timbolton
Topic Author

Doug and Tomas chat about 2022 and look towards 2023

Thu 22 Dec 2022, 20:56

Free League's Doug and Tomas chatted today about their 2022 products and gave hints about 2023. Nothing really new from what we know, but I made a few notes on details below:

Free League Update 12/22/2022 | Year in Review - Blade Runner, THE ONE RING™, Vaesen, Alien & more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjDr7s2lFt0
Doug and Tomas TOR discussion about 2m13s

Strider mode for The Lord of the Rings 5e
Tomas: Not in the works at the moment, certainly possible. It might happen.

More content for The One Ring
Tomas: Another adventure book – similar size to the Ruins of the Lost Realm – traditional adventures/scenario – landmarks (worked well) – set in Eriador – news early 2023
Tomas: some even bigger stuff later
Tomas: Long discussion about Moria – also looking at (this product) – update on that in the next couple of months
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass."

Otaku-sempai

Re: Doug and Tomas chat about 2022 and look towards 2023

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 04:31

Well, Gondor still needs to be covered. We could use more information on Lindon, the Blue Mountains and Forochel. Lothlórien deserves at least a booklet. A new supplement could cover East Rhovanion, Dorwinion and the Sea of Rhûn. Eventually Loremasters are going to want access to Near Harad, Umbar and Khand (not to mention Mordor).
#FideltyToTolkien

lazycat1984

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 23:13

There is a lot of potential for this entire system. How do they recruit creatives?

Harlath

Wed 28 Dec 2022, 13:53

There is a lot of potential for this entire system. How do they recruit creatives?
I don't know how Fria Ligan recruit creatives, but from looking at the credits of some 1st edition supplements (published by Cubicle 7) it looks like some fans eventually had works commissioned, presumably as a result of unofficial materials they'd written.

You could try contacting Fria Ligan directly or putting together high quality posts here showcasing good material and hope it acts as a resume. :)

Midnightplat

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 07:15

I've found this the most concise explanation of "how to write professionally for TTRPGs" out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShGYFXVy-g&t=66s

The gist is it comes down to developing a solid reputation, which takes time and patience. No one is going to give you direction over say a whole book until you've done smaller pieces of work and have proven you play well with others when developing a professional game product. This particular video is geared to D&D, but a lot of Free League Games have similar outlets through various titles community programs. Unfortunately, the big licensed IPs (Alien, LOTR, Bladerunner) don't have those programs for obvious reasons, so in those cases I would demonstrate capacity in a number of games via community programs and also develop a sort of "high regard" on forums like this and other social media platforms. Notice, unlike other forms of writing, game design, even if you're doing more "lore" writing than "mechanics" still nevertheless has a higher expectation of being able to understand and incorporate playtest feedback. TTRPG writing these days reminds me more of writer's rooms you see in TV and cinema more than the solitary writer working on a novel. So it's that sort of paradox of distinguishing yourself by being a strong team player.

gyrovague

Sat 31 Dec 2022, 21:25

I've found this the most concise explanation of "how to write professionally for TTRPGs" out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShGYFXVy-g&t=66s

The gist is it comes down to developing a solid reputation, which takes time and patience. No one is going to give you direction over say a whole book until you've done smaller pieces of work and have proven you play well with others when developing a professional game product. This particular video is geared to D&D, but a lot of Free League Games have similar outlets through various titles community programs. Unfortunately, the big licensed IPs (Alien, LOTR, Bladerunner) don't have those programs for obvious reasons, so in those cases I would demonstrate capacity in a number of games via community programs and also develop a sort of "high regard" on forums like this and other social media platforms. Notice, unlike other forms of writing, game design, even if you're doing more "lore" writing than "mechanics" still nevertheless has a higher expectation of being able to understand and incorporate playtest feedback. TTRPG writing these days reminds me more of writer's rooms you see in TV and cinema more than the solitary writer working on a novel. So it's that sort of paradox of distinguishing yourself by being a strong team player.
Jacob Rogers showed how you do it. He started with volunteer proofreading of TOR 1e supplements, enough to get credit in the books, and wrote a popular introductory adventure called Theft of the Moon that he gave away for free. Now he works for both Handiwork and Free League.