or mounts). Fog/low light/night decreases encounter distance (unless torches, but if aiming at light source and trying to get an actual hit, would be a -1/-2 die)

I like the suggested extra volleys based on terrain effects and potential wind complication etc, but it adds more crunch that may not be desired by some.

Sebastian

Sun 03 Sep 2023, 13:35

A volley is neither long nor it is short. It arrives precisely as it means to.