Gimkin
Topic Author

Helping others in combat

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 21:01

In Chapter 3 Skills on Page 32 it is stated, that helping others grants a boon and you can help others in a combat as well. Since it is not described how that would work out, I think there are two possibilites:

(a)The helping character has lower initiative: He declares to help the other character and "waits" for the other characters turn.
(b)The helping character has the higher initiative: The helping character cannot help unless the other character "delays" his action.

In both cases the initiative on which the characters act is the higher one, right?

That would be easy, but what would happen, if the helping char or the other one got killed in between?

If the helping character got killed I would say, it´s not much of a problem, the other char can roll without a boon.
If the other charakter got killed, what will the helping character do?
In case (b) I would say, he can do, what ever he wants. In case (a) it´s more difficult. Does he just act on the higher initiative, or has he already consumed his action?

Any suggestions for handling such a situation?

In any case, Helping is not a listed Action in Chapter 4 Combat on Page 42, but it should also be listed there.

jasales

Re: Helping others in combat

Sun 26 Feb 2023, 19:10

Hmm...this is a good question. Since you don't actually declare your intentions, you simply act on your turn... I would say if you have a higher initiative and you want to help someone with a lower initiative you simply state that that is what you are doing and move if you need too to make that happen. There, you've taken your turn.

If you want to help someone and they have a higher initiative I would think you'd, maybe treat is as an out of initiative action and it uses up your action?

This is a good question and I think it needs the assisting in combat needs a little bit more clarification.

Ravencloak

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:15

Why over complicate the situation?

Scenario 1: Character B goes first and declares that they will assist Character A when they attack. Player B flips their card and Player A gets a boon on the roll when it's their turn to attack.

Scenario 2: Character A goes first in the initiative order. Before Player A rolls, Player B declares that they are assisting. Player B flips their card, Player A makes the attack roll with a boon.

This is how I would handle it at my table and, strategically, it would make the most sense for my players to exchange cards so the attacking player goes first (scenario 2) since this avoids any concerns about Player B getting killed before Player A acts.

Alternately, if you're really concerned about tracking this in initiative order, an assist requires that the two players exchange cards so the one assisting is always first in the initiative order.

If either case, if one character gets killed before Player A gets to act, the bonus for the assist is lost and the assisting player has lost their action. They tried to set up a situation to get advantage in combat, but failed.

Fenhorn

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:43

If the character that wants help acts before the character that wants to help, then he can await his little helper so the helper acts first and thus can declare that he is helping him. If the helper acts before the character that wants help, then he just declare that he is helping the other character. In both cases the helper will be acting in the same turn as the helped character, out of his own turn.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ogrekin

Thu 02 Mar 2023, 20:12

Why over complicate the situation?

Scenario 1: Character B goes first and declares that they will assist Character A when they attack. Player B flips their card and Player A gets a boon on the roll when it's their turn to attack.

Scenario 2: Character A goes first in the initiative order. Before Player A rolls, Player B declares that they are assisting. Player B flips their card, Player A makes the attack roll with a boon.

This is how I would handle it at my table and, strategically, it would make the most sense for my players to exchange cards so the attacking player goes first (scenario 2) since this avoids any concerns about Player B getting killed before Player A acts.

Alternately, if you're really concerned about tracking this in initiative order, an assist requires that the two players exchange cards so the one assisting is always first in the initiative order.

If either case, if one character gets killed before Player A gets to act, the bonus for the assist is lost and the assisting player has lost their action. They tried to set up a situation to get advantage in combat, but failed.
This seems to be a straight forward answer and how I would handle it.
AKA: 32mmDeathPunch
https://www.twitch.tv/32mmdeathpunch