Idar
Topic Author

Homebrewing rules/mechanics

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 14:51

Hi all, need some advice about some rules/mechanics I'm thinking of adding, don't want it to be op or unbalanced or something that already exist only that I don't get it.
1 Thinking of adding something like The Devils bargain from blades in the dark were players get an extra Dice/sucsess for a price, like harm or lose an item. For example: the player tries to pick a lock, gets an extra dice but loses the lock picks.

2 Adding some sort of Focus rule were they can get an extra Dice for really pushing them self or really examining a puzzle or something. Like if a player tries to jump over a ditch but don't have that much in mobility, but really uses all their strength to do it. (Or is that just how the advantage are spopused to work, can't really wrap my head around how it is supposed to be done.)

3 Changing how advantage are run. Like I said above:I can't really wrap my head around how that little scean are suppose to run, like how do I and the player know what to pick?(don't want to give something usless for the adveture) I'm thinking of changing it so it works cinda like a Flashback in
Blades in the dark (have been listening to a Blade campain alot so feel inspired i guess). My idé is that the players can call for a flashback once when ever they whant to or say that they want use their advantage and then they describe how they got it and how it applies. Ex for an Educational roll about ghost they say that they read a scroll "5 ways to get rid of Ghosts" about how to exorcist them back in the castle.

Sorry for the long somewhat rambling post, have had these thoughts floating around for awhile but no-one to bounce them with.

PeterRandel

Re: Homebrewing rules/mechanics

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 20:09

Maybe you do not need the rules?
Think "fail forward" as a concept. If a roll fails, or if there are no successes in the dice roll, then that does not mean that the characters fail, they still succeed but at a price.
Look at page 39 and 40 in the rule book, and then think about how do you use the "failure" to further the story you are telling with your friends/players.
In my view the rules are so light and simple that it leaves us plenty of room to simply focus on having fun and telling stories together.

My friends and I have a long history of playing D&D and it has taken us some time to adjust to this way of playing... and it is fun :-)

Best regards
Peter

Idar
Topic Author

Re: Homebrewing rules/mechanics

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 08:57

Hi Peter. Will look at the pages you recommended, thank you.
Maybe I'm just overthinking due to lack of experience, this will be my 3d adventure so haven't dmd much :) also come from playing dnd btw:)