Devastator
Topic Author

Bind magic question

Sat 22 Apr 2023, 17:18

What is the effect of using an ingredient to cast Bind magic? Is it supposed to allow the costs of the three effects to be 1, 1, 4 instead of 1, 2, 5 as written?

Fenhorn

Re: Bind magic question

Sat 22 Apr 2023, 17:50

What is the effect of using an ingredient to cast Bind magic? Is it supposed to allow the costs of the three effects to be 1, 1, 4 instead of 1, 2, 5 as written?
Yes,it increases the Bind Magic Power Level, if you want to increase the Power Level of the bound spell, you have to use whatever ingredient that spell have.

Remember that when the spell is cast, the ingredient has been spent and cannot be used again to cast spells.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Devastator
Topic Author

Sun 23 Apr 2023, 23:31

Thank you for the swift reply! So the Bind Magic should be treated as a separate cast with its own power level and ingredient?
The text in the english verion strongly implies that the binding is nothing more than an added wp cost when casting the spell to be bound. All other spells, where power level decides the effect, explicitly mentions power level. Bind magic instead, repeatedly, uses wording like ”spend extra WP”…

But if it is possible to use ingredients for both the bound spell and binding ritual, the same should be true for the grimoire effect? Meaning you could safe cast Immolate at 2WP+ingredient, and then safe cast Bind magic at 1WP+ingredient, to create one shot 3+dmg plasma guns really, on an industrial scale, with available WP as the only limiting factor? Start with safe cast Blood Channeling and the cost is actually 2WP per gun 8-)

Obscure magic is another spell that seems to only be an added cost to the spell being obscured, the text even says that it ”does not count as an action in itself”. But it has an ingredient. And the description of Sense magic tells us that Obscure magic definitely has a power level of its own…? So this should also be treated as a separate cast with grimoire and ingredient effects, but included in the same action as the casting of the obscured spell?

Fenhorn

Mon 24 Apr 2023, 00:15

There is really no reason to no safe cast a spell (if you can) unless in combat situations of course.

In the Swedish version, Obscure Magic doesn't have any ingredients since increased PL has no meaning. Regarding safe casting to not roll the Obscure Magic mishap die, besides the safe casting to lower the number of mishap dice, sure why not. But since Obscure Magic is used to cast spells unnoticed it would be very a bit suspicious if you all of a sudden, quietly read from a book book because even people can't sense the spell (they have to use sense magic for that), not many people all of a sudden read books in strange places. But this last part is technically beyond the rule part and more of a GM discretion and how the player describe their action thing.

Devastator
Topic Author

Mon 24 Apr 2023, 09:34

Well you could also safe cast the Obscure effect by being a rank 3 sorcerer, if the GM would allow using that on both the spell and the obscuration…
But you are saying then that Obscure should NOT count as a separate cast and have its own power level? So Sense magic is supposed to beat the power level of the spell being obscured, not the Obscure itself…? That would call for an errata of the english text.

Fenhorn

Mon 24 Apr 2023, 10:14

Well you could also safe cast the Obscure effect by being a rank 3 sorcerer, if the GM would allow using that on both the spell and the obscuration…
But you are saying then that Obscure should NOT count as a separate cast and have its own power level? So Sense magic is supposed to beat the power level of the spell being obscured, not the Obscure itself…? That would call for an errata of the english text.
Obscure Magic just adds the cost of one extra WP that doesn't add to the Power Level and yes you're right and yes you're right that a Rank 3 spellcaster should be able to do a safe casting (with -1 die to the mishap roll) and that is not physically visual (i.e. no spellbook reading) and regarding visibility, the target spell is obscured and to be honest, here there are also spells that doesn't have any visual effects. The spell is obscured as long as it is there after all. One good use is to create some sort of trap (Bind Magic with only one time use) and then also obscure it. Extremely expensive though.

There is a theoretical bonus of casting Obscure Magic with more than one Power Level (i.e. spending more than just the +1 WP on it) and that is of course so it is harder to counter Sense Magic. Very expensive hobby though since, Sense magic only have instant duration so it would only matter if an enemy spellcaster actually just out in the blue decides to cast sense magic to see if there is magic that has been obscured there (within short range) and also by chance decides to cast a higher PL sense magic just in case someone obscured it hard.

The reason I never though about these two situations was just me being a bit ignorant since they are so rarely used (due to it being very expensive for very little gain), sorry about that.

Regarding that the Swedish version don't havre an ingredient listed (the piece of cloth), that has been so from the get-go and is most likely an errata for the Swedish book since the English book has been updated more than the Swedish.

Devastator
Topic Author

Mon 24 Apr 2023, 12:43

Yeah, I agree it would be very situational :) Maybe if we REALLY want the Bind Deamon trap to work, it would be worth any number of WP…

Thank you for your insights! I am sure I will return whit more when we have played more :)

Quentin

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 08:39

How will works Bind magic with spells which have Range: Personal, for example, FIREWALKER?
If I create a rod with a binded personal spell with five additional WP then if is possible for anyone to use that rod once per day to cast this spell in him/herself?

Fenhorn

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 08:49

How will works Bind magic with spells which have Range: Personal, for example, FIREWALKER?
If I create a rod with a binded personal spell with five additional WP then if is possible for anyone to use that rod once per day to cast this spell in him/herself?
The user of the magic item activate the bound spell effect as if he cast the spell.

Dizzyfugu

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 10:08

Plus, the user spends the WP for triggering the spell as if casting it in that moment and might also need to know how to activate the item properly, e. g. through the peopr command word (which is defined upon the item's creation).