checkerhead

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 2 Your Character

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 03:35

I played the quickstart last weekend, and now have the beta. I really like how the game feels and what I've read so far today.

I did notice the power levels among the Heroic Abilities vary drastically, and because I suspect the Heroic Abilities will be very difficult to get at many tables, if how they are gained remains the same as the beta shows. Some of these will simply never srr play... it feels like the less powerful ones should be a category of character advancement all their own, something less difficult to gain.

Raven

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 10:53

I did notice the power levels among the Heroic Abilities vary drastically, and because I suspect the Heroic Abilities will be very difficult to get at many tables, if how they are gained remains the same as the beta shows. Some of these will simply never srr play... it feels like the less powerful ones should be a category of character advancement all their own, something less difficult to gain.
I have the same asumption about this topic. There are also Heroic Abilities almost every player want to chose like defensive.
My Idea for this would be to increase the requirements for choosing an ability. For instance you could only take robust if you where reduced to zero hit Points during the Adventure. That would ofc end up in a lot of work for the development team. There would also be the posibility to make a leraning system for heroic albilities like the one for learning spells. That means a Player must find a teacher and spend time and money to earn the abilities. While I like this idea I can see that it makes no sense for a lot of the heroic abilities.

In my view its obvious that there are 2 groups of Heroic Abilities: The one for combat and the ones for adventuring.
One thing I do not realy get is why Heroic Abilities that will be used outside of combat costs Willpowe at all. With the recharge of 2d6 WP every stretch rest the use of a 1 WP Heroic Ability never brings a charakter in trouble. So I think either the WP cost for this Heroic Abilities outside of combat schould be increased or the WP cost (maybe 3-6) or the chars schould make an related ability check and dont pay WP at all.

koeterwaal

Sat 04 Feb 2023, 13:12

Why should i write only the attribute score on the charactersheet, and not the Base Chance for each attribute? You only need the score for the derived attributes, but you could need the Base Chance for every attribute from time to time.

It isn't claryfied how to do Base Attribute throws. I'd use the Base Chance skill chart p. 25.

[On p. 24 in the Effects of Age Chart it says 5+1/2/3 skills
become trained when creating a character.
On p. 25 it says 5,6 or 7 skills start as trained (or in the next sentence it's 4+1/2/3)]