Calle
Topic Author

Great Leap vs Rearward

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 15:46

So a wolf uses Great Leap to jump over all heroes to gety to the hobbit in Rearward stance. My question is, is the Hobbit now in Close Combat ( and must choose a stance) and cant use its bow and must draw his short sword to defend itself against the wolf?

Harlath

Re: Great Leap vs Rearward

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 17:23

I don't make it change the engagement, as the press of battle forces the combatants back apart and the ability doesn't say it changes your stance, unlike seize on p144.

Having your archers (no shield, sometimes lower wits and armour) being attacked is normally enough pain and drama!
Last edited by Harlath on Sun 29 Jan 2023, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Calle
Topic Author

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 17:29

Thanks Harlath!

kalyl

Mon 22 Jan 2024, 09:23

If your game follows systems where any attack automatically puts the target in Close Combat regardless of distance, among us then yes, the Hobbit would be considered engaged with the wolf and unable to use its bow effectively. It would need to choose a stance and potentially draw its short sword to defend itself.

Ninchilla

Mon 22 Jan 2024, 16:53

Enemies act after the Player-Heroes, so while Great Leap allows the wolf to attack the hobbit in Rearward, the hobbit will be able to choose a combat stance for the next round as normal.

(I'm assuming TOR; if this was a 5e question, ignore me as I haven't read that version!)

a2le

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 19:38

Indeed, the adversaries go after the heroes, then when the wolf jumps on the hobbit in rear-ward stance, by RAW, it's not the hobbit turn to play, then the hobbit can't change stance.
However, since the dynamic of the attack is determined by the stance, the question is how the rearward stance should work for the wolf close combat attack: should it be like a open-stance, so no bonus, nor malus die? Or like a forward one?

Harlath

Fri 08 Mar 2024, 19:54

Indeed, the adversaries go after the heroes, then when the wolf jumps on the hobbit in rear-ward stance, by RAW, it's not the hobbit turn to play, then the hobbit can't change stance.
However, since the dynamic of the attack is determined by the stance, the question is how the rearward stance should work for the wolf close combat attack: should it be like a open-stance, so no bonus, nor malus die? Or like a forward one?
Normal parry TN, just like a ranged attack against someone in rearward.