Short Fey
Topic Author

Monster: Ogre

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 20:35

At page 112 there is a picture of an Ogre looking fellow, so i figured he could do with some stats. So I made some. (EDIT: Changed some features of the Ogre, old moves are further below.)

(Edit 2: Enraged Strikes reworked. While the previous version where it would have different effects was fun, it was a bit of a hassle keeping track what they had. Making a simpler version.)

OGRE
Believed by some scholars to be distant descendants of giants, Ogres are brutish, but cunning opportunists. When not living in small communities within old ruins, mountains or swamps, Ogres tend to venture out into the world on their own in search of loot, food and booze. While ambitious individuals might become the leaders of a crew of outlaws or mercenaries, most are content to seek employment under others. Some join bandit clans or the armies of warlords for a share of the spoils, while others seek out settlements of the common kin, taking jobs such as prison guards, bouncers, bodyguards, or soldiers.

Ferocity: 2
Size: Large.
Movement: 10 Armor: Same as equipped Armor HP: 35
Persuadable: Unlike other monsters, Ogres can usually be PERSUADED, albeit with a bane on the roll.
Typical Gear: Morningstar (2d8 bludgeoning), Battleaxe (2d8 Slashing), Long Spear (2d8, Piercing), Studded Leather Armor (2 Armor)

Ogres Might: Ogres can make use of their large size and strength to handle weapons with ease. Ogres can equip 2h weapons as a 1h weapon, keeping their other hand free.

1, Headbutt!
The Ogre delivers its thick skull to the top of its victim's head! The target takes 2D6 bludgeoning damage, and if not wearing a helmet, becomes dazed.

2, Threatining Yell!
The Ogre bellows out in anger. Every player character within 10m must make a WILL roll to resist the fear attack.

3, Brutal Swing!
The Ogre delivers an attack with great force! The Player character takes weapon damage plus an additional d8, and is knocked 2d4 meters away landing prone. This attack can be parried.

4, Foul Breath!
The Ogre lets out a noxious belch at its victim. The Player character must make a CON roll (not an action) to resist the stench. On a failure, they become sickly, and their next roll is done with a bane.

5, Seize!
The Ogre grabs it's victim with a meaty hand upon their face, restraining them and obscuring their view! The Victim is unable to move, and must as a action make a STR roll to break free. Other players can help. They can also attempt to attack the ogre from their position, but make the attack as if in complete darkness. If the Ogre moves while restraining a player, they are dragged along with them, and if the Ogre uses this attack again, they slam their captive onto the ground hard, dealing 2D8 damage, which can not be dodged or parried, but releases them from their grip.

6, Enraged stikes!
The Ogre becomes frustrated and delivers a pair of brutal attacks with their weapon! The Ogre makes two separate weapon attacks, targeting two seperate characters, These attacks deal Weapon Damage and can be parried.

Old Versions:

Tap to the head! The Ogre delivers an bash to the target's head. The target takes weapon damage, and if not wearing a helmet, becomes dazed. This attack can be parried.
Uppercut! The Ogre delivers a powerful uppercut! The target is knocked 2d6 meters away from the Ogre, landing prone, and takes and equal amount of bludgeoning damage.
Brutal Strikes! The Ogre swings its weapon to deliver a pair of devastating blows. The Ogres makes two separate attacks against two player characters, each attack dealing weapon damage. If there is only one target when the Ogre uses this attack, and it has movement left, it can move towards another player character to deliver the second attack, having a boon on its Evade roll against Free Attacks. These Attacks can be parried.
Crushing hug! The Ogre clutches onto a player character and crushes them in their grip. They take D10 of damage before being pushed away from the ogre by 2d4 meters. Armor has no effect.

6, Enraged stike!
The Ogre becomes frustraited and delivers a brutal attack with their weapon! The type of damage the weapon can deal determines which attack it can use. These attacks deal Weapon Damage on a hit along with an additional effect, and can be parried.
Cleave! (Slashing): The ogre slashes in a wide arc! It can hit up to 2 player characters within 2m of each other. Damage is rolled separately.
Skewer! (Piercing): The Ogre lunges to break through the target's armor! On a hit, armor has no effect!
Batter! (Bludgeoning): The Ogre delivers an upwards Swing! On a hit, the player character is knocked 1d4 meters into the air, and lands prone the same distance away from the Ogre, potentially taking fall damage. The Player character can attempt an Acrobatics roll to avoid fall damage as normal.

Ogreish strength: Ogre's make use of their weapons with brutish prowess. When an Ogre performs an attack that deals Weapon Damage with a STR based weapon, they deal an additional D8 to the weapons damage dice, similar to Player characters and Npcs Damage Bonus Dice. Their strength also allows them to wield 2h weapons with one hand.
3, Brutal Swing!
The Ogre delivers an attack with great force! The Player character takes weapon damage, and is knocked 2d4 meters away, landing prone. This attack can be parried.
Last edited by Short Fey on Mon 24 Apr 2023, 21:20, edited 16 times in total.
Beware the fey!

VorpalMace

Re: Monster: Ogre

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 21:06

I would ignore the persuasion bane when food is included. Also, it should have an attack called "Get Out of My Swamp!". Otherwise I dig it. :)

JohnWithAgun

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 09:40

Could use the heavy warhammer or do 3d8(or another unique damage profile), just something to say this is a really big brute and not just a dude with a weapon.

Think you should add something that makes him more unique, like a special rule were he can enrage, eat a dying player for health or something else akin to a "Ogre kin ability"

EDIT:
Maybe different armor profiles depending on attack type? its a rule they have in the core book but dont use much, so having a monster learning into this would be fitting.'
Like strong against magic and bludgeoning maybe?

Raven

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 20:39

Nice work! I think I will use this Ogre in my next Session!
But I think the idea to fix the damage at 4d6 or 3d8 is good. I dont want to Start Mixing up damage Dice for Monsters.

Short Fey
Topic Author

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 21:37

The reason i went with a "damage bonus die" for the Ogre was to represent how brutally strong they are (it can use a die the players can't). But i opted to scale down so it's "typical gear" is 2d6 dice, because otherwise it can deal huge amount of damage that can easily, if not one shot a player bring them down to zero hp. The idea is that the ogre is a somewhat "common" monster that you can encounter even in urban areas where you are less likely to stumble upon on (Like walking into a shady tavern to find one as the bouncer). But them having attacks that can deal HUGE amounts of damage in one swipe can make them a bit to powerful for how "common" they are.
Beware the fey!

bradz

Wed 05 Apr 2023, 22:56

Love this! Thank you for making this stat block. There's also a tiny dragon thing on page 108 that I saw and hoped somebody would stat.

Free League definitely needs to make an extended bestiary for Dragonbane.
Brad. Some kiwi guy who likes ttrpg stuff. I'm not obsessed, *you're* obsessed. Shut up.

VorpalMace

Thu 06 Apr 2023, 09:27

Love this! Thank you for making this stat block. There's also a tiny dragon thing on page 108 that I saw and hoped somebody would stat.
You want it as a pet, huh? :)

Barbarianbob

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 22:52

OK I worked up my own ogre and thought I'd post it here as well as we had a lot of similarities between the two. I created mine from combining elements of a minotaur and a giant. I do like your you Foul Breath ability though, so I might swap one of mine out with that. :D

Ogre
Ferocity: 1 Size: Large
Movement: 16 Armor: 0 HP:32
Typical Gear: Large Wooden Club

1 Ogre Pummel! The ogre slams a meaty fist into a player character, inflicting 2D6 bludgeoning and knocking the victim prone.
2 Crushing Blow! The ogre swings its weapon over its head and bashes a player character with all its might, inflicting weapon damage plus an extra D10. The attack can be parried.
3 Ogre Stomp! The ogre kicks outward with a mighty foot on a player character causing 2D6 damage and knocking the victim 2D6 meters away ending up prone.
4 Ogre War Cry! The ogre lets out a deafening roar that sweeps over all the adventurers. Any victims within 10 meters suffer a fear attack.
5 Head Butt! The ogre slams its thick skull into a victim causing 2D6 damage and leaving its victim dazed, even if their armor prevents any damage.
6 Ogre War Machine! The ogre sweeps its great club in a mighty arc, hitting everyone within 2 meters for weapon damage.
Last edited by Barbarianbob on Fri 21 Jul 2023, 03:57, edited 1 time in total.

Von Ether

Wed 19 Jul 2023, 05:04

Maybe I'm just lazy but I simply took the troll and removed the regeneration.

Barbarianbob

Fri 21 Jul 2023, 03:59

Maybe I'm just lazy but I simply took the troll and removed the regeneration.
Lol... nothing wrong with that!