Fenhorn

Re: lack of DC to modify

Wed 01 Feb 2023, 18:14

How does math work out with the stacking of multiple Banes? Like, there's nothing really mechanical stopping just adding more dice to the "bane pool". If a character is dazed, trying to push open an iron door while slipping in the mud being chased by goblins, they might have to roll 3 or 4 D20's and take the worst result.
It doesn't matter if you have more than one Bane (or Boon), the roll will be made with a Bane (or Boon). Boons and Banes cancel each other out though so if a roll have both Boons and Banes, more than one could affect the roll.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mcgibs

Wed 01 Feb 2023, 20:42

Im aware that in the current rules, banes and boons cap out at only one extra die, I'm positing what if that wasnt the case. It's not applying math modifiers to roll like a DC, it's just adding more of the existing simple system. As a dm you could even rule a single source gives multiple banes (this dragon the size of a house steps on you. Roll a str check with 3 D20s and take the worst.)

Limiting to just one extra bane/boon die also has the effect that multiple sources dont compound, which doesnt make a whole lot of sense. If you're dazed and fighting a giant dragon, it should be worse than if you were not dazed but still fighting a dragon that gave you a bane.

JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 09:18

An optional rule allowing for multiple banes would be a very simple and easy solution indeed :)

Short Fey

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 10:08

I'm not against the idea, but i could see two issues.

1: it could lead to more dice rolling, which is from the impression i get they wanted to avoid.

2: would it work in the other way with boons? I can see a lot of people would get annoyed in that you can increase the risk of failure but not success.
Beware the fey!

JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 10:29

I'm not against the idea, but i could see two issues.

1: it could lead to more dice rolling, which is from the impression i get they wanted to avoid.

2: would it work in the other way with boons? I can see a lot of people would get annoyed in that you can increase the risk of failure but not success.
1) you will need more dice true, but its still just one roll, rather you roll two d20 or four doesn't make much difference. It would probably take a second extra to find the highest result :)

2) it would work both ways ofc, but with high skills you might want to just let them auto succeed if they have more than 1 boon :)

I think the current idea of only 2 dice is either plain copy/paste from DnD or to never make success to unlikely, "there is always a chance!" sorta adventure style.

Mcgibs

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 16:46

I'd have multiple Boons stacking as well, they're just a lot harder to get in general.
Anyway, this seems like perfect fodder for an optional rule green breakout box.

mselberg

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 07:52

How does math work out with the stacking of multiple Banes? Like, there's nothing really mechanical stopping just adding more dice to the "bane pool". If a character is dazed, trying to push open an iron door while slipping in the mud being chased by goblins, they might have to roll 3 or 4 D20's and take the worst result.
It doesn't matter if you have more than one Bane (or Boon), the roll will be made with a Bane (or Boon). Boons and Banes cancel each other out though so if a roll have both Boons and Banes, more than one could affect the roll.

It looks like the intent is that you can have multiple boons or banes and you could have more than two D20 in a roll if the last sentence on page 32 about multiple boons/banes is correct.

Multiple Boons/Banes: If you get multiple boons/banes to your roll, roll an additional D20 for each boon/bane and count only the lowest/highest result. However, please note that unless you have a very high skill level, rolls with multiple banes have a very low chance of success.

Mcgibs

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 15:40

It does now! This was added in the most recent release of the beta.

simontmn

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 22:33

At the top end, the chances with base 18 in 20 (9 in 10) success are:
2 Boon: 99.9%
1 Boon: 99%
No mod: 90%
1 Bane: 81%
2 Bane: 72.9%
3 Bane: 65.61%

RenoGM

Wed 14 Jun 2023, 07:04

I like to think of this game as already having 5 DC's:

Difficulty A: no roll necessary.
Difficulty B: roll with a boon.
Difficulty C: straight roll.
Difficulty D: roll with a bane.
Difficulty E: no roll allowed.

For my game that is more than enough. Even at higher skill levels, it's fine. Besides I tend to run games where many problems and challenges can't be overcome with a skill check and a die roll.