Giorgiant
Topic Author

[Session Zero] TOR 2E Specific Questions

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 01:36

-For those GMs experienced with starting a new TOR 2E campaign, what Session Zero questions did you ask your players that are specific to the rules, lore, themes, and expectations of this RPG?

Harlath

Re: [Session Zero] TOR 2E Specific Questions

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 12:45

For my Play by Post game, a Flame in the North I asked my players the below. I've added notes on why I asked each question.

- Why are you going to Weatherview, a small hamlet North East of the Weather Hills (we’re starting in medias res, on a journey)? (gives impetus for their first adventure)
- How are you connected to one of the other PCs? (builds links within the group)
- How are you connected to Gandalf? (their chosen patron)
- Who or what are you loyal to? (places the character in the setting, gives them something to defend)
- What are you afraid of? (Plays in to sinister plans later, plus lends something to each character's depth)
- Is there something narrative/mechanical you're keen on? "I'd love a Spear with Biting Dart!" "I want to fight orcs a lot!" "I'd like my character to be the descendant of the royal line of Cardolan!" "I'd like my character to fall in love, and for it to be happy/tragic/unrequited" etc (Give the people what they want!)

I didn't ask much in terms of tone/Tolkien knowledge as they were all people I'd seen in action in other games or via the unofficial discord, so I knew they would get the themes/rules/lore. :)