Tolwen

Re: Homegrown Adventures?

Sun 08 Jan 2023, 01:47

I'm really impressed with Other Minds. Is this magazine still being produced?
As AndrewTBP said - yes it is. We just uploaded a bugfix update yesterday for #26. If you have any questions on the magazine, just ask :)
Visit Other Minds Magazine - an international magazine for role-playing in Middle-earth.

Other Minds also on Facebook!

esp76

Wed 18 Jan 2023, 14:05

I`m running a home grown one. Maps and NPC are from years of MERP back in the 90s.

The basic is to let the PC "carry the quest" with them. The story and ending is not set.

The story started in a small village i northern Cardolan (Feotar) after the great plague. Two of the PC was found in the forest when they were young by a stranger who came to the village. A third PC, a dwarf, was left by his company of travelling dwarves as they were heading into something too dangerous.
Then the plague hit. Most of the people and animals died and the stranger became theng of the village.
The story stated when the company is herding sheep (the few that was left) when a pack of wolves attacked. The company fights them off with not too much trouble (this was used to test battle in TOR as we were new to it), but one sheep is killed.

After the battle a sheep is missing. They track it as dusk only to find a larger black wolf. It had a unnatural fast movement. This was a harder fight but manageable (in this i urged the company to use the surroundings, points from the hope pool to further get them and me into the dynamic). The missing sheep was killed.
The fight ended at dusk. They searched the wolf and found a necklace with a metal tag. As one of the PC took hold, it burned a mark in his hand and the tag vaporized.

Back in the village the theng is worried about the mark and the black wolf. The company takes him back to the site of the fight, but there is no wolf. Only a necklace.

The company are first sent to a near by village to ask for a sheep or two (thw company got to test travel).

In the village they had to face suspicious villagers who haven`t forgotten the plague, searching for three missing persons , lack of social skills (do NOT drink from the large cup in the bath house) and a new theng that know a few things about the history of the two foundlings.

The whole thing was then disrupted when odd looking creatures from Angmar hit and the company had to start a chase.

We have played seven sessions and it is still great fun. We are about to have the first fellowship phase and the players must decide what leads to follow.

Harlath

Wed 18 Jan 2023, 15:52

Here's my approach, based on how 1e advised building a campaign.

The 1e book suggested a campaign outline built on the following:

Campaign goal
Location: where? Will the company range all over or will there be a focal point?
Focus: "What is your game all about?" - War? Politics? Horror etc.
Company: does our Outline offer a reason for the company to gather?
Loremaster characters: who do we want to focus on?

It gave a broad structure and then provided a worked example: "The Darkening of Mirkwood". This worked example then became a full campaign supplement!

My current campaign example:

Campaign goal: to defend the North against a resurgent Angmar, Mount Gram and Mount Gundabad.
Location: where? Rivendell and Bree are our focal points and frequently returned to, with repeated diplomatic trips west to the Blue Mountains/Grey Havens and repeated trips North to scout and defeat the enemy. A tower to be re-established by the Company is another focal point.
Focus: Politics, old enmities, recovering old relics/knowledge to combat the Adversary. "Hope via reclamation".
Company: does our Outline offer a reason for the company to gather? Our High Elf and Ranger knew each other from their time at Rivendell, and Elrond and Cirdan tasked them with recruiting other representatives of the Free Peoples (a Dwarf and an Elf of Lindon) to investigate the growing Shadow from Angmar.
Loremaster characters: Cirdan, Elrond, Gilraen. Gorbag the Great Orc, Maurg the drake and some Ringwraiths. Plus (redacted) the Traitor.

Separately, I also wrote a very simple solo introductory adventure, available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17RS ... -I05U/edit