Riffraff
Topic Author

Rules questions about fleeing and PKDs

Wed 08 Mar 2023, 02:25

Two unrelated questions that just came into my mind:

1. In a chase, can you take cover as part of your chosen "move" like you can in combat? Like, if you choose Pursue/Flee, can you get behind cover at the end of that move or do you automatically end up exposed? (It seems less flavorful if you can get in cover, on the one hand, but on the other hand if you can't do it then chases are really dangerous if your opponent starts standing and shooting.)

2. With an old-style PKD 5223 blaster, can you fire a regular .44 or sonic round while you have a long-range rifle round loaded? Or does the rifle round need to be fired first to "clear the chamber" before you can fire a different kind of round?

Keirn

Re: Rules questions about fleeing and PKDs

Thu 09 Mar 2023, 14:55

1. I think that when you "pursue" or "flee", you are actively moving as fast and as efficiently as you can while avoiding obstacles etc. I generally would not allow taking cover as part of pursue or flee, because it would slow character down considerably. But I guess it depends on the circumstances.

2. I think that the gun has separate chambers for 44 and 222 calibers. Those two calibers are so different so it cannot be same chamber. So yes, you can have both 222 and 44 loaded at the same time.

Waynes_Books

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 01:42

With an old-style PKD 5223 blaster, can you fire a regular .44 or sonic round while you have a long-range rifle round loaded? Or does the rifle round need to be fired first to "clear the chamber" before you can fire a different kind of round?

Yes, the .222 has its own barrel on top. Single-shot, bolt-action. In the art in the rulebook, you can see the bolt to eject a spent round and chamber a new one.

BrianG

Mon 17 Jul 2023, 09:56

PKD:
I agree with the other posters; you can load both per the diagram that shows two barrels. In fact, both could be loaded at the same time all the time, but after the .222 is fired, you need to use a turn to reload that round.

Cover in a Chase:
As for cover, technically yes, the prey could go for cover. The Chase Maneuver for that is called "Other". It would do exactly as the other poster stated, slow them down, thus they do not get to increase range, but then if the Pursuer is standing and shooting, they will not be closing range. The GM could decide at a point like this to take the combat out of chase mode and drop back onto map or just "theatre of the mind" as mentioned on page 64.

They could also do a Stand and Shoot as their own Chase Maneuver which is conducted as a "normal ranged attack", taking cover as a free action in tandem with that attack. Rules don't say can or cannot do that one as part of that Chase Maneuver, but I would allow it.

There are better defensive Chase Maneuvers though then just costing the Pursuer a single disadvantage base die removal due to Prey cover; They could chose "Hide" and have a chance of just winning the chase outright or getting the drop on the Pursuer to kill them. They could "Block" which is like cover but instead of costing them one die for cover, it would cost them ALL dice due to losing their entire maneuver! All of this before the Pursuer even gets their roll.

The catch is that Prey needs to make those rolls and the Pursuer needs to fail ;) :
Hide= Stealth vs. Observation
Block = Prey Succeeds Force roll and then after Pursuer Fails Force roll.