Nils
Site Admin
Topic Author

Dragonbane BETA v2 Adventure Book Feedback - Chapter 1 Introduction

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 13:10

Hi!

Please use this thread to post feedback and report any typos or errors in chapter 1 of the BETA PDF of the Adventure Book for Dragonbane. Guidelines to remember:
  • Before reporting an error, please check and see if it already has been reported, and if so, don't report it again.
  • Please report your feedback no later than January 31.
Thank you!
Fria Ligan

Von Ether

Re: Dragonbane BETA v2 Adventure Book Feedback - Chapter 1 Introduction

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 17:37

"Its very first edition in 1982 was a direct translation of Magic World."

Use either "It is the" (the formal use) or "It's the" (informal) because "Its" is the one possessive that does not use an apostrophe ... that I know of.

And yes, everyone thinks this is a dumb exception to possessives in English but they keep it anyway.

RobJN

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 14:52

"Its very first edition in 1982 was a direct translation of Magic World."

Use either "It is the" (the formal use) or "It's the" (informal) because "Its" is the one possessive that does not use an apostrophe ... that I know of.

And yes, everyone thinks this is a dumb exception to possessives in English but they keep it anyway.
As I read it, the "Its" refers to the game's very first edition-- thus, possessive. And not dumb, taking into account his and hers also don't make use of the apostrophe.

RobJN

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 15:07

Not sure if this qualifies as an error, per se, but the repetition of the deal with the four-pieced statue from the "History" section again in the "Current Situation" was a bit... repetitive. Like, word for word.
the dragon priests believed the weapon to be too dangerous to be used except in extreme emergencies. Opening the crypt required a special key: a statuette split into four pieces, one for each direction ruled by the dragon emperor.
p. 6, followed on page 7 by
According to ancient writings, the statuette has been split into four pieces – one for each direction ruled by Eledain – which must be assembled in order to open the gate
Also, just as a personal note: I'd make the key initially be a single statue that was broken into four pieces during Eledain's sons' feud over rulership. (The priests basically saying "None of you is fit for the sword unless you cooperate to unseal it.")

RobJN

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 15:58

Numerous "Page XX" references.

p. 8, second paragraph of "The Orcs" is missing a period between the two sentences.
Maladûk knows the legend of Um-Durman and realizes that Azrahel Koth will never be defeated if he gets his hands on this ancient weapon[.] The chieftain has withdrawn with her elite warriors to await the final battle, but has also sent orc patrols and goblin wolfriders to track down the four pieces of the statuette.

Tancred

Thu 05 Jan 2023, 09:27

p.8 The Four-Piece Statuette text box - not a typo, but given it's made of obsidian and half a metre tall, having each piece be a quarter of an inventory item seems quite light, especially when something like a torch or quiver takes a whole slot, Seems like one inventory slot per piece is more believable, or at least half a slot?

harunmushod

Fri 20 Jan 2023, 02:28

p3. “The valley spans roughly 150 kilometers in both length and width. Its was named the Misty Vale ” (my underlining).

1. Whilst I appreciate that the map of Misty Vale is not strictly to scale, the depiction of Outskirt, for example, makes it appear to be roughly 15km x 15km in size, or around 225 square km, that would make it bigger than Stockholm, which was surely not the intent. I think Misty Vale has to be smaller or the map needs to be redrawn.

2. “Its” should be “It”.

Ravencloak

Fri 20 Jan 2023, 07:01

Typo on page 3
"a detailed description of the Outskirt village in the Misty Vale"
Delete "the" before Outskirt village

Page 7, heading "The Dragon Statuette"
Referring to the statuette as the "dragon" statuette strongly suggests that this is the likeness of a dragon, rather than a statuette depicting a man holding a sword. I'd recommend changing this header to make it more descriptive of the actual statuette.

Page 8, second paragraph under the header "Orcs"
Add a period after "this ancient weapon"

Page 9, second paragraph
The statuette is again referred to as the "dragon statuette"

Page 9, "The Opening Scene"
The second to the last sentence refers to "a piece of the dragon statuette"

Page 9, Riddermound callout
The statuette is again referred to as "the dragon statuette" rather than as "the dragon emperor's statuette"

Page 10, table of Demonic Omens, entry 7
Insert "each" before "make a WIL roll", so the sentence reads, "The player characters are thrown to the ground and must each make a WIL roll to resist fear."

Page 10, table of Demonic Omens, entry 9
Insert "each" before "make a WIL roll", so the sentence reads, "The player characters must each make a WIL roll to resist fear."