Fenhorn

Re: [Extracted] New grenade discussion

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 00:32

Okay that helps, but it still doesn't reconcile this line on page 71 under TARGETING:
"Also, when targeting a hex, any extra successes on the attack roll have no effect."

That means that you would roll to see if you hit the hex, and then roll for the explosion. But because you targeted the hex (based on not being able to target individuals), you would only be able to do the base 2d8 damage (or a max of 2 damage, not 3).
First you make a skill roll to see if you hit the hex. Extra successes doesn't have any effect on this skill roll, either the grenade land in the target hex or it doesn't. Then you make an explosion damage roll for everyone in the hex according to the explosion rules. On the explosion roll (a hand grenade have explosion damage C so you roll 2d8 for this), extra successes increase damage.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Heffe

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 01:43

Okay that helps, but it still doesn't reconcile this line on page 71 under TARGETING:
"Also, when targeting a hex, any extra successes on the attack roll have no effect."

That means that you would roll to see if you hit the hex, and then roll for the explosion. But because you targeted the hex (based on not being able to target individuals), you would only be able to do the base 2d8 damage (or a max of 2 damage, not 3).
First you make a skill roll to see if you hit the hex. Extra successes doesn't have any effect on this skill roll, either the grenade land in the target hex or it doesn't. Then you make an explosion damage roll for everyone in the hex according to the explosion rules. On the explosion roll (a hand grenade have explosion damage C so you roll 2d8 for this), extra successes increase damage.
Ahhh that's where I was misinterpreting it. Okay thank you for the clarification!

Vcutter
Topic Author

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 02:28

On the explosion roll (a hand grenade have explosion damage C so you roll 2d8 for this), extra successes increase damage
Ok so the grenades receive the "base damage" of the explosion (C=2) for the targets in the hex? Thats 2 points with one success, with 2 successes it is 3, correct?
From the previous discussions I got the idea that for some reason the new grenade rules do not give base damage for grenade explosions.

Heffe

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 02:34

On the explosion roll (a hand grenade have explosion damage C so you roll 2d8 for this), extra successes increase damage
Ok so the grenades receive the "base damage" of the explosion (C=2) for the targets in the hex? And additional successes on the explosion roll increase this by 1-2?
From the previous discussions I got the idea that for some reason the new grenade rules do not give base damage for grenade explosions.
Only upon a successful explosion roll. Pg. 68 of the Player's manual has a decent example in this regard.

In short, previously, frag grenades had both direct damage and explosive damage. With this change, they will only have explosive damage. As an example -

Jerry throws a grenade at Bob. He rolls mobility and has 2 successes, landing the grenade in the same hex as Bob [but the extra success adds nothing]. An explosion roll of 2d8 is rolled, resulting in two more successes. Hit location is rolled, and Bob is hit in the arms for 3 damage [2 damage from the explosion, +1 for the extra success].

Vcutter
Topic Author

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 03:02

Got it thanks for clarifying.
Yeah they do need to be buffed a bit, especially in the target hex. They are fine in the "outer rim" of the explosion but the target hex should be a bit more punishing.
The problem is the 2D8, which is not very powerful when it comes to getting successes. Perhaps additional successes on the MOBILITY roll could amp the blast power against one target by one shift of one die? Meaning one extra success would be D8+D10, 2 extra hit would make explosion damage 2D10, which could be set as the maximum. This would reward good throws and dice rolls but the higher damage would only apply to one target in the hex?

Oddball_E8

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 12:42

Yeah, I agree that the absolute maximum damage of 3 is quite low.

And I also agree with the notion that "grenades aren't designed to kill" kind of mentality should let you come out of it almost unscathed.

I think we simply need a wider range of damage... say 2-4 or even 2-5.

At minimum, being within 10 meters of an exploding grenade will make you hurt. But at worst it will outright kill you.

Right now, the rules will almost never let it kill you.

Fenhorn

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 13:40

The easiest way to increase the effectiveness of hand grenades is to let any extra successes on the skill roll (and skill rolls can be pushed) be a bonus damage point to the base explosion damage to one target in the hex, to reflect that you have aimed well so the grenade lands near that person.

Vcutter
Topic Author

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 15:08

That sounds even simpler, great idea!

Ursus Maior

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 22:58

Jerry throws a grenade at Bob. He rolls mobility and has 2 successes, landing the grenade in the same hex as Bob [but the extra success adds nothing]. An explosion roll of 2d8 is rolled, resulting in two more successes. Hit location is rolled, and Bob is hit in the arms for 3 damage [2 damage from the explosion, +1 for the extra success].
Sorry, I don't get how damage now works. There is no base damage, so, why is there 2 damage from the explosion and +1 extra for success, if the roll generates two more successes?

Could you walk me through, please?
liber & infractus

Fenhorn

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 23:29

Sorry, I don't get how damage now works. There is no base damage, so, why is there 2 damage from the explosion and +1 extra for success, if the roll generates two more successes?

Could you walk me through, please?
There is no base damage for a fragmentation hand grenade, no so this means that you can only use them to target a hex, not a specific individual. This is also the reason why extra successes doesn't have any effect, either you hit the hex or you miss it. But everyone in the hex will suffer from the explosion. A fragmentation hand grenade have a blast ration of C so it does explosion damage according to C. This means that everyone in the hex must roll 2d8 to see if they are damaged by the grenade. This explosion have a base damage of a 2 so one success on those 2d8s will result in 2 damage, an extra success on the 2d8s will result in +1 damage for a total of 3. 2d8 can only result in two successes so the maximum damage for this is 3 (2+1).

If we instead take the antitank hand grenade, extra successes on the skill roll will have an effect since that grenad has a damage (and crit) ration. If you got two successes with your throwing skill roll (Mobility I think), it will do 6+1 damage for a total of 7 to the vehicle (or person if you aimed on an individual). After this is done, the antitank hand grenade will cause a D explosion, which means that everyone in the vehicle (if you penetrated the vehicle) or everyone in the hex if it explodes somewhere in hex have to roll 2d6 (D blast) to see if they take explosion damage.