JohnK
Topic Author

Spaceship Modules for Exploration Groups

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 02:53

Hullo, folks,

One of the types of Group Concepts for the game is that of Explorers. However, when it comes to designing the spaceship on which these explorers make their home, I've noticed there are no modules covering scientific research, exploration, and the like.

Anyone come up with any new spaceship Modules that might be of interest here?

Thanks, in advance. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK
e-mail: johnk100@sympatico.ca
blog: http://jkahane.livejournal.com

taghuer

Re: Spaceship Modules for Exploration Groups

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 05:05

True. Specific science modules are a bit lacking. I think you could use the Mining module as an all purpose 'Geology' module. However, I think you could also just iterate off of the Workshop module. Biology lab, archaeology lab, general purpose lab and give them various bonuses like +1 for a general lab and +2 for a topic specific one. Plus don't forget the various features like library databases and better sensors.

JohnK
Topic Author

Fri 03 Feb 2023, 21:43

Hullo, taghuer,
True. Specific science modules are a bit lacking. I think you could use the Mining module as an all purpose 'Geology' module. However, I think you could also just iterate off of the Workshop module. Biology lab, archaeology lab, general purpose lab and give them various bonuses like +1 for a general lab and +2 for a topic specific one. Plus don't forget the various features like library databases and better sensors.
I have to agree with you that specific science modules are...lacking. Given that one of the Group Concepts is Explorers, you'd think a couple of ship designs and the like would have been exploration types of ships with the suitable sets of modules included.

Your solution to the matter seems to be the best one, and the one that I've considered using. The Mining Station module would work as a template for an Earth Sciences Lab, and I like the idea of using the Workshop module as the basic guideline for the rest. Thinking of Astronics, Archaeology, General Purpose, Life Sciences, and Physical Sciences Lab as the basic ones. +1 bonus for the General Purpose Lab, and +2 for the specific ones. Obviously to the Science skill.

Any other thoughts on this stuff?

Oh, and thanks for the reply. :)
...As for the border, the border is wherever the fleet sits at the moment. (Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh)

JohnK

taghuer

Sun 05 Feb 2023, 05:21

That seems reasonable to me.

JohnK
Topic Author

Wed 08 Feb 2023, 20:35

Hullo, taghuer,
That seems reasonable to me.
Thanks, kindly for your thoughts on this matter. :)

JohnK

Anung

Mon 13 Mar 2023, 09:10

Having played some Elite Dangerous lately (actually just for the purpose of my Coriolis game, to have a better grasp of spacefaring and scifi that i might not have though of), there are a few modules you can buy in that game specifically for exploration that youve already covered in these posts - bar one; sensors. There are some a few types of astronomical sensors that are specifically for mapping out new star systems, maybe theres something in that vein to add?
Super Sensors (im not certain theyre called that in the english version of Coriolis, i play in swedish!) could be a template for that, perhaps expanding its reach to Systemwide just like personal communicators, only for reading bodies in space but without further detail? Perhaps a function of measuring gravitons in the system for finding gravity wells, even. That could trigger for asteroids, ships, phenomena and creatures.

Just thinking out loud, hope that helps :)

JohnK
Topic Author

Thu 16 Mar 2023, 19:58

Hullo, Anung,
Having played some Elite Dangerous lately (actually just for the purpose of my Coriolis game, to have a better grasp of spacefaring and scifi that i might not have though of),
While it's a bit off topic here, I am curious as to what you're referring to in terms of the better grasp of spacefaring and sci-fi that you mention above...
there are a few modules you can buy in that game specifically for exploration that youve already covered in these posts - bar one; sensors. There are some a few types of astronomical sensors that are specifically for mapping out new star systems, maybe theres something in that vein to add?
To be honest, the Science skill (with perhaps some bonuses for the Data Djinn skill?) would cover that. The sensors are used to acquire the information, but the character must use an actual skill to interpret the resulting data provided. Though I do understand what you meant here. :)
Super Sensors (im not certain theyre called that in the english version of Coriolis, i play in swedish!) could be a template for that, perhaps expanding its reach to Systemwide just like personal communicators, only for reading bodies in space but without further detail? Perhaps a function of measuring gravitons in the system for finding gravity wells, even. That could trigger for asteroids, ships, phenomena and creatures.
The Sensitive Sensors and the Super Sensors features pretty much cover this, though they are meant primarily for combat. That said, one could certainly house rule them a bit, and add in the modifications that you're talking about. Though I think that should be more properly a function of the Science Lab module that has been proposed above. Ymmv, of course. :)
Just thinking out loud, hope that helps :)
Indeed it did. :)

JohnK

Anung

Fri 17 Mar 2023, 10:32

While it's a bit off topic here, I am curious as to what you're referring to in terms of the better grasp of spacefaring and sci-fi that you mention above...
Its just that ive been in a DnD-mindset for the last 9 years or so, and i wanted to get a deeper grasp of all the sci-fi concepts that arent as readily in my mind as a fantasy setting is. Just trying to get out of the thought that a interplanetary journey is just the equivalent of a horse-and-carriage trip between villages, so to speak. :)

My player group is largely a bunch of univeristy nerds as well, so there will be thoughts here and there about the practical physical things that i dont want to just handwaive with "Its The Dark Between The Stars, dont worry about it".

JohnK
Topic Author

Fri 17 Mar 2023, 20:00

Hullo, Anung,
Its just that ive been in a DnD-mindset for the last 9 years or so, and i wanted to get a deeper grasp of all the sci-fi concepts that arent as readily in my mind as a fantasy setting is. Just trying to get out of the thought that a interplanetary journey is just the equivalent of a horse-and-carriage trip between villages, so to speak. :)
Ah, now I get it.

As someone who runs fantasy primarily myself (I'm a huge fan of the Atlantis: The Second Age RPG of Sword & Sorcery myself), I get where you're coming from with this. I've been gaming for 40+ years, now, so I've got a lot of experience. Changing mindsets from fantasy to science fiction can be difficult. I prefer my science fiction as somewhat harder rather than soft, but Coriolis - The Third Horizon hits the sweet spot for me in so many different waves, notably the non-European mythology elements and the Arabian Nights vibe that the game has.

Interplanetary, let alone interestellar, voyages are anything but horse-and-buggy trips between villages. (Good metaphor, that!) :) The game uses the Dark Between the Stars for that aspect of it to some degree, but one can think of it as the star systems are oases in the deserts of space. Trips between villages across the wilderness, indeed! :)

I've actually re-read some of the Arabian Nights tales again these last few years to get some ideas for plots and sub-plots that can be run during the travel time between planets and the like. Always go to the source of the mythology of the game and all, I say! :D
My player group is largely a bunch of univeristy nerds as well, so there will be thoughts here and there about the practical physical things that i dont want to just handwaive with "Its The Dark Between The Stars, dont worry about it".
Well, other than the fact that the Dark Between the Stars is plenty enough to worry about, the scientific principles that can be inferred by the nature of technology in the game (especially the Portal Builder stuff?) are pretty "soft" insofar as other science fiction rpgs are concerned, but there's enough science there to keep me happy. I've run plenty of hard sf rpgs in my time, and to be honest, this game is hard science-y enough for me.

JohnK