rmagruder
Topic Author

Creating a Character - Combat Proficiencies

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 13:44

The Core book is not clear to me on Combat Proficiencies. For instance, looking at the Elves page 37:

Copy the following Combat Proficiency ranks onto the character sheet, selecting a preferred Proficiency when offered a choice:

Bows OR Spears 2
Choose one Combat Proficiency

This wording confuses me.

1) Am I writing down BOTH proficiencies and adding 2 ranks? (The OR would suggest not -- it looks like the Elf can ONLY have Bows, OR Spears, but not both?)
2) Do I write down both bows and spears, but only assign 2 ranks to ONE of them?
3) Do I have 2 ranks to divide among them? (for instance 1 rank each in bows and spears?)
4) The second row says Choose One Combat Proficiency -- is this just elaborating on the "OR" in the first line? And if so, what's the meaning of "1" in the 2nd row?

Maybe it's clear to everyone else but I read this block and have NO idea what to do with it.

Thanks,
Randy

HunterGreen

Re: Creating a Character - Combat Proficiencies

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 14:00

First, you put two pips in either of Bows or Spears.
Then, you put one pip in any proficiency other than the one you chose in the first step. That can even be the one you didn't choose in the first step.

So you can end up with Bows 2, Axes 1; or Bows 2, Spears 1; or Spears 2, Swords 1; etc.
TOR/AiME Discord: https://discord.me/theonering
Narvi, the TOR bot for Discord: https://bitbucket.org/HawthornThistleberry/narvi/

rmagruder
Topic Author

Wed 25 Jan 2023, 19:30

Excellent, thank you!

von Strubel

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 12:27

First, you put two pips in either of Bows or Spears.
Then, you put one pip in any proficiency other than the one you chose in the first step. That can even be the one you didn't choose in the first step.

So you can end up with Bows 2, Axes 1; or Bows 2, Spears 1; or Spears 2, Swords 1; etc.
Well, it sadly doesn't say "other than the one you chose" in the rules, which lead one of my players to give a third pip to Bows or Spears (leading to have no alternative weapon in character creation). Which is quite powerful for the chosen proficiency. I assume you are right (and maybe the authors wanted it to be a bit open), but the wording could be much better regarding this crucial choices.

Harlath

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 11:46

Well, it sadly doesn't say "other than the one you chose" in the rules, which lead one of my players to give a third pip to Bows or Spears (leading to have no alternative weapon in character creation). Which is quite powerful for the chosen proficiency. I assume you are right (and maybe the authors wanted it to be a bit open), but the wording could be much better regarding this crucial choices.
Sounds like they could do with making that bit clearer in reprints. Feedback like this can help them improve things.

I just took it best used on another weapons, as Swords 2, Swords 1 isn't much use. But I can see how people could read things differently, particularly where it boosts their character!

But don't worry, the way your player did it just gave them a small amount of extra starting experience, as players can still buy Combat Proficiency up to Rank 3 at character creation. So they didn't have a combat proficiency that's impossible for a normal starting character (even if they had a bit more starting XP overall than normal). :)