Nephilim225

Re: One Ring Dice Set

Thu 04 Aug 2022, 13:40

Hi I just bought the Starter set, which arrived today and the dice were incorrect. Came looking online and found this thread. So are people just painting over them (looking at comments) or are they being replaced by Free league?

Fenhorn

Thu 04 Aug 2022, 13:47

Regarding replacements, you have to ask support@frialigan.se about that.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Otaku-sempai

Thu 04 Aug 2022, 16:03

For the time being you can either just treat the 11 as 1 or subtract 1 from all numerical Feat die rolls.
#FideltyToTolkien

Niallism

Fri 17 Mar 2023, 09:23

Apparently, FL are still sending out the faulty dice with purchases from their own website. There's no excuse for this.

Edit: A reply from their CS person about this:

Hello ​Niallism,

I understand your concern. We do send replacement feat dice to all affected customers, free of charge. Like we did for the backers after the Kickstarter. If you have not received replacements from us, we're happy to see to it for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience and I wish you a nice day!

Kind regards,
Jenny
Customer Support
Free League Publishing

I think that's really bad. You can't knowingly sell faulty merchandise and pretend you're an ethical company.

Dunheved

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 10:44

Apparently, FL are still sending out the faulty dice with purchases from their own website. There's no excuse for this.
Edit: A reply from their CS person about this:
Hello ​Niallism,

I understand your concern. We do send replacement feat dice to all affected customers, free of charge. Like we did for the backers after the Kickstarter. If you have not received replacements from us, we're happy to see to it for you.

Sorry for the inconvenience and I wish you a nice day!

Kind regards,
Jenny
Customer Support
Free League Publishing
I think that's really bad. You can't knowingly sell faulty merchandise and pretend you're an ethical company.
On the other hand, FL have honoured all replacements - as far as I know and read about. And at no separate charge. When a company operate like that I would hesitate to suggest they are "unethical".

If older stock/wrong dice are still going out I suspect they are simply not being checked before dispatch. There are other words to use for this: maybe "casual"? Ethical action is to do the "right thing" . And by correcting things when they are done wrong, I think that qualifies as ethical action. They don't ask for the substandard dice to be returned, so they can send it out again, do they? *

Surely you would have to believe that the company are deliberately, knowingly and wilfully sending out substandard dice sets to be unethical. And that their dispatch staff are being instructed to do so.

*anecdotally something that may be levelled at some on-line retailers if the Reviews are to be trusted

Niallism

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 05:02

If you ask FL directly if they are selling the faulty dice, they say that they are but you can ask for replacements.

Knowingly selling faulty goods is unethical even if you do other ethical things such as replacing them after.

Im sorry, but what I see here is a parasocial relationship causing some to defend a minor but clearly unacceptable choice FL has made to reduce their costs.

Xelforp

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 13:08

If you ask FL directly if they are selling the faulty dice, they say that they are but you can ask for replacements.

Knowingly selling faulty goods is unethical even if you do other ethical things such as replacing them after.

Im sorry, but what I see here is a parasocial relationship causing some to defend a minor but clearly unacceptable choice FL has made to reduce their costs.
I'm not sure how this reduces cost? Wouldn't it be cheaper to send out the correct dice immediately rather than send them separetely later?

gyrovague

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 20:36

I'm tempted to buy up all the faulty dice and put them in a safe deposit box with my upside-down airplane stamps.

Dunheved

Wed 29 Mar 2023, 18:22

1. Out of curiosity, what was the actual question asked: e.g. "Are you deliberately selling faulty dice?" OR " "Are you aware that currently dice sets you are selling still have faulty dice in them?"

2. On this we simply disagree whether correcting a fault is sufficient to overcome a negative label. I think that if you fail an exam, and then pass that exam on a subsequent attempt, you deserve the credit.

3. I too am actually critical of FL, but would consider it possible that they are guilty of casual - or lazy if you prefer- management of this issue.
Since I do not know if FL are saying it is acceptable for them to dispense faulty Feat dice or not, I feel the choice of "unethical" is too damaging a label to apply here. Based on their actions, it is (as another post points out) more likely that there is zero cost reduction here, rather the opposite. They are covering replacement and postage costs. The speed FL have acted and their complete acceptance of the problem actually suggest to me that "Ethical" is a fairer label.

I also find your application of the phrase "parasocial" curious. I had a scientific training in my education, and I just need strong evidence to apply strong opinions. Jumping to conclusions about the motives for the actions of others is alien to that training. It may well be that FL are an unethical company, but this is insufficient evidence to conclude that. So far the evidence points in the exactly opposite direction.
(And I would hope to be just as parasocial in any other instance.)

Niallism

Sun 02 Apr 2023, 16:07

They know some dice sets have faulty dice, and just sell the faulty sets mixed in with others. Some people get sets with the 11 showing clearly through the plastic pack, so there really is zero quality control in their website sales. I really don’t know how to be clearer about that, and I think it’s clear some people want to find a complex situation and therefore an excuse.

What they should do is go through the dice sets and separate out the faulty ones, and not sell them. That would cost time and money, so they don’t. Is it a big deal? I don’t think so. Is it ethical? I don’t think so.

I think the reason some people defend this is they feel an emotional connection to the company, even though of course the company is unaware of them. That is called a parasocial relationship. Are scientists free from emotion and bias in their personal lives? I don’t know. A good research paper on that would be interesting.