Lancothis

Re: The Lord of the Rings (5E) Early Access Feedback

Thu 08 Dec 2022, 01:02

Spelling Error: page 202. paragraph 1:
...the ruins that dot the hills are what reains of ancient forts and watchtowers, and the paths and tracks that served them.

Lancothis

Thu 08 Dec 2022, 18:21

I suggest adding a compass rose to the maps to reinforce North/South/East/West.

Also, while reading the sample adventure (The Star of the Mist) I see that it references the Ered Luin but I think it should at least parenthetically explain that this is the Sindarin name for the Blue Mountains, since "Blue Mountains" is on the map and "Ered Luin" is not. I know it's explained on page 206, but I could see someone getting frustrated if they missed that.

I'm loving this so far! Can't wait for more!

Freckles

Tue 13 Dec 2022, 18:13

I played AIME for a good while and have recently switched to LOTR 5e. I am very impressed with consolidating some of the old, clunky rules and mechanics from the previous version.

However, some of the skills that were changed are playing awkwardly in real game.

Breaking up Survival into Hunting/Exploration/Travel plays strangely. I understand the distinction of Travelling and Hunting for the new journey events roles. However, exploration and travel seem too similar to need separate skills. Especially since they both rely on the WIS score. Is Exploration now just the catch all for the other Survival skills? And outside of the specific journey rolls, we haven't needed Travel as a skill check at all unless a map is involved.

Additionally, I really miss the Shadow Lore skill from AIME. There are so many questions distinctive to shadow creatures, runes, weapons, history, etc. To relegate this only to the warden class (and then they can only choose 1 favored foe) really weakens the relationship heroes have with their fight against the shadow.

Goldifisch

Thu 15 Dec 2022, 17:31

Overall great stuff. One thing I am personally not a fan of though is that there are very few combat options, especially for melee characters. With the level cap at 10 there are only 2 subclass features and virtues don't really help to compensate this and make melee combat more interesting. There is nothing close to the Dnd feats like 'polearm master', 'sentinel', 'savage attacker' and 'great weapon master'. The option to take -5 to the attack roll but +10 to damage is essentially locked behind the ranged champion subclass. The cultural virtues 'fierce shot', 'deadly archery' and 'sure at the mark' are all for ranged only. I'm not saying this is necessarily a balance issue. I would just like to see some more options/some options opened up for melees aswell.

andrews48

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 03:17

On Page 35 of the PDF, under "A Penetrating Gaze" Dwarf Background, we have listed: "Distinctive Features: Wary, Wilfulw". I believe the last w is a typo.

Tari

Sat 24 Dec 2022, 15:38

Hi there, my requests are in regards to changes from AiME to LOTRRP.

1. The replacement of the Broken Spells virtue. While I understand that the three specific spells that the AiME version offered can have their effects replicated via the current version, should the LM allow for it, I think that it's ultimately against the point of having spells be apart from skills/tool usage. I also think that the way that the new Broken Spells virtue is worded/designed at the moment may lead to Fallacy of Choice issues and possibly frustrating and lengthy discussions at the game table, since it seems too open ended. (Note that this is just assumption on my part, I have not playtested this.)
I'd personally like to see the old Broken Spells make a return (with the new one simply being renamed), and/or have the current Broken Spells be reworked to have the issues above addressed.

2. I miss the Ravens of the Lonely Mountains virtue :(

Thank you!

Cundior

Fri 06 Jan 2023, 17:12

I don't know, if it was mentioned or not, and it's a little thing, but I can't find Lute at the Equipment list under Instruments. This must be corrected! :)

Cundior

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 09:48

I have just downloaded the new update. Why there are no maps inside the book? This is final?

Shadenquest

Wed 18 Jan 2023, 05:21

I just came here to put in some of my findings on the pdf, then saw there's an update. But one thing I was going to mention mainly is the lacking character sheet. I'm not a fan of all the red-and-white everywhere through the book, it's not very 'fantasy/ elvish' themed, makes my head hurt. But the character sheets are missing several things, including just a feel of 'adventure' in their design. Way too small areas for writing in (not enough lines), missing skills and such, very square and separated areas... Looks more like an afterthought than a labor of love for a fantasy setting. Green would go better with the leaf design. I like the journey sheet layout better than the AiME version, but green still.

The_Bardcat

Sat 04 Feb 2023, 17:04

Hello!

On a earlier post here Michele stated there would have been early access PDFs for Loremaster's Screen and Rivendell Compendium before official release.
That was three months ago however, and the Free League store is stating Lotr 5e wil release on May.

Given that is just a few months from now, do we have any news on when the LM's Screen and the Rivendell Compendium early access PDFs will be released?
I'm really looking forward to those!