JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Re: Hunter, max damage after character creation?

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:58

heaving looked more into this, seems it just the marksman getting the short end of the stick

The spell casters gets bigger/more damage from learning higher spells.
The melee fighter gets a second attack(heroic ability dual wield) and "Find Weak Spot" melee special action can allow you to ignore armor for potential quite a bump too.
I haven't looked much into the rogues yet, but there is a sneak attack you can also increase from heroic ability.

so numbers do somewhat "go big" across the board, just not for the marksman =(
But as some of you pointed out it seems my expectations of "mirth and mayhem" isn't quite the same as free league :)

jalexandratos

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 18:09

Here’s a stretch, the optional rules for special attacks don’t specify melee attacks (even though they’re in the melee attack section), just “weapon type.” I’d say leverage that and allow Find Weak Spot and Disarm for ranged attacks.

CEBedford

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 18:23

Here’s a stretch, the optional rules for special attacks don’t specify melee attacks (even though they’re in the melee attack section), just “weapon type.” I’d say leverage that and allow Find Weak Spot and Disarm for ranged attacks.
I already assumed this was the case despite them showing up in the melee section. Grapple is the only one that calls out a specific melee only skill.

Also, I would say a ranged topple is viable against humanoids too. Just give it a bane every time but allow it to still deal damage. However if the attack deals no damage (due to armor) it does not topple.

Taking an arrow to the knee would knock any but the toughest combatant down I’d wager. They’d never get the free boon as ranged weapons don’t have the topple feature.

I’d consider adding the topple feature to Heavy Crossbows so they can at least negate the bane though. I know I’d probably get knocked on my butt by a hit from one. That would go a long way to giving that weapon it’s own edge since it doesn’t get a damage bonus.
- Hoodie Infestation

Short Fey

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 20:08

I think the main advantage of ranged attacks is that you can do so from a distance. While it can't protect you from every eventuality (such as facing enemy archers), you are further away from the enemy, thus less likely to get attacked. This makes it safer to actively attack instead of waiting to see if you get attacked or not as long you keep your distance.

That said, i wouldn't mind seeing some heroic abilities, or special attacks for ranged attacks as well.
Beware the fey!