DaydreamDaveyy

Re: Reforged Power 2.0 Alpha/Beta

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 19:39

Popping in with another couple of questions and suggestions!

Animal Whisperer Talent:
Ride: “This training is included for pray animals like horses…” – I guess you meant animals that don’t hunt other animals? You can “pray” in church, “prey” animals are deer and such. ;D
War: Same mistake here, written “pray” instead of “prey”. Also: “You no longer need to make an animal handling roll to keep the animal from fleeing if it is wounded, there is loud noises, heavy smell of blood, or general confusion around it.” – did we had to make such rolls? I don’t see mentions of this in PH (but I do get why we should make such rolls).
Attack: “You spend a fast action to have you animal attacks a target once.” – should be "your", not "you" and “attack”, not “attacks”.

Bowyer: Extended Options:
What is the concept behind composite crossbow? Right now, it only forgoes the Iron, Forge and Smith talent needed and adds 1 week to crafting time – shouldn’t it also gain same bonuses as composite bow (+1 Weapon Die and increase in range)?
Can you also clarify how Rawhide Backing is beneficial in conjunction with higher ranks of a Bowyer talent? Why is it any different than just using a talent to add Weapon Bonuses without backing? It only adds +1 Weapon Bonus (I can do that already with ranks in Bowyer), while adding -3 modifier from my Crafting roll (in addition to -8 from Rank 5 Bowyer, for example?) AND it cannot exceed bonuses granted from masterworking anyway!

Dirty Fighting Talent:
Ranks 4 and 5: “…but doing so makes you unable to do that same version of Feint for the rest of the encounter.” – so rank 4 I can understand, you do one free feint per 15 minutes/encounter (whichever comes first?), but in rank 5, the wording cancels each other: we may use feint as free action once per round, AND we are unable to do that “version” for the rest of the encounter?

Firm Grip Talent:
Rank 5: You already cannot be disarmed at all at rank 3, maybe it should be something different? Or maybe push down ranks 4 and 5 and make rank 3 the new rank 5? Or just rewrite rank 3 as “You cannot be disarmed while wielding one-handed weapons and two-handed weapon with two hands”? This would make current rank 5 cover the only example where you could still be disarmed.

Heavy Weapon Fighter Talent:
Rank 4: Maybe instead of “If you down all those attacked…” it could read “When you Break your opponent with a Swing weapon attack…”?

Intuitive Talent:

Rank 4: Double “when you when you”.

Inventor Talent:

Rank 5: Missing “When” at the beginning of the second paragraph.

Leader Talent:
Rank 3: “You can add a D8 Artifact Die when you use (there’s “make use”, no need for "make"!) Performance…”.

Meditation Talent:
Rank 1: About Short breaks module, it should say “…and doesn’t allow you to regain more THAN 1 point…” – “than” is missing.

Smith: Extended Options:
Non-metal materials: Should it say how much of this exquisite wood is used and/or how much metal can be replaced by this wood?

Tailor: Extended Options:
Why Tailor gives you knack for art…? :D

This concludes Talents chapter - I will not have time for more reading tommorow, but will pick up from Combat chapter first thing Saturday morning! I'm at about 1/3 of the Player's Booklet, so still some way to go!

Enhanced Masterwork Talents, but Tougher Repairs:
I can see if I can rewrite it better. Perhaps all extra dice above what is normal for the weapon could add to this? So even a non-magical or magical d8, d10 and d12 would add a penalty? Just so that the craft talent will not feel obsolete once your players are rolling in magical gear.
Oh yeah, definitely add d8/10/12 to penalties! I would very much think that ancient magic enclosed in this artifacts to be quite hard to work with!
"Many fall in the face of Chaos. But not this one - not today."

JohanR
Topic Author

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 00:53

New beta version 1.9.17 of the Player's booklet.
I think I fixed everything mentioned in both posts.

Animal Whisperer Talent:
War:
Well... not really? But you can buy a horse for 2 gold and a combat trained horse for 8 gold. So I think there should be some important difference there... This talent can perhaps help to specify things like that a bit better if used?
It also makes the Animal Handling skill better.. and that skill could benefit from some love.

What is the concept behind composite crossbow?
I actually didn't think that there should be any. It would be hard to really make it better than one made from metal..? it was just a way to get rid of the Smith requirements... but I will actually remove the extra week. I don't think that is necessary. I will clarify that it isn't better.
I actually think the real benefit is that these can now be field repaired, while a crossbow would need a Forge.

Dirty Fighting Talent:
Will clarify. You can use all different variants for free. But no more than 1 free per round and no variant can be used more than once per encounter.
So you can throw sand in the face of your opponent during once round for free, then the next round you cannot throw sand for free, but you can try to kick his groin for free, and so on.

Firm Grip Talent:
Well, rank 4 says that you again can be disarmed if you DO hold a two-handed melee weapon with one hand. So rank 5 again makes it un-disarmable. So it does do something..
I'll try to clarify it a bit better. Or do you think it needs improving?

Smith: Extended Options:
No, if you can replace any non-metal materials, like the wood in in a axe's handle with some rare for of wood like "iron wood" (if that material is allowed in the GM's booklet),you can gain a bonus to the crafting roll, but only as long as you actually masterwork the axe (if the axe head is poor, I don't think the handle will add that much, especially as the new wood could be harder to work with). You don't replace the metal with wood.

Why Tailor gives you knack for art…? :D
I agree that it feels odd. The reasons where:
- Tailor was the only talent that was about making things look nicer at higher levels in the core rules. So if they have a knack for making things look more pleasing, art isn't too far away from that?
- A tailor uses a needle, so I could add tattoo making to them. And tattoos are art. So then painting could come naturally? And both kind of use ink?
- Cloth dyes for making clothes look nicer, would not be too far away from painting dyes?
- Tailor is really often the last crafting talent someone would take? So adding more usability could make it feel more worthwhile?
...so that was my thought process.. Art was missing and I didn't feel like adding a whole new talent for that (not so fun making 1-5 ranks for painting). That would just feel like another talent no one would take.
It could perhaps have been better explained though? Any ideas on how to rewrite it?

DaydreamDaveyy

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 08:00

Haha, no, let's leave art for tailors, that's okay!

So, regarding Dirty Fighting, you can only use dirt in eyes once per encounter, because the enemy already knows that trick?
Can you also clarify how Rawhide Backing is beneficial in conjunction with higher ranks of a Bowyer talent? Why is it any different than just using a talent to add Weapon Bonuses without backing? It only adds +1 Weapon Bonus (I can do that already with ranks in Bowyer), while adding -3 modifier from my Crafting roll (in addition to -8 from Rank 5 Bowyer, for example?) AND it cannot exceed bonuses granted from masterworking anyway!
Can you also refer to this one?

JohanR
Topic Author

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 11:30

Dirty fighting: I justified it that way when writing it... that if you threw sand as a free action, then you exposed your "dirty ways" and the enemies would not fall for it again during the combat.
But it should probably be rewritten... It actually very strange that as soon as you use it as a free action, well THEN the enemies around you suddenly will not fall for that trick again, and you disable that attack. It makes it feel very gamey and not rpg-like. I should probably come up with something better... will need to think about it.

Rawhide Backing: Oh, sorry I somehow missed that. Good find. I should probably reduce it to -1?
Then you can either take a -2 penalty and twice the time to make an item,
or spend raw hide (and possibly wax) to lower the penalty to -1 and skip the double required time.
Or should I replace it with something else? Perhaps just that you can add these materials to gain a +1 or +2 bonus to craft rolls when making masterwork versions of these bows? That might be simpler.

DaydreamDaveyy

Sat 01 Apr 2023, 19:50

Rawhide Backing: Oh, sorry I somehow missed that. Good find. I should probably reduce it to -1?
Then you can either take a -2 penalty and twice the time to make an item,
or spend raw hide (and possibly wax) to lower the penalty to -1 and skip the double required time.
Or should I replace it with something else? Perhaps just that you can add these materials to gain a +1 or +2 bonus to craft rolls when making masterwork versions of these bows? That might be simpler.
I put my vote on the simple path: if you add the materials for Rawhide backing, then give yourself +1 (not +2, as Rawhide is easy to get) for masterworking that bow!

Moving on to the last of my suggestions/feedback for Player's Handbook!

Bolts/Quarrels:
“Crossbow ammunition differs from that of a now and arrow.” – “now” instead of “bow”?

Weapon Rebalance, “Why Use These Modules” section:
“3. Why does a sword deal not deal more damage than a dagger?” – to deal or not to deal… That is the question! (tidy up this sentence?)

Inventor Items:
Saltpeter: “If you have access to a barn that is, of for a long time has been…” – “or”, not “of”.

Recreational Drugs:
“These recreational drugs work well with the “Short break” module, but it not all necessary.” – should be “…but it’s not necessary.”?

Hygiene Die:
Take a bath: “If do it during a summer…” – should be “If YOU do it during a summer…”.

Forced March Modifiers:

What is the meaning of “Mounted (does not apply to your mount)” with +1 modifier?

Alternative Weather:
Risk for rain/snowfall (change two words to one maybe - precipitation?): “On a mountain, next to a coat line…” – should be “coast line”.

More Terrain Features:
Shouldn’t mountains receive some plusses for defense, if hills do?
Quagmire: “If you are a tanner, you may can make a survival…” – remove “may”?

Types of work force:
Defense: Can you clarify this whole paragraph for me? Especially “Half the used housing can count towards 1 person in a mob”? This is hard to grasp for me.

Functions in Stronghold:
Barn: “A barn can keep and feed 15 large animals of 60 small…” – should be OR, not “of”. Also slight suggestion – this building can keep 15 large or 60 small animals, while a herder can take care of 12 large or 48 small – maybe barns could be simplified to house the same amount of animals a herder can take care of?

Another point, I was always stumped with time required for building functions. How much people is required for finishing stronghold functions and buildings in a timeframe written in the books? I can perfectly imagine one man building a bridge in a time of two weeks, like you wrote, or putting together a nice beehive in 1 Quarter Day, but a Fortress (listed in PH, p. 194) could not be built by just one man in a year. Can we maybe think of something to cover that aspect? I was thinking about something like this (using Forbidden Lands 45-day long “phases” with 5 9-day weeks each):
• Any building or stronghold function with a construction time equal to or under 1 week can be completed in listed time by one PC/NPC, for example a cottage (1 week build time) can be completed in a week by one man.
• Each week above the first requires another worker to complete construction in listed time, for example a tower would require two workers (2 weeks build time), a stone house would require five workers (1 month/phase build time) and a castle would require 200 workers (5x8x5 – 5 years of 8 phases each, each phase being 5 weeks).
• For every missing worker, the building would take one week more to complete, for example one man could build a tower in 3 weeks (2 weeks + 1 for one missing worker), a stone house would be finished by one man in 1 month and 4 weeks’ time (5 weeks/1 month + 4 weeks for four missing workers) and so on.

Battles at the Stronghold:
Field combat losses: Commander: “Can only be selected if more than one group of attackers remain.” – shouldn’t it be “…if NO more than one…”? As in, if one side has two or more units, their commander can’t be Broken, because they’re guarding him?
Arson Event: Fire Contained (“i” is missing in “contained”).
Laying Siege with a Trebuchet: should there be some instructions how to repair damaged buildings?
Ammunition: Arrows/Bolts: „In field combat, arrows/bolts are only spent during the first turn of combat and then also yields a bonus instead of a penalty.“ – I understand this is to simulate opening volleys? Then it should perhaps be clarified to not give a bonus, nor a penalty (to simulate not shooting into the fray where your own troops are)?
Caltrops: “If your soldiers can throw out a 10 units of caltrops per Combat Rating…” – per what Combat Rating? Enemy cavalry? Should be clarified.

Setting Up a Shop:
Found Treasure: “If you succeed a manipulation roll, you may try to sell your found treasure, these can be sold as “fast deals” at no penalty.” - If I understand correctly, with a succeeded Manipulation roll I can sell these treasures in a Quarter Day with no penalty to the price, e.g., full rolled price and not 25% of rolled price? Should be clarified.

Also, can you explain the importance of wagons/warehouses?

Stronghold Management:
“It makes keeping count if resources much easier.” – should be “of”, not “if”.

I'm gonna be honest, I did not read the whole spell lists. I hope maybe someone else can take up the challenge?
I will take tommorow day off, as this have become my daily routine at this point, haha. ;D This is tiring, man! Now I double-appreciate the work you've done! Thank you one more time!

Will start on Monday with Gamemaster Booklet :)

JohanR
Topic Author

Sun 02 Apr 2023, 20:15

Awesome! I'm so very happy that you took the time to read through this!
I think I fixed most things you mentioned?
Updated both booklets to version 1.9.18. The GM's booklet is kind of finished up to page 54. The rest is only semi-finished. It should be kind of obvious when it is and when it is not. I will hopefully continue writing on Wednesday.

Forced March Modifiers:
Added:
* This only applies to the rider, the mount can still not hike for more than 2 Quarter Days before you have to roll for animal handling.

More Terrain Features:
My thinking was that for hills you would build your stronghold at the top of the hill and use the elevation to your advantage in defense.
For a mountain, I though that actually building your stronghold at the very top of the thing would be very impractical for many reasons, like too much snow, too windy, too hard to supply. That most tops would be kind of inaccessible? If the valleys of "high mountain" terrain is inaccessible maybe the tops of regular mountains are too?
So you rather build it on a slope, and then maybe your attackers could have some troops could help the attacking from some nearby even higher elevation or so, and that would negate the defensive bonus?
That said, they probably still should have the +1 bonus? I think there are a lot of successful mountain forts, and they were probably built there for a reason. Like you might just build it at one of the lowest peaks? Or the slopes and limited directions of attacks might give you a +1 bonus? So I will add the defense bonus there as well.

Types of work force:
Changed it to:
Defense: If you use the “Varied forces” module, then on a suc-cessful performance roll, they can form an angry mob of half a person per status/housing in use in the Stronghold. But you must provide arms and armor.

Functions in Stronghold:
It was so that you could stuff 12 cows and 12 sheep in there. The same amount as one sheepfold + one pasture.
But I am open for suggestions! i could just add that the amount allows you to fit one sheepfold + one pasture worth of animals if that would make it better?

Regarding construction times:
I also found the construction times a bit silly. I simply tried to keep in line with what was written in the PHB. If it would take much longer it would also make for a boring time for the PCs that selected the builder talent. So I kept it, as it increases flow and fun. I also think these rivers are kind of big, so building a sturdy bridge over them in just 2 weeks, that allows for wagons and horses, would be stretching things. So since making it slower might reduce player "fun", I think I'll leave it up to individual GM's if the deem it necessary to increase construction times. If my player's would complain (they will not), I'll likely say that the basic functions are done in that week or whatever, and that it is then constantly improved over time by the workers assigned in that area or something like that.

Battles at the Stronghold:
Field combat losses: Commander: Yes, good catch, fixed.

Laying Siege with a Trebuchet: should there be some instructions how to repair damaged buildings?
Maybe? The rules only say that repairing a leaky roof takes a Quarter Day, so this would probably be the minimum amount of time spent? Perhaps turn months into weeks, weeks into days and days into quarter days? No resource cost an a successful roll, then it is just repaired. On a failed roll it is instead demolished? Resources like stone and iron could remain, wood, well could be treated as firewood atleast. I'll add a section for that.
Then I would also rule, that you cannot repair ramparts, etc, without stepping outside your stronghold and then maybe right into the hands of the enemy. So you will likely not be able to repair some things while the siege lasts.

Ammunition: Arrows/Bolts: I used this to say that not having ammunition in a stronghold combat is a penalty (according to the tables). But in open combat it is not as necessary, so you are not penalized for not having ammunition there, ammunition is there instead added as a bonus dice (according to the tables). But I will just remove that part, it just adds confusion and doesn't really add anything.

Caltrops: Yes, that rule was kind of not so good. Changed it to:
"If your soldiers can throw out 1 units of caltrops per soldier you field in combat..."
I.e. if you have very large ranks, you would need more caltrops for the caltrops to be effective and protect all your flanks.

Setting Up a Shop:
Found Treasure: Yes. Will clarify.
Also, can you explain the importance of wagons/warehouses? Added some clarification: "If you are not in your own Stronghold, then you can do this without a marketplace, and then you also don’t need a wagon or warehouse to sell from multiple categories at once, se hawker (new type of hireling) for more information".
It was just to make it slightly harder to pawn off stuff in your own settlement, as they will generally already have more access to the items you try to sell? Emphasizing trade. It was hard to come up with something.. so there could likely be better rules for this?

DaydreamDaveyy

Tue 04 Apr 2023, 08:47

Types of work force:
Changed it to:
Defense: If you use the “Varied forces” module, then on a suc-cessful performance roll, they can form an angry mob of half a person per status/housing in use in the Stronghold. But you must provide arms and armor.
So, for example, if I have 30 common residents (fisherman, a couple of herbalists etc) then upon successfuly rolling on performance I would have 15 angry people that together make 1 "angry mob" for defense purposes, correct? (I would need 30 angry people to make "angry mob" unit for attacking?)
And if I had 20 inventors (status 4), upon successfuly rolling on performance, I would have 40 ([20x4]/2) angry people to make 2 defensive or 1 aggressive "angry mob" units and 10 "loose" people?

Functions in Stronghold:
It was so that you could stuff 12 cows and 12 sheep in there. The same amount as one sheepfold + one pasture.
But I am open for suggestions! i could just add that the amount allows you to fit one sheepfold + one pasture worth of animals if that would make it better?
I think I like the idea of 1 barn = 1 type of animal, so I personaly will stick with that in my games, but you should definitely add that your calculations are made with 1 sheepfold + 1 pasture in mind!
Also, you forgot to change a spelling error in a barn entry - "barn can fit and feed 15 large animals (like cows) of 60 small (like sheep)". "of" should be "or"!

Setting Up a Shop:
Found Treasure: Yes. Will clarify.
Also, can you explain the importance of wagons/warehouses? Added some clarification: "If you are not in your own Stronghold, then you can do this without a marketplace, and then you also don’t need a wagon or warehouse to sell from multiple categories at once, se hawker (new type of hireling) for more information".
It was just to make it slightly harder to pawn off stuff in your own settlement, as they will generally already have more access to the items you try to sell? Emphasizing trade. It was hard to come up with something.. so there could likely be better rules for this?
Okay, I think I understand now, thank you. The rules are alright, no need to change them I think, economy in TTRPGs was always convoluted :D

JohanR
Topic Author

Tue 04 Apr 2023, 16:50

Work force:
I was thinking that you don't actually count individual residents, you just directly look at the housing they as as a total.
If someone uses 2 housing, there are more likely to have a family, so one might help out and the other might take care of children. If someone uses 4 resources, well, maybe they have an apprentice or so that can help out, (or maybe they are bad-ass enough to count as two). If they use 1 housing they might have a family too, but 50% that they are the one to take care of kids, or just is unwilling to fight.
While there might not be enough of them to actually fill a rank, maybe they can be useful anyway.
Perhaps turn into a group of 0 points, that at least can man the walls until they are breached?
Perhaps they can join another group that is a few man short?
I you use other modules, then I also added at least two things in the GM's booklet that can make them count as thugs instead as an angry mob. If I remember correctly.
They are not really lost, but some might turn out as killed or wounded after the battle, just like with regular troops (if their unit is broken, roll for critical injuries as needed.)
I tried to rewrite it slightly, also changed conscripted work, the section above this.
If you have better ideas or how I could better word this, then please do tell! I am open for suggestions :)

Functions in Stronghold:
I changed the Barn, so that it only houses 12 cows, or 4 times as many small animals.
Also fixed the spelling error.

Edited again: I should reduce stable to 12 horses as well then I guess... I will also lower the required wood for the barn by a hundred. As individual stalls in a stable will take up more space, than a barn without individual enclosures.
Updated Player's booklet to version 1.9.20.

JohanR
Topic Author

Thu 06 Apr 2023, 15:27

Gamemaster's booklet now updated to alpha 1.9.21. Pages up to page 102 are now kind of in their final form (but probably with a lot of typos).
The remaining pages (103-115) will need a more thorough overhaul though. If you have any ideas for improving them, I'll gladly take that, the sooner the better! ...but don't focus to much on them, as they will be rewritten.

DaydreamDaveyy

Sat 08 Apr 2023, 22:29

Sorry to be absent so long, was doing certifications to enter new job!

Player's Booklet
Trophy Hall - "So duplicate entries and very week monsters... - should be "weak", not "week".

Gamemaster's Booklet
Survey the Land
  • Drop the first comma and "takes" should be "take", so: Here follows the tables and complete rules for when players take the "survey the land"...
  • A failed roll: second sentence is kinda oddly written, I would simply suggest something like this:
    The player cannot (or will automatically fail to) survey the same area for a week.

New Encounter Tables - I don't quite understand what do you want to do here? "New Encounters" section is just below this section.

New Encounters:
  • 4. The False Genie - "...but he froze, to afraid to do anything." - should be "too", not "to".
    "They party might need to light... - should be "The", not "they".
  • 10. Temple of the Serpent Goddess - "...while currently feed... - should be "fed" instead of "feed".
  • 12. Sirens - "All of them immediately have to..." - it sounds as the sirens have to make an Insight roll, so maybe rewrite it as "The PCs immediately..."?
  • 13. The Graverobber - "...with an iron crow crowbar..." - should it be written like that? The double "crow" part?
  • 14. Drowned Ones - "...or try too loose them." - should be "to", not "too".
  • 16. Flayed Ones - "As you approach was looks like a partially burnt down hamlet. - should be "what", not "was". Also, I think you wanted the first and second sentence of flavor text to not be separate and should use comma instead of dot? I would rewrite the beginning as such (I underlined the fixes):
    As you approach what looks like a partially burnt down hamlet, a thick smell of smoke still lingers from the burned down buildings.
  • 18. The Crossroad Beggar - first paragraph of mechanical text is written oddly, I would start, instead of "if given or not given..." with: "Whether the PCs have given their coins or not...".
  • 19. The Infiltrator - "Ideally, they would want access to the player's Stronghold. - the "to" is missing.
  • 29. Compelled Thruths - The will find the thruths... - it should be "they", not "the".
  • 38. Spirited Away - "...anyone that tried to chop of its legs." - should be "tries" instead of "tried" and "chop off" instead of "chop of".
  • 41. Stranger on the Trail - "As you travels along... - should be "travel", not "travels".
  • 49. Troupe - "Bunner is the Ringmaster is a generally jolly fellow." - maybe instead of "is", it could read "and"?
  • 51. The Funeral Pyre - flavor text: "From their shouts, it seems that he was a warrior..." - should be "she" as this text talks about deceased Kordula?
  • 52. Howler's Eve - "...and are upheld by the "Shepherdess" and the elderly woman (add "named" here?) Unvu. - maybe it would be better to exchange "and" with dash, because right now it reads as there being two women, while Unvu and the Shepherdess are the same person?
    "The Shepherdess was beside herself..." - do you mean she was there to witness it? Maybe should be rewritten?
    "SL chooses Orme or Korp as she finds suitable." - I suspect "SL" is "GM" in swedish? ;D
  • 54. The Forest Nymph and the Lumberjack - "They are more obsessed with her than before and SL can suggest..." - same as before, "SL" instead of "GM"?
    In Legend as told by Josias there is a spelling error - "If sge did not give him her heart... - should be "she".
    Lumberjack stat block, Immortality section - "Coup de grace attacks can kill also kill him." - only one "kill" needed :)
    Flock of Lost Souls stat block, attack #4 - "The restless souls are consumed by a consuming hatred..." Buttery butter, maybe rewrite it as "...are consumed by burning hatred..."?

That's all for me today, will pick up next time from Monsters chapter. Also, in the table of contents, there are 2 additional encounters but they are not listed in the chapter. What's up with that?