tak5haka
Topic Author

Gambling

Sat 04 Mar 2023, 00:31

I was wondering if anyone had ever come up with rules/guidance for how to run gambling or games of chance in the Forbidden Lands? I'm thinking Insight/Manipulation might play a role but was wondering if anyone else had come up with house rules for this?

LatchKeyKid

Re: Gambling

Fri 31 Mar 2023, 01:49

I suppose the answer would depend on the type of gambling you're engaging in. While there always is (assuming no in-universe cheating is going on by NPCs) an element of luck involved beyond the skill of the player. I could see that "luck" being represented by the physical dice being rolled by the player whereas the human element is the skill/attribute used. I think manipulation is a great choice for games where your actions/bets are dependent on "reading" the other gamblers whereas sleight of height might be more apt in a game where rolling dice in universe (like craps or throwing bones for example) determines the outcome. Gambling could also be based on might if you're betting on yourself in physical activities like arm wrestling or marksmanship for darts.

tak5haka
Topic Author

Mon 08 May 2023, 18:07

Interestingly, Dragonbane has some suggestions next to the relevant trade goods. Might be worth transferring across (with obvious adjustments for skills, stats, etc).

XjoebX

Wed 10 May 2023, 17:27

I’m using the table and rules for gambling from Five Leagues from the Borderlands …. Icehouse ruled a bunch of action the players can do while in town similar to the actions while traveling . They can do one of these actions per 1/4 day
In town you can :
Trade
Gamble
Train (spend XP)
Heal
Blacksmith
Hard work (gain 1d6 silver)
Talk to NPCs

Dizzyfugu

Wed 20 Dec 2023, 09:24

Sleight of Hand might also come in handy.