Magnimost
Topic Author

Quick Heart of Darkness queries

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 19:06

What is the Strength of each of the xenos? The scenario specifically refers to wrestling with a Squid-Baby using strength, but doesn't list its strength.

Baton rounds are "non-lethal," but say that armor against them is doubled. Does that mean they still do normal damage, and if the victim is broken they cause one of the two critical injuries listed?

What does the "stun effect" actually do, caused by shockguns?

Are there any pictures of the different xeno stages? This goes for every book in the trilogy: it's infuriating that the publisher hasn't bothered to portray them, as it's often unclear from the context what they look like, what their size is, and how they map to the movies.

Also, general q: can you push combat rolls? Rules don't specify, but I've ruled they slow down combat so I haven't allowed them.

Angelman

Re: Quick Heart of Darkness queries

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 20:01

What is the Strength of each of the xenos? The scenario specifically refers to wrestling with a Squid-Baby using strength, but doesn't list its strength.
Here, you'll have to guess. I usually look at the creature's signature attack list and fin a mean average of their attack dice pool and use that for their Strength

Baton rounds are "non-lethal," but say that armor against them is doubled. Does that mean they still do normal damage, and if the victim is broken they cause one of the two critical injuries listed?
I can't remember what the Baton rounds do, but whatever it is (stun?) you test armor first to see if the weapon gets through, or in this case, double armor.

What does the "stun effect" actually do, caused by shockguns?
The target lose the next Slow Action, or occasionally described as losing the nest "Slow and Fast Actions", and I must admit I don't know which is truer.

Are there any pictures of the different xeno stages?
Try google.

Basically, drones are the ones seen in Alien & Prometheus, while warriors and Queen is from Aliens. The animal-like xeno in Alien3 is a scout.

The tiny, mini-xenomorph from Alien:Covenant is an Imp, IIRC.

Also, general q: can you push combat rolls? Rules don't specify, but I've ruled they slow down combat so I haven't allowed them.
You can push any skill-based roll, including Ranged Combat etc. There are a couple of other rolls you can push, too (see the Bodyguard Talent for one), but generally you cannot push non-skill rolls. Also, NPCs (including xenos and such) never push rolls, and Synthetics cannot (except when using Talents like Bodyguard, which Chaplain the synth from Destroyer of Worlds at least could push)
Last edited by Angelman on Tue 31 Jan 2023, 13:16, edited 2 times in total.
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

_ArthurDallas_

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 00:20

xeno sizes and images
this is a good reference

here : https://www.deviantart.com/risen-from-t ... -697757783

_ArthurDallas_