Fenhorn

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 5 Magic

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 08:35

I’m confused about what skill is used to roll a spell. I must be missing it somewhere, but on page 25 it says you don’t get a base chance in secondary skills so I assume the “Elementalism” secondary skill doesn’t get a base chance. On page 59 it talks about rolling a spell and failure. So how does a Mage roll Animism? I would assume they use INT to establish their base chance and double it if they’re trained, but I can’t find that explained in the book.
Each school of magic is a separate secondary skill. As a newly created mage you may select one school as a trained skill (based on INT). You don't get a base chance in magic schools that you are not trained in, even as a mage. <>
Magic schools are secondary skills, no one gets base chance in them unless you are trained in them. As a mage, you have twice your base chance in the magic school that you selected to be trained in.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Dusser

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 19:39

I am wondering if there will be more Magic Tricks available in future supplements. As it is, a starting Mage gets to pick 3, but an Elementalist or Mentalist only each have 3 available, and it would be nice for them to have some other choices.

Also, has anyone considered lumping all the Magic Tricks together and not breaking them up by school of magic, similar to what was done with the profession based heroic abilities? Another option would be to make the Generalist magic tricks available for any school along with their more school specific ones.

erebus

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 20:00

I am wondering if there will be more Magic Tricks available in future supplements. As it is, a starting Mage gets to pick 3, but an Elementalist or Mentalist only each have 3 available, and it would be nice for them to have some other choices.

Also, has anyone considered lumping all the Magic Tricks together and not breaking them up by school of magic, similar to what was done with the profession based heroic abilities? Another option would be to make the Generalist magic tricks available for any school along with their more school specific ones.
A Mage can pick Magic Tricks from those listed under his magic school AND those under the Generalist magic.
I believe the thought here is that the school specific ones are the type more suited / used by to that kind of magic while the general ones are the type every school uses.

Dusser

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 04:06

A Mage can pick Magic Tricks from those listed under his magic school AND those under the Generalist magic.
I believe the thought here is that the school specific ones are the type more suited / used by to that kind of magic while the general ones are the type every school uses.
Sorry, I missed that. Awesome, I like that idea very much, it gives a lot more flexibility to Mages. Thanks for pointing it out.