decanox

Re: "Destroyer of Worlds" Talk (spoiler warning)

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 13:12

Hi again...

I have not began the Cinematic scenario yet but I see two problems:

1.- There are no pictures of some xenomorphs and NPCs. For example, It has been really (really) difficult to find on google a decent picture of a worker or weaver xenomorph because simply there is none. I would use an albino drone picture (finally I found a detailed toy). But it's almost the same case for chargers (there is a photo of a game) and bodybursters (I found a comic based on the old Alien 3 script written by William Gibson which could fit with the description of a bodyburster). It's the same case for UPP soldiers where there is only a small image of a UPP cosmonaut in the rulebook. So I ask to Free League, please, draw a bit more pictures! so we could use some images in our games.

2.- Some maps are so small that they are difficult to implement in roll20 or to print on a sheet. It's the case of Climber Car plans. I have pasted them in jpg format and they have only 31 kbs... The other maps included in the book (not in the mats which are decent) have a similar problem: less than 200 kbs.

Nebulous72

Sat 19 Dec 2020, 22:45

I am prepping this now for Roll20. We really enjoyed Chariot of the Gods, and I think running it in Roll20 (or your preferred online system) is probably superior to in person given the huge versatility offered in maps. I think Destroyer will be better than Chariot and the plot itself is far more robust I do have a few questions though that I would like help with. I'm not completely done reading the whole thing, but I have enough ready for a 2 hour first session.

I am having some confusion over the purpose of Major Hatfield VS. Commanding Officer of Fort Nebraska: Colonel Myers. Meyers is give a picture and statblock and extensive background and story plot, but it seems Major Hatfield is the first NPC the players meet and gives them the initial AWOL orders, but he has no picture or stats or very much other than this:

Now, Major Hatfield from the infamous
“Sin Eaters” unit has summoned you for a
special moon-side mission. Every Marine has
heard of Hatfield—a real soldier who always
puts duty first, and lost his arm as a result.
His remaining left hand is always resting on
the brass hilt of his antique US model 1852
Marine sword, with its sharkskin grip bound
by gilt wire. His hand grips the hilt as he
speaks.

Is MAJOR HATFIELD even necessary to the scenario or could Colonel Myers be swapped out? If not, then why? Thanks for any clarification.

Fragpuss

Sun 20 Dec 2020, 13:03

I don't think Hatfield is essential - apart from the briefing and his heroic final charge, he doesn't really feature, hence the lack of stats. I think his main function is to be a grizzled veteran officer that the PCs would greatly respect and be motivated to to do a good job for (and avenge).

You could easily substitute Meyers in for the briefing and occasional radio updates, but as 'just' the base commander (and the head of a secret programme they know nothing about), he probably wouldn't resonate with the PCs as much.

Personally, I'd stick with Hatfield for a bit of additional flavour...Although, I think when I run it, I'll have Meyers make a brief guest appearance at the briefing, so that the PCs recognise him when they find him in Act 3.

Pangea

Fri 01 Jan 2021, 18:07

My feeling is that Hatfield is not corrupted by W-Y like Meyers.
For me, when Hatfield sends his crew out to get the AWOL back, he is not doing it like Meyers would, so removing Hatfield to be replaced by Meyers would change things.
Meyers is directly involved in the Xeno stuff, profits from it etc..
It seems to me that Hatfield probably knows stuff, but is not implicated in the same way.
Maybe he even blocks the moon evac' and wants his guys (the PCs) to get the AWOLs back etc. so the "disease" does not spread.
Meyers would only ask for things to cover his ass and keep his $.
Or so I imagined...
Playing in France, and online

Lecomte1973

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 16:55

You can google him and find the real Major Hatfield from WWI.https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item ... /205300890 og the current Major Hatfield: https://www.army.mil/article/117676/com ... l_hatfield from the US Army
MU/TH/UR and farther of two and a trained forensic pathologist.

strangecoloursFL

Wed 29 Mar 2023, 16:10

Destroyers of Worlds and wider spoilers:

In the events section, Hatfield appears to have died a hero's death defending Fort Nebraska (his ceremonial sword is found in the rubble), where Meyers is still trying to get his gear off-moon, in cryo with a chest-burster inside, intending to leave the PCs behind (with Meyers sidekick Jaell) on the surface to clean up the AWOL loose ends. In our cinematic run-through, the PCs find Hatfield dead as scripted (Silva in particular knew him well, I gave her expanded back-story on how they'd served together on Sin-Eater missions), and catch up with Meyers in the final act, blaming him (and Eckford) for all that's befalling/befallen them. Meyers was left, tied up and at the mercy of whatever* was in the weapons bay (including a nuke timed to go off). Jaell makes more sense working with Meyers's life-force project than the Sin-Eaters. If I remember right, Meyers may be associated with another group of black ops marines, the Blackguards, which are supposed to have visited the Cronus!