Nagisawa

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 3 Skills

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 21:39

Just my thoughts but I feel like a few of the "passive/reactionary" type skills should be removed and just fall under attribute checks.
Awareness = use Int.
Some smart people aren't very observant. Some dumb people can catch clues (And may not understand what they're seeing, and will ask) that others miss. Observation (Which is technically what Awareness covers) is a skill that people in real life can train.

Speaking of skills to be rolled into, Spot Hidden should also be covered under Awareness.
Evade = use Agl.
You can train to avoid attacks. A lot of combat styles do.
Also, I think Bartering is far too narrow to be a skill; fold it into Persuasion.
This I agree with.
Beast Lore and Hunting & Fishing could easily be put into Bushcraft (along with survival and tracking type checks).
Also agree,
Swimming is also pretty narrow, maybe just add Athletics (STR) to cover physical actions that are not Agility based.
This, There needs to be a skill that most fighting men can take that allows for climbing, jumping and running or swimming. Most fighting class men are very athletic, but not very acrobatic. Limiting the ability to climb to people with circus performer training seems silly to me.
Instead of Bluffing, you could have Duplicity which could cover bluffing, deception, disguise, gambling etc.
This you could put as a use under Performance OR Persuasion.
Also, a skill I haven't ever seen in a game, but I think could be really useful is Deduction, the ability to put together clues, decipher codes or runes, figure out someone's motivations, etc.
Another use for Awareness.