JohnWithAgun

Re: Magic and Iron/Steel Rule Question

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 09:56

every one demanding more language on this is why games are so damn complicated now. Just house rule it.
+ (we should really have a button for this :roll: )

It was never a problem when we played in the 80s and early 90s. The person in our group that played a mage, never used any armour, even when we had access to dragon armour and other fun armour types that he could use, he used a staff as a weapon mainly because that was the weapon he started with and was best at even though we had spare magic swords. He believed that he could defend himself (and he could) and others could use those items more than him. He accepted the role he played (and we where young then). Sometimes the GM said that the you can't cast spells in this room because of the walls and floor is made of iron and then he accepted that and the group tried to solve the situation with that in mind and if I (it was mostly me that was GM) needed to rule something, I used my best discretion.
A like button or emoji response button would be great. I feel like it is a new phenomenon that players want every this spelled out in the rules, the folks I played with in the 80-00 never played rules as written anyway.
i think its generational thing. The younger of us grew up with video games and youtube's "how do make the best mage build in wow".
Video games give us the notion a game is something to be won. I would bet most new table top role-players comes from video games, and thus carry many of the ideas they learned there.

Now i am not young anymore, and i have GM'ed a bit. I understand i can homebrew my own rules and do changes, but that's not why i am buying these system.
My view is, there more i have "fix myself" the worse* the system.
*(not fitting for the game i want to run is a better term)

Now free league isn't really big enough that we have these hardcore online rule fights over how the game works. Like DnDs famous "Rules as written" vs "Rules as intended" for instance.
But the more clear the book is the one things, the easier my job is and the less time i have to spend being the judge and possible ruining the character build Johnny has been so exited for.

artikid

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 19:38

Iron affecting faerie or magic is customary, I'd rather leave it in.
At the same time some rules for Bronze weapons and armors, or "high-silver" (wink-wink, nudge-nudge) ones would be nice.
Bronze weapons could be cheaper and either weigh more or/and have less Durability.
"High-silver" could be extremely expensive but reduce weight and increase Durability.

VorpalMace

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 10:23

Bronze weapons could be cheaper and either weigh more or/and have less Durability.
I'm not sure about the weight, but bronze weapons were pretty durable. The reason bronze was left behind once the technique of working iron became widespread is mostly economical: bronze was everything but cheap, because its production required both copper and tin. These two weren't often found together, so you had to import one or the other. So to keep it simple, I would make bronze more expensive, but not hinder magic.

Rathalos32
Topic Author

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 17:37

+ (we should really have a button for this :roll: )

It was never a problem when we played in the 80s and early 90s. The person in our group that played a mage, never used any armour, even when we had access to dragon armour and other fun armour types that he could use, he used a staff as a weapon mainly because that was the weapon he started with and was best at even though we had spare magic swords. He believed that he could defend himself (and he could) and others could use those items more than him. He accepted the role he played (and we where young then). Sometimes the GM said that the you can't cast spells in this room because of the walls and floor is made of iron and then he accepted that and the group tried to solve the situation with that in mind and if I (it was mostly me that was GM) needed to rule something, I used my best discretion.
A like button or emoji response button would be great. I feel like it is a new phenomenon that players want every this spelled out in the rules, the folks I played with in the 80-00 never played rules as written anyway.
i think its generational thing. The younger of us grew up with video games and youtube's "how do make the best mage build in wow".
Video games give us the notion a game is something to be won. I would bet most new table top role-players comes from video games, and thus carry many of the ideas they learned there.

Now i am not young anymore, and i have GM'ed a bit. I understand i can homebrew my own rules and do changes, but that's not why i am buying these system.
My view is, there more i have "fix myself" the worse* the system.
*(not fitting for the game i want to run is a better term)

Now free league isn't really big enough that we have these hardcore online rule fights over how the game works. Like DnDs famous "Rules as written" vs "Rules as intended" for instance.
But the more clear the book is the one things, the easier my job is and the less time i have to spend being the judge and possible ruining the character build Johnny has been so exited for.
This is my exactly feeling, thank you for putting into word!
The question here is because this is a rule and is too open for interpretation and I would like some more information about how this works. I understand that for some people the form that is in it's fine and they can handle easily on they group, but for me I hate the exactly feeling of 'taking away' something that the player wanted because of different interpretations of the rule.

What I had to come up was "The item needs to be bigger than tiny and the iron parts needs to be a integral part of the item, for without the iron parts the item would not function properly.". So, the Studded leather falls into this but a bow with iron decorations would not for example.

Nagisawa

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 05:39

I'm not sure about the weight, but bronze weapons were pretty durable. The reason bronze was left behind once the technique of working iron became widespread is mostly economical: bronze was everything but cheap, because its production required both copper and tin. These two weren't often found together, so you had to import one or the other. So to keep it simple, I would make bronze more expensive, but not hinder magic.
This is a good call. I like it!

Master Dio

Mon 06 Feb 2023, 07:57

BETA 3 is out and we still don't have a clear answer about it...

Rathalos32
Topic Author

Sat 18 Mar 2023, 00:22

So, in this final version came with a simple yet defining rule for this matter! I really appreciate the new text! (and by the way, now is metal, not just iron)

Kaybe

Sat 18 Mar 2023, 00:38

So, in this final version came with a simple yet defining rule for this matter! I really appreciate the new text! (and by the way, now is metal, not just iron)
Agreed. So happy they closed that potential loophole. Making it so you straight out cannot wear or have ready a metal armor or weapon is exactly what I was hoping for.

CEBedford

Mon 20 Mar 2023, 20:40

Yeah, that is much more clear. Keep that sword in your pack or out of easy reach and you are good to go. That is exactly how I was planning to run it anyway. :)
- Hoodie Infestation

Dusser

Wed 29 Mar 2023, 03:16

I am wondering if a Mage can wear Leather armor since it can be made without metal. Casting requirements mention hand gestures, so Leather should not restrict that really. I looked through all the Mage characters in the Adventure book, but none wore armor, so I wonder if I missed a rule somewhere, or maybe it is just assumed that they would not.