Thrag
Topic Author

Encounter distance and visibility

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 09:12

The Terrain Types table (p.138 Player’s Manual) give the distance to an encounter. For example, the distance to an encounter in Open/Clear terrain can be up to 400 hexes. However, the Weather & Darkness table (p.160 Player’s Manual) gives limits of visibility. If the rolled encounter distance is greater than the visibility limit, which of these options is the better interpretation:
  • The encounter is out of range (known by the referee) but the PCs can't see it yet
  • An encounter is something that directly affect the PCs; in other words, the encounter 'doesn't exist' until the PCs can see it
"If I'm happy, I'm less abusive to the rest of you." -- Homer Simpson

Fenhorn

Re: Encounter distance and visibility

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 10:42

The range to the encounter is the distance from where the PCs can spot the encounter, this will be based on terrain (2d10 x4 hexes for open which will give you a span of 8-80 hexes btw), but weather and darkness can limit this further. For example if there is an encounter at 40 hexes in the open (about average) but the weather is heavy rain, the encounter happens at 20 hexes range thank to the rain.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore