Gaddeborg
Topic Author

Is Avada Kedavra from Harry Potter OP?

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 15:04

Avada Kedavra wouldn't be op if you failed your spell cast rolls either then :)

...(harry potter death spell for those that didnt get it)

A bit OT, but isnt Avada Kadavra roughly equal to a modern firearm, how it works IRL in the hands of a skilled killer? You snuff a life in an instant, no matter who is hit? Not OP either in a modern setting then.

But totally agree in that the avada kadavra makes the later Harry Potter movies a bit nightmarish to look at, how easy that they kill each other.

That's a Hollywoodism. Bullets don't always instantly kill, in fact sometimes it takes several bigger rounds. The Harry Potter spell is an insta-death no matter what. /Off Topic

Gaddeborg
Topic Author

Re: Is Avada Kedavra from Harry Potter OP?

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 15:05

That's a Hollywoodism.
I heartily don’t agree. In my opinion, Hollywoodism is “It’s just a flesh wound!” for the heroes, while baddies die Avada Kedavra-style. From what I have seen, guns used IRL with the intent of killing do kill people, or in a few instances leave them mutilated for life after months of intensive care, with years of physical therapy before they can get back to some sort of normality. The instances where people survive are usually because of lacking intent or improper use (not applicable for Avada Kedavra-people, and not at the close range that is depicted in the movies).

Bullets don't always instantly kill, in fact sometimes it takes several bigger rounds.
You can shoot several rounds during the time it takes to say “Avada Kedavra”. Also, the magician will have trouble finishing the sentence after the first round hits.

The Harry Potter spell is an insta-death no matter what.

According to the HP wiki, it’s possible to dodge or deflect. In “Magical Beasts and Where to find them”, I think this is what happens in some of the confrontations, even if they don’t need to say the words in those movies apparently.

What I am suggesting is that the murderous magicians using Avada Kedavra in Harry Potter would be just as efficient at killing if they used a modern firearm instead (for the actual killing), given that they were skilled in the use of firearms.

Also, I don’t find the isolated Avada Kedavra-spell OP against a firearm, since a firearm cocked and ready would shoot faster and interrupt the casting. What is scary with Avada Kedavra is, in my opinion, not that it’s OP compared to weapons that would be accessible in the time period, but that it suddenly shows real death from violence in what one would expect to be a children's movie.

I find it to be very good writing from the author, how the story transforms “action scenes” in the books/movies to something more similar to the sad life-ending violence that similar events IRL is.