Theritzes
Topic Author

In light of “One D&D” announcement, will Ruins still continue?

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 03:27

I have to ask a dreaded question, that I don’t readily see the answer for online. In light of the “One D&D” announcement and all the rules changes that will come about, will Ruins of Symbaroum still be supported- will there still be books that are produced? Will you continue to develop them for the 5e rule set or will you also embrace the changes with errata? OR, will the project be dropped entirely?

BytomMan

Re: In light of “One D&D” announcement, will Ruins still continue?

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 05:02

They just updated the Kickstarter to state that the adventure compendiums are progressing and that they began working on the Throne of Thrones 5E conversion so I’m sure it’s safe. Plus the many changes seem to affect the core D&D races and classes which Ruins of Symbaroum doesn’t use. We should be fine as One D&D is mostly a 5.5 style update and not a whole new edition.

Midnightplat

Mon 29 Aug 2022, 06:25

If I'm not mistaken Ruins layers over and swaps out bits of 5e for some Ruins setting specific rules, as do a lot of "3rd party" creators utilizing the 5e SRD. If you have 5e's core rules now, nothing will change, and from what I've seen of One D&D, there may be some mechanics you can take or leave. But as the previous poster I think referenced, whatever "One D&D" eventually becomes, it's supposed to be backward compatible with 5e. That's sort of moot in this case though since the 5e core isn't supposed to be upgraded to whatever One is till 2024, and if you're enjoying playing Ruins with 5e, your 5e core set isn't going to be confiscated as outmoded by WotC. Edition changes aren't a big deal for players, they're a business risk by manufacturers. 5e has done WotC well, I think they're going to try to be careful not to mess it up.

BytomMan

Tue 30 Aug 2022, 05:22

I don’t even own the core books. I just use this!
https://dnd.wizards.com/what-is-dnd/basic-rules

BytomMan

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 00:09

Better question in light of recent news, is will this line continue to be supported with Wizards of the Coast claiming they can change the OGL and revoke the previous versions?

https://gizmodo.com/dnd-wizards-of-the- ... 1849950634

Midnightplat

Tue 10 Jan 2023, 03:31

Think I responded in a different thread to you, but for folks polking around in this subforum, I think this is what's going
I think like a lot of publishers, they're doing a serious look into the reality and ramifications of whatever may be happening with WotC's 1.0a to 1.1 moves. The present OGL is tied into their SRD for reasons I don't fully understand but a lot of publishers of Free League's size are in the same situation. Anyway, there are OGL and Community Content subforums here where folks developing or interested in folks developing material using the YZE SRD post. Apparently FL took down their OGL to review and assess (see posts by Tomas in those forums). It's my sense they want to protect their own interests and projects, and autonomy, as publishers while also maintaining what I feel is a very strong community of people making use of FL's SRD and Community Content permissions.

Short version, I think wait and see. LOTR is a significant license in its own right, and I think publishers are prioritizing ensuring the best conditions for the next ten years rather than meeting immediate community concern with answers that may shift given how this whole OGL thing ultimately plays out.
In other words, I think things are still being sorted out on the business/licensing/legal side of things. It seems to a lot of creators, D&D 5e or 5.5 or what I sometimes call CD PROJEKT D&D 2024 GOLD edition may not play as nice as 5e has during its earlier lifecycle, a lot of rash choices and "commitments" are being said in social media by players and smaller developers, but I think established companies are being very deliberative, and consequently very quiet.