Llez
Topic Author

Power Rune recharging; recast or Transfer?

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 17:14

Pretty much as the topic says; If you were to recharge a power rune do you cast the same spell again or can you use transfer to move your/a friend's WP into the rune? Further question; can you keep adding to a rune or does it only hold as much as is put in at the time? For example if i have a rune with 5WP stored, can i cast/transfer to add to that 5 or would i need a second rune to store the new pool?

Fenhorn

Re: Power Rune recharging; recast or Transfer?

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 17:26

The spells create a Power Rune with x number of WP on it, that's it. Symbols only work once, it doesn't matter if it is drawn or carved, so you create a Power Rune on a symbol that you have carved. That symbol can't be used as a symbol anymore, it is just a magical trinket that hold some WP for you. If you want another Power Rune, you have to fix up another symbol and cast the spell again.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Llez
Topic Author

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 17:40

Power rune specifically states "...You don’t need to BIND magic to use this spell." indicating that you can use the same rune more than once in this particular case. No other spell specifies this exception to binding. Or at least that's how I interpreted it; it becomes a rechargeable rune after the initial cast. I'm happy to admit i was wrong if that's the case though lol, learning is good.

Fenhorn

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 17:54

Power rune specifically states "...You don’t need to BIND magic to use this spell." indicating that you can use the same rune more than once in this particular case. No other spell specifies this exception to binding. Or at least that's how I interpreted it; it becomes a rechargeable rune after the initial cast. I'm happy to admit i was wrong if that's the case though lol, learning is good.
The spell creates a magic item (without the use of the spell Bind Magic). If you create a power rune with 2 WP, you have a power rune with 2 WP. Those 2 WP last until you use them. That particular symbol (carved or drawn) can't be used for spellcasting again. When you have used those 2 WP, you have a symbol that you can no longer use, but you can draw another, or if it is carved, use the material to carve another symbol and then cast the spell again.

But it is your game so you can do as you wish of course.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Llez
Topic Author

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 18:14

Gotcha, these are good things to learn! I'll be running a game soon and I'm just double checking some possible shenanigans I'd run into.

Konungr

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 17:38

It does not explicitly state this, but I would argue that you don't NEED Bind magic to cast Power Rune and that would create a Rune that is used once and then no longer exists. But, if you DO use Bind Magic on a power Rune you can create a Power Rune that could be reused once a day IF you find a way to Recharge it (like using Transfer).

You don't NEED to use Bind Magic to have the power rune sit around and wait to be used. But that doesn't means a 5 WP Bind Magic with a Power Rune does nothing.

Llez
Topic Author

Tue 17 Jan 2023, 18:25

It does not explicitly state this, but I would argue that you don't NEED Bind magic to cast Power Rune and that would create a Rune that is used once and then no longer exists. But, if you DO use Bind Magic on a power Rune you can create a Power Rune that could be reused once a day IF you find a way to Recharge it (like using Transfer).

You don't NEED to use Bind Magic to have the power rune sit around and wait to be used. But that doesn't means a 5 WP Bind Magic with a Power Rune does nothing.
That's an interesting idea, you could make a combination transfer+power rune carving on an item and just recharge the battery so to speak. Maybe. This is weird territory and i like it.