Maldion

Re: Reforged Power 2.0 Alpha/Beta

Mon 20 Mar 2023, 19:51

nice

Beftrast

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 13:37

I just read over the new release and yeah the formatting is a lot better, it's both easier to read the new crafting options and the new expanded talents. I also got some of my players to look over the document so whatever feedback they give I'll send your way.
A mistake I did notice however is that the 5th rank of Knife Fighter seems to be missing, it just lists rank 4 and then moves on to the new Leader talent.
Another thing that stands out is that in most of the equipment tables on pages 66-75 there are a few entries that are marked by an asterisk, sometimes two asterisks. But what that asterisk signifies in those instances is never explained.
Oh I'd also like to comment that the "Why use this module" textboxes are wonderful, always helpful to see the idea behind rules, makes them easier to understand.

JohanR
Topic Author

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 23:40

Uploaded 1.9.15. It contains the missing rank 5 of knife fighter, it must have been accidentally deleted when I changed other things, and made some minor other corrections to improve readability. I also removed the asterisks, they were a remnant from the 1.2 rules and just meant that it was a new/changed entry. The double asterisk might come back though, but I'll make sure to add some explanation in that case.

Wow, I am so glad that you liked the "Why use this module"!
I started to think that it was a mistake to have added them.

Other news. I have started working on the Gamemaster's booklet again. Manged to write 16 encounters today. But I am generally pretty tired after work, so progress will likely be a bit slow. But I will give at least a day of work per week. I will post a note when I have finished that chapter.

DaydreamDaveyy

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 13:49

Hi JohanR, I just want to say I really appreciate the work you have done on this overhaul! It was very sad seeing you postponed your work because the lack of feedback, and I was so overjoyed seeing the update, I made a profile here just to say "thanks"!
I totally get that lack of feedback perhaps made you think no one is interested in your rules, but I assure you, there are people like me who just lurks here, waiting for it to be complete!
I felt really guilty for not having any feedback and will try to send some your way in the next couple of days. Are there things you are particularly in need of? Or are those you listed in OP and replies to others still current?
"Many fall in the face of Chaos. But not this one - not today."

JohanR
Topic Author

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 01:14

I mostly need proofreading I guess. Since English isn't my native language, there is bound to be a ton of errors hidden in there..?
But there are likely other errors present too.. I very much appreciate any feedback and will try to make changes if you can come up with anything!

But, yeah, the lack of feedback, made me make a (non Forbidden Lands related) card game, and it turned out quite ok. But that still needs more play testing. So while I wait a very long time for that, I might just as well put all effort on this!

Managed to put together 13 encounters today. Next thing will be translating and adding Rasmus encounters found here:
https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4184
They are a bit long for encounters, but really good. He wrote "Feel free to put together tables/pdfs with whatever you like" as the last post in that thread, so I guess that will be ok? Otherwise I'll just remove them.

Player's booklet: It could be the final version I guess, unless you find any more things to change? (please do). If not I will just remove the "beta" text and make it 2.0 as soon as the other booklet is complete.
Game master's booklet: Encounters almost done, will post a new version when I am done. Perhaps Wednesday, if everything goes smoothly? Resources from Bloodmarch will be next (if you have any ideas, I very much appreciate that!). Then the temples need to be worked on, any feedback is appreciated. Then I likely remove the Player races section? Almost all races are based on Strength and they feel to homebrew-ish anyway.. very uninspiring.. NPC section finally needs some adjustments, but I can probably do that quite quickly.
The Game master's booklet will be extra prone for errors as I can't even use my own players as proofreaders.

DaydreamDaveyy

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 22:44

Okay, quite a long post incoming, maybe I will use private message in the upcoming questions/feedback. I've read through first few pages, will do more tomorrow.

READIED ITEMS:
I would change "Only these items are those they can draw as a fast action..." to "Readied items are items that PCs can draw...", I think it sounds better.

WITS TO LEARN MAGIC
The system is confusing: what is the procedure here? My current undestanding:
1. Learn a spell:
1.1. With a teacher: no rolls, no resources, no grimoire, just Quarter Day of training
1.2. Without a teacher: roll (Wits only if no grimoire, Wits+Lore if sorcerous magic, Wits+Insight if druidic magic - this roll is modified negatively by the rank of the spell the PC is trying to learn), AND you need ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: the Grimoire OR herbs/appropriate items.
1.3. Even after successful training, you can't cast this spell yet as you don't have appropriate talent.
2. Learn a talent: After learning at least 1 spell of the rank the PC is trying to attain, he may attempt to learn it with rules as in learning a spell.

I would change some of the text here:
- "Increasing magical path talents without a teacher no longer cost you any extra Experience Points..." to "Increasing magical path talents without a teacher no longer triples needed Experience Points..." to make this entry call back to Player's Handbook, p.40 "Spending XP: Magic".
- "A Grimoire allows you to replace Wits rolls with lore for sorcerous magic..." to "A Grimoire allows you to add Lore skill to your Wits for sorcerous magic...", just to clarify that skill AUGMENT Attributes rolls, not REPLACE them.

And, if the procedure I described above is correct:
- "To learn a spell you need a teacher, a grimoire where the spell is recorded, or you must spend herbs each QD of trying." to "To learn a spell you need ONE OF THE FOLLOWING: a teacher, a grimoire where the spell is recorded, or you must spend herbs or other appropriate item each QD of trying."

LANGUAGES
First of all, this is a great roleplaying tool and I really wish to use it in my upcoming one-on-one campaign. But I think it's poorly written as-is or perhaps lacks guidelines.
1. I assume PCs gain "lingual knowledge points" at character creation and whenever they level up their Lore skill?
2. Do I (A) first need to take "slightly broken language" for 1 point AND THEN "fully master a language" or (B) I can fully master a language from nothing with 2 Lingual Points?
If A: then Brewmaster Yawim from The Hollows would speak in his dwarven language perfectly, but couldn't even write or read, and that goes against his interests in that Adventure Site.
If B: then Brewmaster Yawim could perfectly speak dwarven and read/write in it, but nothing else, and Mrs. Pollmor, an isolationist, could speak perfectly in two languages, read/write AND speak third language slightly broken.
3. How even dialects work in this point-buy system?
Overall, this module is great but in my opinion it is poorly written and in need of some love.

JohanR
Topic Author

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 00:04

Awesome! I'll make a new version tomorrow night.

Readied items: Great, will fix!

Learn a spell: You got it correctly.
A comment to 1.3: Well you can always chance cast spells 1 rank above your own. Just like in the original rules.
But you are right, the entire text is kind of a mess! I will rewrite it!

Languages:
1. Yes, or if they take the Polyglot talent if that module is used as well.
2. Can be mastered at once for 2 points, but you don't have to spend the second point. During play this will rarely happen unless you take the Polyglot talent though? That one initially read that you only could each 1 at a time. But simplifying is often better. Maybe they have tried to learn it over a very long time and finally got it.. it is a stretch, perhaps have the player come up with the reasons to. Since the common tongue would be a mix of them all, it might just justify that it is easier to learn new languages? The common tongue could also give a Wits roll, to try to overhear a language you don't know, to maybe just try to get you some rudimentary words from what they are talking about.
3. 1 point grants you full speech of one dialect and you will kind of understand, but maybe not every-word of a conversation in the others? Languages without dialects, like elven, would be spoken brokenly at 1 point, but you could kind of fully understand what others are saying. So you would not pass for an elf, at 1 point.

I never thought about the implications for NPCs, I just used it for the PCs and would just wing it for NPCs. But if needed for Yawim and Pollmor:
Yawim (3 points): 1 point Dwarven (fully speaks Merromannic), 1 point Ravlandic (pick a dialect related to the region where The Hollows is located? like "Moldena dialect" if it is located there), 1 point to Read/Write
Pollmor (6 points): 1 point to Read/Write, 2 points Alderlandic (she looks like she would enjoy books and those might be from Alderland + she is smart and her dealing with Sturkas and his friends might have yielded some "rust speech"), at least 1 point in Ravlandic (the common tongue), maybe a point is Aslene or so just if she have had to deal with them, like perhaps she likes to overhear their conversations if some rider would come by, or maybe an outcast previously settled or so?

I could also change it to Empathy+Lore instead of Wits+Lore? That might fit better as Empathy is the more social stat. That would lower Pollmor's lingual knowledge a step too. I kind of like this. Wits still works as hit points against fear, and has a lot more going for it, so it would perhaps just work towards balancing the stats more.

I will try to rewrite this section too. I agree, it could be written a lot better rules wise. We just used it as some basic framework when we play.

JohanR
Topic Author

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 23:36

New beta version 1.9.16 of the Player's booklet.
I added the change for "Readied items" and rewrote the sections "Learn a spell" and "Languages". Please read through them, and see if more improvements/changes can be made. Especially languages could probably be improved ever further?
Last edited by JohanR on Thu 30 Mar 2023, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

DaydreamDaveyy

Wed 29 Mar 2023, 20:03

Thanks for including my feedback! (Can I be added to contributors...? <3) I love that languages now use Empathy! Great for giving this attribute more love!

Anyway, I am back with some more!

Flatten Skill Cost:
“During character creation with the point-buy system, level 3 skills cost you a total of 4 skill points.” – in the Player’s Handbook, during character generation, you simply assign 8/10/12 skill points based on your age, so I'm not sure where this "level 3 costs 4 skill points" comes from?
“To keep you able to buy an equal amount of level 3 skills, a Young PC can begin with +2 skill point, an Adult with +3 and an Old with +4.” – this line I can’t really comprehend, what is intended here?
Also, in the first “Why Use This Module” point – “Note however that if you don’t use the “talents costs as skills” module, beginning with a rank 2 talent nets you +3 XP …” – from where does this +3 XP come from?

Age is More Worthwhile:
Misspelled “Worthvile”, should be “Worthwhile”.

Adapting to Injuries:
Maybe add that XP from adapting can be used just like normal XP, to indicate that it doesn’t have to be a “bank” for retraining limb once you got it back? It’s just for us, non-english-native speakers, to get double confirmation. Just a suggestion though!

Enhanced Masterwork Talents, but Tougher Repairs:
“(…) repairing items with a heightened Item Bonus, Weapon Bonus or Armor Rating now suffers a -1 modifier per added masterwork die” – don’t you mean “per added bonus point”? So, if you make a broadsword that has Weapon Bonus of +5 instead of +2, the repair of this sword would give you -3 to your repair roll?

Champion’s Talent Path of Fate:
“However, do note that FREE actions no longer benefit from other talents.” – IF you use “Free Action Limitation” module! Should be added!

Champion’s Talent Path of Protection:
“Rank 1-3 as in the The Bitter Reach (double “the”), or change rank 3 according to the “Edit: Path of Protection”…” – should be “Enhanced Path of Protection?

Hunter’s Talents:

Path of the Arrow:

Rank 4: “It costs you no WP if the target managed to resist the effect (…)” – does it mean if PC spends 1 WP to disarm an opponent that needs 2 successes to be disarmed, the 1 WP is refunded like it was never used?

Path of the Beast:
“(…) or change rank 2 according to the “Edit: Path of the Beast”…” – the formatting here is different than in Champion’s Path of Protection. In the Beast Path, Enhanced Rank 2 is written in brackets rather than having it’s own section, like Champion’s Path of Protection. I don’t know if it’s worth changing, just pointing it out for consistency.

Minstrel’s Talent Path of the Warcry:
Rank 5: Do allies ignore 1 or all Attribute damage they would take from one attack? Worth clarifying! If all damage from the next attack, then I think it is too OP.

Peddler’s Talents:

Path of Many Things:
“(…) your first stash will however be free (you GET (“one” missing?) by taking the talent, [collected enough to trade for it]*). You may pull Heavy objects, shields… from your stash, in addition to the options…” – changed order of words to make it sound better.
*This sentence reads strange, maybe throw it away or add to it?

Path of Words (?):
There is no Path of Words in PH, did you mean Path of Lies?

Path of Treasure (?):
There is no Path of Treasure, did you mean Path of Gold? About Rank 5: “Each WP spent counts as 10 gold when you make a deal.” – when does this become relevant? Is it purely roleplayed (if yes, then it’s too situational for a rank 5 talent)? Are you introducing some new mechanics for barter? Should be clarified!

Rider’s Talent Path of the Knight:
Rank 4: I redacted it a bit for more clarity: “You may, for one Willpower Point, distribute all/some damage you are going to receive from attack to your mount, or you can take some/all damage from attack that was intended for your mount on yourself. Both of you can roll for armor.”

Smith Talent
It says you can make “ranged weapons” on ranks 4 and 5, it’s probably leftover from Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V of a Bowyer talent ;)

I will pick up from General talents tommorow! Hope I'm helping you somewhat!

JohanR
Topic Author

Thu 30 Mar 2023, 01:05

Absolutely these are great, I'll improve them tomorrow. And I'll add you yo the credits :)
If your players or someone helps you, just tell me and I will add them too.

In other news, all encounters but one has been written now.
So I'll hopefully make a new version of the GM's booklet in just a few days or so.

Flatten Skill Cost:
It was so that if you want to flatten skill costs, then spending skill points during character creation makes level 3 skills more expensive. And that you could add extra points to compensate for having them be more expensive.
So that a character that puts 3 in every skill and then buys 2 skills at rank 2, would not have an xp advantage over someone that puts 2 in every skill and then increases all but 2 skills to rank 3. As increasing a skill to rank 3 costs more later on, but not while creating a new character while using the base rules. So setting everything to 3 would be the "correct choice" xp wise, but some of my players didn't want to do that, and I didn't want to punish them for that, knowing they would regret it later on.
I can see if I can make it make more sense.

Adapting to Injuries:
Sure, they are meant to be spent on other things. So that you can gain a benefit for playing with a permanent handicap. Will try to rewrite.

Enhanced Masterwork Talents, but Tougher Repairs:
I can see if I can rewrite it better. Perhaps all extra dice above what is normal for the weapon could add to this? So even a non-magical or magical d8, d10 and d12 would add a penalty? Just so that the craft talent will not feel obsolete once your players are rolling in magical gear.

Champion’s Talents:
Champion’s Talent Path of Fate: Great find! It is a remnant from the old 1.2 rules. Will fix!
Will also fix the Champion’s Talent Path of Protection.

Path of the Arrow:
It was added so that annoying GMs just wouldn't say "Ah, I'm sorry, but well.. yes.. I do think I'll add.. I mean.. nope he of course has the talent to ignore that, you just loose your WP". And even if a GM never would do that on purpose, you would never know if they if they were doing it on purpose or not as a player.
Playing against that would be more than frustrating.
Making you retain your WP at least now gives you that information, without wasting your WP or any action. So both parties should feel more ok with the outcome, I feel?
But I can see if I can rewrite it to be more clear.

Path of the Beast: Will fix!

Minstrel’s Talent Path of the Warcry: It is just 1 damage, not all damage. I see that it can be misinterpreted, will clarify!

Path of Many Things: Will fix!

Path of Words/Path of Treasure: These were actually officially renamed by Free League, so I then changed them here as well. Look for errata, or ask for an updated pdf. I could actually add this information here, as it might confuse others.
For Path of Treasure - I though of it as a loan that you never have to repay. I.e. free money. But I can try to rewrite it into something better than a loan, so that it actually becomes free money. You just don't get the gold in your hand, it is more like a service. Like you are great, we would definitly want you in our settlement, take a discount on this house. Or we really would want to see you in our armor, take it for free! or something like that.

Path of the Knight: Will fix!

Smith Talent: Good find! I changed these too many times >.<