Gaddeborg

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Rulebook Feedback - Chapter 3 Skills

Fri 13 Jan 2023, 21:15

Avada Kedavra wouldn't be op if you failed your spell cast rolls either then :)

...(harry potter death spell for those that didnt get it)
A bit OT, but isnt Avada Kadavra roughly equal to a modern firearm, how it works IRL in the hands of a skilled killer? You snuff a life in an instant, no matter who is hit? Not OP either in a modern setting then.

But totally agree in that the avada kadavra makes the later Harry Potter movies a bit nightmarish to look at, how easy that they kill each other.

Short Fey

Sat 14 Jan 2023, 01:24

So i finished another session with my group, and we discussed a bit on what the GM can do to influence the difficulty on the checks. One idea we came to was basing this off another ttrpg we played.

The idea is that rather than changing the difficulty of the checks, you can change the effectiveness of the outcome of the success.

Let us say you run an adventure in an old ruin, and the players come across an old text deep within of a long forgotten civilization, and a player wants to try and decipher it. Sense they have an 16 in Languages they are going to succeed, but you want to retain on some level that this is a difficult text to decipher.
When the player is going to roll, you declare that this check has "limited Effect on the outcome", basically even if they succeed, they are not going to get much out of it, only bits and snippets of information. Likewise, if the player would happen to have say a book that happens to have a cipher of the language, you can say the check has "Greater effect on the outcome", and the player can get much more information out of the ancient text.

This gives the GM an simple tool that can change the effectiveness of a players actions without adding/changing the rules too much. It might not work in combat, but it would work for most other checks.
Beware the fey!

Short Fey

Sat 14 Jan 2023, 22:19

Related to making skill/attribute checks more challenging.

This would clutter up the character sheet a bit more, but perhaps one idea for making a check harder is to take a page from call of cthulhu.
In essence, along with the skill level of your chosen skill, you have an additional box next too it where you add an additional, if lower number to your skill.

To give an example, if you are trained in AWARENESS and you have a skill level of 14, you can add 3/4 (value not decided, this is just an example) of that skill level rounded up. So in this case 11, while say Spot Hidden that i have a skill level of 7 would become a 5.

Or it could simply be halved (same example, Awareness would have 7, Spit hidden would have 4)

Now this would require more work during the creation of the character as well as when you get a skill level/attribute increase/decrease, but otherwise if the GM thinks a challenge is particularly difficult, you have to roll with the lower number instead of the higher one, without the need of any modifiers during game play.
Beware the fey!

Rentagurkha

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 20:04

I’d like to see another skill added to the list.

Streetwise (CHA)
The city streets can be a far more dangerous place than the wilds for the foolhardy. This skill represents your knowledge of and relationships with the movers and shakers behind the scenes and in the alleys. Roll Streetwise when trying to make a contact, learn useful information, or you need to know something about a certain someone important.

I like urban settings, so this would come into play a fair bit. I’m suggesting CHA as the controlling attribute because this skill has a lot to do with having contacts and managing relationships.

Arioch1973

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 20:35

I would suggest adding two skills to the game: Resilience to represent your ability to withstand poison, disease, or just exhausting labor. The second one would be Persistence that is the same but for tasks of will and the mind. These two skills can then be given to NPCs and monsters to represent their toughness/ability in those areas.

Short Fey

Thu 19 Jan 2023, 20:37

I would suggest adding two skills to the game: Resilience to represent your ability to withstand poison, disease, or just exhausting labor. The second one would be Persistence that is the same but for tasks of will and the mind. These two skills can then be given to NPCs and monsters to represent their toughness/ability in those areas.
What's wrong with CON and WILL beyond that they can not be increased? Tbh i like the way it currently is because it gives more reasons to decide how heavily you wanna invest in these skills at character creation beyond how much HP/WP you start with.

Edit: missed that it was for npcs and monsters.
Beware the fey!

BarkingMadTabletop

Sat 21 Jan 2023, 16:57

I think an Intimidation skill is needed. I guess you could file it under Persuasion but it doesn't really cover the same niche. Just because someone is persuasive doesn't mean they're intimidating and vice-versa.

Nagisawa

Thu 26 Jan 2023, 05:41

Avada Kedavra wouldn't be op if you failed your spell cast rolls either then :)

...(harry potter death spell for those that didnt get it)
A bit OT, but isnt Avada Kadavra roughly equal to a modern firearm, how it works IRL in the hands of a skilled killer? You snuff a life in an instant, no matter who is hit? Not OP either in a modern setting then.

But totally agree in that the avada kadavra makes the later Harry Potter movies a bit nightmarish to look at, how easy that they kill each other.
That's a Hollywoodism. Bullets don't always instantly kill, in fact sometimes it takes several bigger rounds. The Harry Potter spell is an insta-death no matter what. /Off Topic

Gaddeborg

Sat 28 Jan 2023, 15:12

That's a Hollywoodism. Bullets don't always instantly kill, in fact sometimes it takes several bigger rounds. The Harry Potter spell is an insta-death no matter what. /Off Topic
So, is Avada Kedavra OP after all, or not? Started a new thread for this fascinating topic here: https://forum.frialigan.se/viewtopic.php?p=79502#p79502

RenoGM

Sun 29 Jan 2023, 19:28

Just my thoughts but I feel like a few of the "passive/reactionary" type skills should be removed and just fall under attribute checks.
Awareness = use Int.
Evade = use Agl.
Also, I think Bartering is far too narrow to be a skill; fold it into Persuasion.
Beast Lore and Hunting & Fishing could easily be put into Bushcraft (along with survival and tracking type checks).
Swimming is also pretty narrow, maybe just add Athletics (STR) to cover physical actions that are not Agility based.
Instead of Bluffing, you could have Duplicity which could cover bluffing, deception, disguise, gambling etc.
Also, a skill I haven't ever seen in a game, but I think could be really useful is Deduction, the ability to put together clues, decipher codes or runes, figure out someone's motivations, etc.