Jsemple
Topic Author

Chinyen

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 15:02

Hi from what I’ve read it feels like Chinyen points simply get depleted. I’m not seeing many opportunities for refreshing or increasing them. Am I missing something?
James Semple

Fenhorn

Re: Chinyen

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 15:49

Hi from what I’ve read it feels like Chinyen points simply get depleted. I’m not seeing many opportunities for refreshing or increasing them. Am I missing something?
Chinyen points represent saved money that you have done before play or something like that. If you want to get more, you have to spend a promotion point to get it (or, hm, perhaps be corrupt).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tarynt Essrog

Mon 16 Jan 2023, 21:41

I'm taking a page from the original Philip K. Dick novel and telling the players that Blade Runners get a bonus for every replicant they successfully identify and retire. +1 Chinyen Point to whoever pulls the trigger.

mcjakenberry

Sun 23 Jul 2023, 23:21

I'm taking a page from the original Philip K. Dick novel and telling the players that Blade Runners get a bonus for every replicant they successfully identify and retire. +1 Chinyen Point to whoever pulls the trigger.
I really like this idea! They really do push that in the novel they get a bonus for retiring replicants, so it's an interesting idea for if the players choose to arrest or retire a rogue N8 they identify.

The core book says you can get 1 Chinyen point in exchange for 1 Promotion Point per case file (pushing for a promotion) by rolling CONNECTIONS. Maybe it would also make sense to give a Chinyen point flavored as a raise whenever players get distinctions for earning 3 PP's during a session?

BrianG

Tue 25 Jul 2023, 09:12

From what can see from the rules, Chinyen bears absolutely no resemblance to reality nor is it even trying to. It is simply and purely an abstract game mechanic meant to limit character possessions to be very few and deliberate choices, rather than having run-on lists of gear with encumbrance and monetary totals.

In other words, special items cost 'something'. It does not really matter what or even how much, as long as there is a limiting cost of some kind. Thus a .357 revolver costs the same as a can of pepper spray. Realistically, the revolver is about 40-50 times more expensive, but that does not really matter for the game. 1 Chinyen is the cost for both.

So, back to the OP's question; How to earn Chinyen? I would say this. Know what your player's savings goals are. Ex. Are they fine as is, or do they REALLY want that spinner cycle for 5 Chinyen? Then from that, gauge how much fun you think they can have in earning the item and in how much time. If they are earning fast enough through promotional/chinyen conversions, then keep it at that. If they need it sooner to have a chance to enjoy it this lifetime, then provide faster opportunity to earn through plot devices.

If they don't care about the catalog for any shopping, then keep them where they are at.

In the end, avoid trying to equate it too much to actual in game currency that may use the name "Chinyen". The conversion rate just makes no sense when looking at the items and their relative costs.