Maedryc

Re: Let's talk Ability Balance

Thu 08 Dec 2022, 13:49

I believe you're reading the ability wrong. It states you can dodge an extra time "in combat", not "each round".
The way I read it, you still have to pay the 3 WP to activate it.

So it's not like you take the ability and now you can attack and dodge for free each round; you take the ability, then you can spend 3 WP to dodge (once) even if you've used up your action already.
The dodge is "free" only because it does not cost an action, but it still costs 3 WP to use.
So, decent, but not that good, IMHO.
Yup. The ability simply allows you to dodge without it counts as an action for the price of 3 WP, you can do it more than once, as long as you pay 3 WP each time you want to do this 'free' dodge (free as it doesn't counts as an action).
That is how I read it. Still, a 3 WP "oh sh*t" ability is very useful since you can more comfortably go on the offensive without worry if you're first in the initiative order. Better to lose 3 WP than be dead.
Sure, provided you don't botch your parry/dodge roll. And, really, being able to attack without being instagibbed once in a while is something I'd expect trained fighters to be able to do. So, yeah, I still bill it as "decent", and it'll probably be taken a lot if you're expected to end up in melee often, but this has more to do with the fact that there aren't that many interesting melee "heroic abilities" to take than anything else, IMHO.

Short Fey

Fri 09 Dec 2022, 00:34

Actually thinking about it i realized there is a thing Evasive is really good for. It's great for Npc boss fights.

Sense npc play by the same rules as players they can also use Heroic Abilities. So you could make the boss pick up Evasive, and when you try to hit them, they redirects you to a nearby minion, which they always sticks close too, forcing the player to attack them instead. This makes it a bit harder to focus fire them down, but also paints them as a coward using their underlings as meatshields.
Beware the fey!

Narind

Sat 10 Dec 2022, 02:43

In fact, let's really amp up the magic ante by adding Jack of All Trades (Mage) to the list of crazy strong and likely broken heroic abilities. Want to be good at your profession AND roast people with magic? Now you can after only a single session! Note that the Mage ability specifically states you become trained in a magic skill. Regardless of whether your base profession has it or not.
The anti-magic properties of iron and steel kind of negate this. Now your fighter needs to choose between using their sword or casting spells, the Knight between wearing armor, or casting spells. And so on. The rules intent seem similar to previous editions in which you couldn't even carry iron (or steel) items such as a lantern in your inventory or reside within an iron cage and also cast spells (a quiver of iron arrow heads are clutch, rules as intended I'd say a no, but probably yes to most GM fiat, as it's"small items").

I dare say this solve most of the problems invoked by picking up Mage, as it would seriously hamper the utility of your previous profession.