Re: Share your Foundry use ideas

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 00:02

Sure thing. PM sent.
You're a gem! Thank you!

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 22 Mar 2023, 15:48

Oh, I forgot,

I also use Scene Tiler to combine the, much too small, battle maps from T2k to get some much needed distances for players trying to ambush or fight off enemies at a bit of a distance.

Vcutter
Topic Author

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 11:21

Oh wow... didn't know about that module. Will definitely test it out!
Occasionally, when I have wanted to emphasize the long range of modern weaponry, I have just downloaded google earth screenshot and slammed hex grid on top of it, making one hex 50 or even 100 meters. The scaled the turn lenght as well. A bit like what UO suggests might be coming in the future.
We had some pretty nice sniper duels, mortar fire directing etc at ranges that actually make those weapon systems shine.
Will have to test the Scene Tiler since naturally the aesthetics of TW style hand drawn maps win over Googles satellite imagery.
It seems to be a bit old though...any probs with Foundry V10?

Mr Oldtimer

Fri 24 Mar 2023, 13:25

Oh wow... didn't know about that module. Will definitely test it out!
Occasionally, when I have wanted to emphasize the long range of modern weaponry, I have just downloaded google earth screenshot and slammed hex grid on top of it, making one hex 50 or even 100 meters. The scaled the turn lenght as well. A bit like what UO suggests might be coming in the future.
We had some pretty nice sniper duels, mortar fire directing etc at ranges that actually make those weapon systems shine.
Will have to test the Scene Tiler since naturally the aesthetics of TW style hand drawn maps win over Googles satellite imagery.
It seems to be a bit old though...any probs with Foundry V10?
I use google earth as well but, as you mentioned, I simply love the art style of Free league maps. Too bad they're basically for close combat, not for ambushes, vehicles, mortars or snipers.

The module seems to work just fine in V10 but it takes some trying out to learn how to use it. I start by having a large scene, perhaps some generic grass or concrete background or just set background color to whatever works. Then I drag the maps from the tile browser in the left hand menu in Foundry, rotate them as needed and then your good to go. You can also put two tiles on top of each other, one just a few hexes to the side, if you want to stretch the map in one direction in order to work with maps of other dimensions.

Not perfect but much better than using just one map.

sgt

Mon 15 May 2023, 08:00

Does Foundry work as a support tool for the Ref in traditional sessions? Ref most likely has a laptop while others might be using mobile devices.

Our main problem is the burden of inventory management, maybe Foundry would help? It should support adding of custom weapons and items, though.

Oddball_E8

Mon 15 May 2023, 10:18

Does Foundry work as a support tool for the Ref in traditional sessions? Ref most likely has a laptop while others might be using mobile devices.

Our main problem is the burden of inventory management, maybe Foundry would help? It should support adding of custom weapons and items, though.
Oh yeah, for sure!

I basically use it just to show maps and tokens on my TV for the players, but it's SUPER good for inventory management.

You'll still have to add custom weapons and items, though. And I found it pretty easy finding good icons for everything by just googling "Item name" + clip art for images (and then turning white backgrounds to transparant layers to make them look better in-app)

Also, it automatically tracks ammo use if you do your attack rolls in-app.

EDIT: One neat trick for using it to display maps and such, is to connect to your own app through a browser as a player. Then it will only show what a player would see and not the hidden GM stuff :)

EDIT2: If you want, I could share my world (excluding 2+Gb of maps) with you... that should give you all the items and stuff you need and you can just delete the characters if you want.

sgt

Mon 15 May 2023, 21:20

Wow, that sounds great! Inventory management is the single most consuming thing for me as the ref.

Oddball_E8

Mon 15 May 2023, 22:29

Wow, that sounds great! Inventory management is the single most consuming thing for me as the ref.
What's been consuming for me has been implementing all the weapons and gear I want in the game. (and fixing some of the mistakes that were in the core module)

But now that it's done, I'm so happy to have this tool :)

If you want to have my most up-to-date version of my world, just wait until thursday and I'll be uploading it ty my drive, and I can share that version of the zip file with you.

sgt

Wed 17 May 2023, 11:39

Yes, I can feel your pain after having built Google sheets to deal with all extra weapons, ammo and equipment. ;)

I'll gladly wait.

Oddball_E8

Wed 17 May 2023, 16:13

Yes, I can feel your pain after having built Google sheets to deal with all extra weapons, ammo and equipment. ;)

I'll gladly wait.
I'll be putting it on my drive tomorrow. PM me your gmail address and I'll add you to one of the folders where you can download the .zip file.

If you want I can upload the entire map package too. I got 90% of the non-FL maps from a patreon map site that is now closed down, so I don't feel guilty about sharing those.