JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Hunter, max damage after character creation?

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 10:32

I was reading through the rules, with the idea of remaking an old archer character of mine....Not at all a legolas netflix adaptation :)

If i am lucky enough to start to the game with a longbow and my agility will never improve giving me a higher damage die..if i don't straight up get D6 during character creation.
Will my ranged damage then never go up?
I get increased chance to hit from marksmanship skill improvements and i can get damage to monsters from dragon-slayer heroic ability, but that is about it.

am i understanding the rules right here? that left me kinda bummed out.

How do you guys feel about "peaking" right out of character creation here and in general?

JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Re: Hunter, max damage after character creation?

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 10:45

On the more solution orientated side of things, you could just add a generic heroic ability that simply increase attribute X by 2 (ike hp and wp).
while also increase the damage die table to go higher than what is possible at character creation.

this would feel very DnD 5e however

Vile Traveller

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 13:04

I prefer not to have attribute increases in play, it's a very gamey conceit. The only attribute you can really increase in real life is strength, and that takes constant training and diet to maintain, which is a bit too complex for me in a simple FRPG.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

Logen_Nein

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 14:22

Considering how much damage that is (d10 + d6 at the least with a shortbow) I don't see it as an issue.
Last edited by Logen_Nein on Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

VorpalMace

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:06

Deep down below this is still a BRP-based game, like RuneQuest or Call of Cthulhu. Just like IRL, it is your skills that get better from experience. If you want more damage, find a better bow and better arrows. Surely there is some legendary artifact you can quest for.

JohnWithAgun
Topic Author

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:08

Considering how much damage that is (d10 + d6 at the least with a shortbow) I don't see it ad an issue.
its not really the amount/number that is the issue, its the static nature of it. (tho a melee character can much more)
Its more a general, how do you feel about playing a character that wont really progress much?
The damage number you see at session 1 is the same as in session 30. In short, "numbers don't go big".

Logen_Nein

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:29

Have played several games over the years where this is the case so it doesn't bother me. It is the skill that increases, which for me is enough. This (and others like it) might not be the game you are looking for if you want "numbers go big."

Edit - also to be fair we don"t know what item enhancements (i.e. magical etc.) are going to look like yet, so I assume there will be a boost in damage there...

VorpalMace

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:31

its not really the amount/number that is the issue, its the static nature of it. (tho a melee character can much more)
Its more a general, how do you feel about playing a character that wont really progress much?
The damage number you see at session 1 is the same as in session 30. In short, "numbers don't go big".

It's not true that characters won't really progress much. There are multiple aspects of progression. For example, you can build connections with the NPCs in your environment by interacting with them, you can get better at the things you can do by experience, and you can further improve your effectiveness by getting better equipment. What you are looking for is mostly part of the latter: equipment progression. It's not a static number, it just improves by a different way than what you expect.

Of course there is the other part, the damage bonus based on Agility. We can argue whether Dragonbane not offering a way to increase attributes by experience by default is a good idea or not. I'm not worried about it because...
  • Plenty of BRP-based games don't have it either and work fine.
  • Just as in Mythras you are probably an adult that has peaked their genetic potential and cannot really improve anymore.
  • You can implement and keep them in control through quest rewards, which I also find more satisfying.

CEBedford

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:44

I prefer not to have attribute increases in play, it's a very gamey conceit. The only attribute you can really increase in real life is strength, and that takes constant training and diet to maintain, which is a bit too complex for me in a simple FRPG.
A person can definitely train their other “attributes” in real life barring a permanent condition that flat out prevents a person from doing the necessary physical or mental conditioning. It’s not a gamey conceit at all to think they could improve their attributes a bit over time. Hell the characters already get smarter and wiser with age as it is.

Intense training in mental disciplines can also sharpen the mind making it easier to learn other skills later not just from overlapping areas of knowledge, but through training the mind to better acclimate to new ideas altogether.

That’s not even factoring in magic which this setting has so the possibilities for character growth should be even more open to possibilities. If magic can cure death it can definitely remove other limitations that may prevent character growth. There are already rules for magic leading to the character growing younger with the stats adjusting accordingly, meaning magic can definitely reverse the natural effects of aging in this world.
- Hoodie Infestation

Vile Traveller

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 15:46

Hit points don't increase (unlike D&D), so there's no reason damage needs to go up in order to keep pace.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion