artikid

Re: List of changes in Beta V3

Wed 08 Feb 2023, 11:16

Also, I see potential for game-breaking practices like boon hoarding.
Do you have any examples?
At most i see a likely critical hit, but if that is from a whole party giving up their attack to help facilitate, it is not really a massive amount of damage.

The only time boon stacking makes sense, is for attacks rolls as far as i know, but maybe i am missing something?
My main issue is boon hoarding.
I can see many/most rolls receiving no less than two or three boons:
One is for help
One is situational like from a spell or Heroic Ability, if not both.
One is for gear

This kind of forces the GM into an arms race to apply banes, doing otherwise takes out any risk from dice rolling.
And if you end up actually rolling with 3 boons, failure chances are very likely so minimal that I wonder: why bother rolling?
The reverse is also true, if you end up rolling with 3 banes, you are probably doomed to fail unless you have a staggeringly high skill-level.
This becomes kind of a zero sum game, and makes character skill less relevant, imho.

My 2cp

VorpalMace

Wed 08 Feb 2023, 13:11

I'm not a fan of boon and bane hoarding either. Having a boon or bane already meant you have to roll twice instead of once to get a result, now you can potentially have even more. At this point difficulty modifiers seem more intuitive. Or how about allowing only one reroll, but giving a +2 or -2 (or whatever number feels appropriate) to it for each additional boon/bane?

Gaddeborg

Wed 08 Feb 2023, 13:26

My main issue is boon hoarding.
I can see many/most rolls receiving no less than two or three boons:
One is for help
One is situational like from a spell or Heroic Ability, if not both.
One is for gear

My 2cp
I don't think boon hoarding will be that problematic, and I think the new rule seems ok.

Help: In combat, I would just judge it to be hard to "help" someone else. Otherwise, I would also call for a good motivation. Anyway, the helping character cannot roll himself. So ok.
Spell or Heroic Ability: Totally ok, paid for by the player.
Gear: Don't create gear that gives boons. The binoculars and some others is RAW, but otherwise it seems like a non-problem.

artikid

Wed 08 Feb 2023, 14:15

I don't think boon hoarding will be that problematic, and I think the new rule seems ok.

Help: In combat, I would just judge it to be hard to "help" someone else. Otherwise, I would also call for a good motivation. Anyway, the helping character cannot roll himself. So ok.
Spell or Heroic Ability: Totally ok, paid for by the player.
Gear: Don't create gear that gives boons. The binoculars and some others is RAW, but otherwise it seems like a non-problem.
There are 12 items that grant a boon btw.
Yes spells, HAs and help giving boons are totally OK, I never said anything against that.
I'm not against boons, as your post seems to imply, I'm against stacking.