Vcutter
Topic Author

How would you buff called (head)shots?

Mon 23 Jan 2023, 00:49

Title says it. RAW called shots make very little sense, unless the opponent is partly in cover or you want to avoid armored locations.
I am also now talking about the "mook" rules, where a crit on NPC is automatic incapacitation.
Sometimes the player might want to make a "I really need to put this guy down now" -shot on the mook and describe how he is aiming for the head, just to be sure. Thing is, that he would be better off just shooting to hit without the -2 modifier and be more likely to get the crit.
So I would like the called shots, especially to the head, matter a bit more. Realistically if you study terminal ballistics you notice that head shot are much more effective in stopping a target. This is partly due to psychological effect as well ("Oh s**t I got shot in the head, I am gonna die") but obviously head is in general a more lethal target overall. But I am now looking at more gamefication (risk/reward) and the mechanics than realism.
So I turn to the community for ideas on how to make those called shots, especially head shots, mechanically more appealing?

A general "+1" to damage might do the trick. Another method might be to lower the CRIT -rating of a weapon by one but initial testing with numbers shows that both might be a bit too effective. One alternative might be giving the headshot CUF roll a -1 penalty to the target, simulating the psychological effectiviness of the headshot.

Other ideas/thoughts on how to make mook called shots actually worth it?
Last edited by Vcutter on Tue 24 Jan 2023, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Skunk

Re: How would you buff called (head)shots?

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 07:39

I think that if the target has become that important they are no longer a mook and I'd switch to treating them with more detail in which case the head shot might be worth the negative modifier. If they stop doing whatever made them so important they can go back to being a mook, no reason they have to stay permanently in one group or the other.

Vcutter
Topic Author

Tue 24 Jan 2023, 12:09

I considered this too, and it is of course the option that does not require any hacking.
Thing is that the crit tables for different hit locations are not that different when it comes to "stopping power", and the chances of stopping a target are pretty slim. Actually this is quite realistic: seldom people die immediately even after being shot, immediately meaning withing a second or two. Of course a good direct headshot is usually pretty incapacitating IRL.
If you look at it from game mechanics -perspective the headshot crit will stop the enemy on it's tracks on 8,9(maybe?) and 10. Thats 30% chance IF you get the crit. Probably you are better off not taking the -2 to hit but instead try to just get more damage to get incapacitation through direct damage hits.
Also from gameplay perspective I am still interested in finding some "risk/reward" mechanic for the called shots. Giving players incentive to take the -2 forcing them to decide is it worth it in this situation or not. As the rules stand, they seldom are worth it and usually only for avoiding hitting cover/armor.

sgt

Mon 30 Jan 2023, 17:35

My friend developed a house rule for aiming. It's mathematically analyzed and we've been using it in my campaign for some time now, mostly for ranged attacks. So far we are satisfied.

Headshot house rule
- All hits to head get +1 damage

Hit location house rule
- Replaces the standard aiming rules against human targets
- Modifiers for target being prone and taking a called shot are removed
- Attacks are always aimed at a body part (head, torso, arms, legs). Defaults to torso
- If the attacker gets 2 or more successes (before armor/cover), they hit were they aimed. This is in addition to increased damage for multiple successes
- If the attacker gets 1 success, hit location is rolled based on one of the tables (standing vs prone) below. A prone target in the same hex is considered standing (following normal rules)
- Additional Ammo Dice hits of successful aimed attacks are always considered "1 success" and therefore require a roll from the table below (yet to test this)

Hit location tables for 1 success
1.Target standing
                     ACTUAL HIT LOCATION (D6)
AIMED AT   |   1      2      3      4      5      6
Torso      |  Legs   Torso  Torso  Torso  Arms   Head
Head/Arms  |  MISS   MISS   MISS   Torso  Arms   Head
Legs       |  MISS   MISS   MISS   Legs   Legs   Torso

2.Target prone
                     ACTUAL HIT LOCATION (D6)
AIMED AT   |   1      2      3      4      5      6
Torso      |  MISS   MISS   Legs   Torso  Arms   Head
Head/Arms  |  MISS   MISS   MISS   Torso  Arms   Head
Legs       |  MISS   MISS   MISS   Legs   Torso  Arms

What if the target is in partial cover? Aiming at the head is probably a good idea.

In melee combat a suprising "problem" using this variant is that very skilled fighters often go beyond A+A, losing bonuses. I see players being unhappy when they notice that their diving blow in melee combat or ghillie suit in a recon roll is actually meaningless. So, we are also actively testing another house rule: in opposed rolls any modifier overflow beyong A+A is applied as a negative modifier for the defender. Initial testing shows that this is probably a little too powerful for all opposed rolls. We are now considering the same logic as with severe crits: 1 over = -1, 2 over = -2, 4 over = -4, 8 over = -5.

leonpoi

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 10:27

A simple approach might be some quick kill rule.

Eg , roll d6. If roll is equal to or less than damage then the target is dead (or at least incapacitated)

You could spice it up a bit more.

Eg the roll is > damage by only 1 point, then the CUF roll fails automatically (no need to roll)

Something like that could be quick and simple

Vcutter
Topic Author

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 16:19

I'm gonna go ahead with the "+1 to damage" for called shots to the head.
Sgt I like your aiming rules, especially since with firearms you are pretty much always aiming at something and not shooting at a human sized target. Nevertheless I hate to add additional dice rolls, especially since I am using the excellent TW:2000 module by Stefouch I really don't want to lose the automation. But I do ike your solutions and in my campaign the "old timers" have also gotten to "A+A" level and they are facing the same problem with "useless" bonuses.
Maybe it is time to "retire" them... :twisted:

sgt

Tue 31 Jan 2023, 23:20

"Nevertheless I hate to add additional dice rolls"
Note that there aren't really additional rolls compared to rules as written. Unless you make called shots all the time.

leonpoi

Wed 01 Feb 2023, 04:57

A question - what are you thinking on called shots to the head vs when a shot just hits the head - why would they be different? (maybe just be because called shots is a choice and rewarding the choice makes for a nice game?)

leonpoi

Wed 01 Feb 2023, 10:40

Just another thought - if the goal was no more dice rolls, then perhaps the CUF roll for being hit can be used for head shots:
1) roll CUF as usual for being hit (which is 1 or 2 dice, depending on morale if I recall)
2) if you succeed - all good as usual
3) if you fail, you are suppressed - but
4) [new] if neither of your dice are greater than the damage taken ...... well - you are incapacitated and out of the fight

Personally I think I prefer +1 damage - but I thought to throw the idea out there

Vcutter
Topic Author

Thu 02 Feb 2023, 12:27

what are you thinking on called shots to the head vs when a shot just hits the head - why would they be different?
Yup. Just a gaming mechanic. The damage system isn't detailed enough to make terminal ballistics matter more so not looking for extra headshot lethality particularly, just risk/reward game mechanic. "You made a -2 called shot to the head, here's a cookie!". Like stated, the RAW called shot makes little sense, unless enemy is in cover/armored.
Though if one is to delve deeper here on the math side it would be interesting to know if the +1 dam with -2 to hit is still a bad choice if you regard crits as kill on NPC's. I mean -2 will surely lessen your chances to get extra successes. A lot depends on the weapon dam/crit of course, and what the other modifiers are.

I like the idea of using the CuF roll as an additional resolution mechanic, might toy with that too, thanks! (BTW NPC's don't get the Unit Morale die so they only roll 1 die for CuF if you go RAW, Players manual p.67. Though I have sometimes overruled that especially good enemy commanders or fanatical units change that.)