munari
Topic Author

Peoples of Wilderland Sourcebook

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 23:48

I may have missed it in the forums, but I have a question about the Peoples of Wilderland. I don't see the Dwarf herioc culture. Is this an oversight? Is there a plan to add them to this sourcebook?

Thanks,

Mark

Harlath

Re: Peoples of Wilderland Sourcebook

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 01:07

Dwarves (of durin’s folk) are covered in the core rulebook - the Kickstarter said the people’s of wilderland stretch goal would cover beornings, elves of Mirkwood and woodmen.

Otaku-sempai

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 17:26

I was a bit disappointed that there seems to be no distinction made between Durin's Folk of Erebor and the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains (who should not all be Longbeards). I'm tempted to homebrew something based on the TOR 1E Adventurer's Companion.
#FideltyToTolkien

Harlath

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 18:21

I was a bit disappointed that there seems to be no distinction made between Durin's Folk of Erebor and the Dwarves of the Blue Mountains (who should not all be Longbeards). I'm tempted to homebrew something based on the TOR 1E Adventurer's Companion.
We may well get a bit more breadth for Dwarves in subsequent books, just like 1e did it. I like the way 2e has done Elves, with some virtues in common and then some Wood-elf specific virtues (plus some they don't have access to) and then some High Elf only virtues. :)

munari
Topic Author

Tue 07 Feb 2023, 02:23

Thanks! I do like 2e, but I am disappointed they got rid of some of the more magical cultural virtues

On another note, I'm wondering if they're thinking of introducing a magic user class of some kind. The rules make some kind of reference to lore masters and magic abilities

Otaku-sempai

Tue 07 Feb 2023, 04:12

Thanks! I do like 2e, but I am disappointed they got rid of some of the more magical cultural virtues

On another note, I'm wondering if they're thinking of introducing a magic user class of some kind. The rules make some kind of reference to lore masters and magic abilities
If nothing else, we should eventually see evil sorcerers introduced as antagonists, but there is a bit of precedent for Mannish magicians in the form of Beorn. The Dúnedain of Arnor were seemingly capable of producing Bane weapons such as the daggers reclaimed from the barrow by Frodo and his companions. The Drúedain (Woses) are alleged in an essay by Tolkien to have their own strange, magical abilities. And Tolkien's essay "The Istari" originally hinted at numerous wizards before he later reduced the number to just the five chief Istari.
Last edited by Otaku-sempai on Tue 07 Feb 2023, 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
#FideltyToTolkien

HunterGreen

Tue 07 Feb 2023, 13:24

Nearly all of them are still there but in a more general-purpose form where you can get a Magical Result on, for instance, a skill you choose.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

Sebastian

Tue 07 Feb 2023, 21:47

The interesting thing in 2e and the handling of magic for me is, that you technically can include quite a lot magic, if you want it. A lot of cultures have access to magical results for skills: All Elves (and they have other abilities, that could be interpreted as magic by Men), Rangers, Dwarves, Beornings, Woodmen. For me, this is exactly how Tolkien used magic in his work: It is personal, different from individual to individual. There are no spells, that are set in stone (although there is this famous Gandalf quote about spells he knew).

So if you want to include more magic, you just describe a magical result in a more "flashy way". A magic result in "Awe" might be a flash of light and smoke, blinding all adversaries. If you want less magic, the same result might be just a really loud shout that terrifies all bystanders.

munari
Topic Author

Fri 10 Feb 2023, 20:40

Thanks for the responses. And I think Sebastian is certainly on to something there.

Hornbach

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 19:25

Is the Peoples of Wilderland sourcebook available? I only got into this after the kickstarter was over.