Kaybe
Topic Author

PK-D FKM890

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 19:05

Just a quick question regarding this firearm.

So at first, I looked at this thing and thought it was utter crud compared to the 5223. 5223's offers more ammo choices, piercing rounds, and higher crit dice.
But them I noticed something I hadn't before (I do tend to absorb content more in printed form): The FKM890 allows you to hard pull the trigger to fire *both* rounds at the same time, basically allowing both the 2 damage sonic blast and the 1 damage sonic round (since it explicitly states it's firing from both barrels at once).

So I want to make sure I'm reading that right. It's the only way this weapon makes sense since it trades lethal power for raw damage. If the 2 damage sonic blast IS the result of the long trigger pull, with nothing else added to it, it then becomes the worst firearm in the game. Note that this firearm does not have auto fire.

Now it's possible I'm missing something here where my interpretation of that text is wrong, but there's something else about this PKD that makes it really strong. If so, please let me know as I would very much like a reason to include it in the game. Thanks.

LATER EDIT: Actually, I did notice one rather important thing just now and I'm surprised I didn't think about it sooner. The FKM890 is effective at all ranges, whereas the 5223 can be loaded with either the 44s or the 222s, but not both at the same time. Or if it can, the 222 can only be chambered one at a time with an action to reload. Of course, the damage difference and the crit die difference *does* mean shooting the 222 on alternating rounds still keeps it line with sonics firing every round.

Bonus question: Am I the only one that thinks the D12 piercing crit die on the .357 subcompact is a touch strong? That means it has the same kind of lethal power as a scope rifle.

Nyarlethotep

Re: PK-D FKM890

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 16:51

As mentioned in the description p.178 "packs a punch with two .357 round barrels firing at once". On the other hand, it only does 1 damage and has a reduced range. In my opinion, it's pretty well balanced given the simplicity of the combat system.

Remember at the start of the 1982 movie, when Leon shoots Holden, that little gun looks like it packs quite a punch.

Kaybe
Topic Author

Thu 08 Dec 2022, 00:51

As mentioned in the description p.178 "packs a punch with two .357 round barrels firing at once". On the other hand, it only does 1 damage and has a reduced range. In my opinion, it's pretty well balanced given the simplicity of the combat system.

Remember at the start of the 1982 movie, when Leon shoots Holden, that little gun looks like it packs quite a punch.
Interesting. I had missed that part. Makes sense.
Which of course leads to a more important question ... while ammo is infinite, magazine capacity is not. Is the tiny subcompact indeed a two shot pistol that would then require an action (or more) to reload? Note: the only place I have been able to find so far in the book that discusses using an action to reload is in the case of the 5223's rifle round. It's possible there's mention elsewhere and I have just not seen it.

Nyarlethotep

Thu 08 Dec 2022, 19:05

You are right, the reload time is only mentioned in the description of PK-D 5223 and I believe that the only reason why this rule exists is so that this gun is just a little less OP

Lieutenant Obvious

Fri 23 Dec 2022, 14:22

Bonus question: Am I the only one that thinks the D12 piercing crit die on the .357 subcompact is a touch strong? That means it has the same kind of lethal power as a scope rifle.

A longtime friend and former cop of my acquaintance, as well as former police captain Massad Ayoob, both spoke glowingly of the stopping power of the .357 Magnum revolver when loaded up with semi-wadcutters or hollow-point rounds. Remember also that this weapon is only useful at very short range, practically close enough to smell the onions on the target's breath. It's a useful and dangerous backup piece, or possibly a face-to-face assassin's gun (just ask Leon), but that's it.