Cundior
Topic Author

No High-Elves Backgrounds?

Sat 11 Mar 2023, 15:04

Mea govannen!

I like to ask, why there are no backgrounds, in the Rivendell supplement? Is that sill not complete, or there will never be? It's important part of character building, so I am a little confused.

Thank you!

Jack Ketch

Re: No High-Elves Backgrounds?

Fri 19 May 2023, 04:23

<<bump>>

thorr-kan

Tue 23 May 2023, 19:44

They're a subculture of the Elves of Lindon, and use the same Backgrounds, just like the various flavors of Dwarf or Hobbit?
I have a blog; come see what I've created: https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/
-The 2024 Character Creation Challenge (#charactercreationchallenge):
https://thewhiteminotaur.wordpress.com/tag/charactercreationchallenge/

Mithdraug

Tue 23 May 2023, 21:19

The backgrounds for Lindon Elves does not really seem to fit with a High Elf of Rivendell. The old Rivendell book had some backgrounds, here is my attempt at converting them to 5e (Skills and Tool). I left the distinctive features as a choice instead of narrowing it down to 2.

Counsellor of Elrond
Skill Proficiencies: Persuasion, Insight
Tool Proficiency: Calligrapher’s supplies
Distinctive Features: Cautious, Fair-spoken, Just, Patient, Proud, Quick of Hearing, Secretive, True-hearted (choose two Traits from those listed)

Elf-lord
Skill Proficiencies: Intimidation, Old Lore
Tool Proficiency: A musical instrument of your choice
Distinctive Features: Fair, Fierce, Honorable, Lordly, Proud, Stern, Vengeful, Wrathful (choose two Traits from those listed)

Heir of Gondolin.
Skill Proficiencies: Old Lore, Investigation
Tool Proficiency: artisan’s tools of your choice: carpenter’s tools, cobbler’s tools, glassblower’s tools, jeweler’s tools, leather worker’s tools, mason’s tools, painter’s supplies, potter’s tools, smith’s tools, weaver’s tools or woodcarver’s tools.
Distinctive Features: Cautious, Elusive, Grim, Keen-eyed, Nimble, Patient, Proud, Secretive (choose two Traits from those listed)

Vengeful Kin
Skill Proficiencies: Hunting, Stealth
Tool Proficiency: Cartographer’s tools
Distinctive Features: Fierce, Grim, Lordly, Proud, Stern, Suspicious, Swift, Vengeful (choose two Traits from those listed)

Wayward Wanderer
Skill Proficiencies: Travel, Performance
Distinctive Features: Elusive, Fair, Honorable, Merry, Nimble, Proud, Swift, True-hearted (choose two Traits from those listed)

Guardian of Imladris
Skill Proficiencies: Investigation, Insight
Distinctive Features: Fair-spoken, Just, Keen-eyed, Merry, Proud, Quick of Hearing, Suspicious, Wrathful (choose two Traits from those listed)

Any input or thoughts is appreciated.

Cundior
Topic Author

Fri 26 May 2023, 20:55

Mithdraug, I really like you writing! I only thinking about Vengeful Kin, as a "fighter" for their kin, maybe could use something like Athletics (not sure of course).

It is so shame, that Free League make us to buy a 10-15 page supplement, and that is even not complete. Why we need to make Homebrew, for something that has main importance? :(

vilainn6

Sat 27 May 2023, 21:56

Neither the dwarf or hobbit have different background for each subculture so Free League is consistant with their writting, even if the background for Lindon elf doesn't fit high elf from Rivendell.

Still, Background are 2 skills profecency, 1 tools and 2 distinctive feature. You can make the background you want easely

Cundior
Topic Author

Sun 28 May 2023, 08:53

Vilainn6, sorry, but you are not right about this. The Background in the Core rules are clearly for Elves of Lindon. You can be Maker of Ships in Rivendell, or Guardian of Tower Hills?

Cundior
Topic Author

Sun 28 May 2023, 09:22

Plus, if this would be part in the Core rules, I would say, ok, I can make it myself, you are right. But I did pay a lot for it, I bought the Rivendell supplement, so I don't want to do it myself...

Mithdraug

Tue 30 May 2023, 15:54

as a "fighter" for their kin, maybe could use something like Athletics (not sure of course).
The text from the old book made it seem more vengeful (duh), which is why I pictured them tracking down the servants of Sauron in a stealthy manner. But Athletics would work too for a less subtle elf.

vilainn6

Sun 04 Jun 2023, 04:35

Plus, if this would be part in the Core rules, I would say, ok, I can make it myself, you are right. But I did pay a lot for it, I bought the Rivendell supplement, so I don't want to do it myself...
Then cry my friends because creating background is what you are going to do at the end. The product is print out so I dont see Free League changing it now.