Hagur
Topic Author

Rhudaur Campaign Ideas

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 22:44

I am collecting Ideas for a campaign set in Rhudaur where the players will play as Charakters from different generations (T.A. 861 - TA 1349). The idea is to let them (possibly) change the fate of Rhudaur and resist Angmar over a span of several hundred Years. At first everyone will creat a family of dunedain and each subsequent charakter will be a member of this familiy. The Charakters would be part of the nobility and make important decisions while participating in key-events

What do you think would be good Ideas to implement in such a campaign?

So far I could think of
- The struggle against the hillmen. There are many more hllmen than dunedain in Rhudaur and they may rise up and revolt if their dunedain overlords are not careful enough
- No economic strength. There are no major cities und there is not much trade to be conducted. That makes the average people of Rhudaur rather poor. To build up economic power will be important for the future of Rhudaur
- The growing shadow of Angmar. Over Time the Witch King will rise to Power and cause many problems

Do you have any suggestions fror key events of Rhudaurs history?
- Before the divide of Arnor the negotiations between the three sons of Earendur about how Arnor will be split and what arrangements are to be made
-The coronation of the first King of Rhudaur and different Delegations sent there and how they are received (hillmen tribes, elves of Rivendell, dwarves of khazad dum, ...)
- War over Amon Sul and the palantir stored there
- War to gain important stretches of land (and what could that be)
- Hillmen revolts
-Diplomacy with the other two Kingdoms Arthedain and Cardolan. Maybe even Gondor. The King of Gondor could have a quest in need of adventurers
- A scenario in which the players must find a suitable Bride for the Prince of Rhudaur (and decide if they want to strenghten the bonds with certain hillmen-clans or Arthedain/Cardolan)

Any more Ideas?

Tolwen

Re: Rhudaur Campaign Ideas

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 23:31

I am collecting Ideas for a campaign set in Rhudaur where the players will play as Charakters from different generations (T.A. 861 - TA 1349). The idea is to let them (possibly) change the fate of Rhudaur and resist Angmar over a span of several hundred Years. At first everyone will creat a family of dunedain and each subsequent charakter will be a member of this familiy. The Charakters would be part of the nobility and make important decisions while participating in key-events

What do you think would be good Ideas to implement in such a campaign?
I am not aware of any detailed information on what you are planning to do. However, there is some material around which may prove useful as inspiration. Other Minds Magazine (OM) has contributions in several Issues that deal with Eriador and its realms.
I am aware of the following articles, but there is much more material in both Other Minds as well as its predecessor from the 1990s (Other Hands; OH). All OM Issues can be downloaded for free under the following website (OH can be downloaded there as well). Link to site.
Articles I am aware of (no claim to completeness):
  • OM7 - Discussion on Angmarean people
  • OM9 - Article on religion in Angmar
  • OM13 - Extensive article on Third Age-demography in Eriador
  • OM19 - Article on the early history and rulers of Divided Arnor
You may also ask on OM's Facebook group under this link.
At both sites you can also find an Excel-based TOC for both OH and OM which makes finding stuff more easy.
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Other Minds also on Facebook!

Birkebeineren

Re: Rhudaur Campaign Ideas

Fri 27 Jan 2023, 12:56

The Stoors that came from the Vales of Anduin in TA 1150 and settled in The Angle.

-Why did they choose The Angle?
-What happened to them during the next one hundred and fifty years?
-What made them choose to leave in TA 1300?
-Could anything have been done to make them stay?
-What would the consequences have been for Rhudaur if a stable community of food-producing hobbits prospered in the kingdom under the protection of the dunedain?
-Could The Angle have been for Rhudaur what The Shire became for Arthedain?