Ugglefar

Re: No Clerics

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 19:45

Good point. But most of the people I play with dont look from the mechanical side (at least that's what they claim :-D). But looking at the followers of Tyr there simply is almost no room for a Priest without Armor. Paladins are an other reason for me to want some kind of divine magic. Maybe I just have different expectations of a generic set of rules. Thats totally ok. When we decide to switch to Dragonbane and I have a better Idea of the balance of this game, I will homebrew rules for magic users in armor. Something like: You can Cast only Spells of Rank 1 an 2 and cant increase the power Level or you have to pay aditional WP or just get a bane on the casting roll. I will find a way for shure. But for now I would like to stay as close to the actual rules as possible.

One thing with iron negating magic is not only a balance thing to prevent mages from using metal armour, it also affects many other things about the game setting. For example, when people want to imprison a dangerous mage, they make sure to put said person in a cage made of iron, negating their magic.

You might also want to explore Ruins of Symbaroum from Free League. I'm playing it with my players right now and we are really enjoying it. It is the 5e adaptation of Symbaroum, and you can get the introductory adventure "The Promised Land" for free on for example Alchemy RPG or DrivethruRPG. There the magic is more dangerous, and their version of the paladin, the Templar, is a subclass of the Warrior (fighter) class that has the "Armored Mystic" trait that allows them to use magic, although to a lesser degree than the Theurg (cleric). Also, all full casters are part of the same class, the Mystic, but the different subclasses changes what type of magic user you are.

I totally agree with you on this subject. This should definitely not be a dragonbane vs D&D discussion! D&D 5e is good for what it is but I am here because I have several issues with the mechanics and rules, in particular the oversaturation with magic you mentioned. Its kind of a love hate relationship with me and D&D.

I completely understand. I would suggest you give the standard Dragonbane rules a try at first, to get a feel of how they do things differently. And like you said, you can always house rule it later.