Jfcanuck
Topic Author

Pursuit rules for 2E

Sat 01 Apr 2023, 15:23

I know there were some great fan made pursuit rules for 1E.
Was wondering if there are any for 2E. I am working on creating a "pursuit board" I will print and have handy to put on the table for those significant pursuits.

I may just adapt the travel system to this but if anyone has any pursuit rules ready...

DarrenH

Re: Pursuit rules for 2E

Sat 01 Apr 2023, 20:37

I was wondering about this too. I want to try Strider Mode and I figure a lone PC will spend a lot of time running away from things. I considered the Skill Endeavour rules using Athletics or Stealth as appropriate. Maybe Riddle if you are tricking your pursuers to throw them off?

mrdabakkle

Sun 30 Apr 2023, 17:59

I am pretty sure that the design intention is that skill endeavours are to cover any kind of extended activity that players might engage in. Chasing a murderer through city streets. Is the assailant very fast and do they have an advantage. Set resistance to 9 and using Ruins of the Lost Realm alternative rules how much time do the players have? Maybe the assailant is close to the city gate and has horses at that point it will be too hard and if they fail they will have to track them in a journey. So maybe the time limit is 3. They need 9 successes in 3 rolls. Skill endeavors really run the gambit of things the players might do. The LM can think of interesting things for if players fail or fail with eyes. Maybe the amount of eyes rolled will result in a larger combat if the players succeed in the chase. The assailant met up with his buddies.
The One Ring and Adventure's in Middle-earth Discord Server: https://discord.me/theonering
The One Ring Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/oneringrpg/

Jfcanuck
Topic Author

Sun 30 Apr 2023, 22:30

I designed my own sub-system to represent pursuits (think aragorn in two towers pursuing the uruk).
I designed a board I printed to represent the chase and added skills for each range that players can roll to gain advantage dice.

Tested it out and it worked wonderfully as my party was escaping from Mount Gram with a relic with goblins hot on their rails and saved prisoners with them. It added flavor and tension to the process vs a blender skill endeavor!