Energy Drain
Topic Author

Djinn and other Spirits

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 17:06

In the Core Rule Book (page 333) it states that Djinn in ethereal form are only vulnerable to Mystical Powers and Icon Rituals. However it doesn't really clarify how that might operate with game mechanics. It does state at the beginning of the Spirits and Sarcofagoi section that all Djinn can take an Ethereal form, but not all the entries have a bullet point explaining it (eg. the specific Djinn entry does, but the Efrite entry does not). How do you all handle this in your games?

1) What exactly is an Icon Ritual?
2) Do you think Holy Items should be able to harm all ethereal versions of Djinni?
3) what would you count as a Holy Item AND how would the players get them?
4) Do you think players should be able to create holy items?

Any other experiences or insight would be appreciated! Thank you.

Anung

Re: Djinn and other Spirits

Tue 14 Mar 2023, 11:58

My players are about to meet a Djinn in The Dying Ship, which also coincidentally includes the Icon Ritual that youre asking for. Its very basic, its the Winchester brothers regular where you paint a circle on the floor, have an urn with some Kuan soil in it and recite prayers to the Icons. It does also say specifically for GM's that these rituals are by their nature not scientifically accurate and may, or may not, be more about the conviction of the ritualist and/or presence of any Icons whether the ritual actually works.

i think Holy items are a tricky subject, as talismans are basically holy items as well. I think i would just give a +1 to whatever my PCs were attempting if they had a close personal talisman, or +2 with an actual holy item, or relic, from a temple or saint.

Preachers i think should be able to make basically +1 talismans that count as holy items, that should be pretty fair.