Vile Traveller
Topic Author

Limiting Basic Rules But Allowing Expansion

Mon 05 Dec 2022, 19:32

This applies to all chapters, so I'm posting it in the general forum. There have been a lot of comments regarding the number of professions, creatures, magic schools, etc. Without going into the arguments for or against, I feel the rules would benefit from some text in the relevant places encouraging ("permitting" if you like) expansion by users. Perhaps with some guidelines, e.g. spell power levels or when a new skill might be worth adding to a campaign.

Personally I favour limiting the scope of the basic rules, but the above would apply in either case.
Last edited by Vile Traveller on Fri 09 Dec 2022, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion

JohnWithAgun

Re: Limiting Scope of Basic Rules

Tue 06 Dec 2022, 09:32

i agree, if they don't add more themselves, a template for adding spells, heroic abilities, special items and monsters would be very welcome.

Currently i fear the the system don't lends itself very well to longer campaigns.

Justin37

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 09:47

Indeed, this would be very practical and much more interesting.
Last edited by Justin37 on Mon 12 Dec 2022, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

RetroDMRay

Wed 07 Dec 2022, 21:48

Myself personally, I favor very few rules and not really any "skills" in my RPG systems, so less is more for me and I'd like to see it remain as is, with supplement additions/rules offerings placed outside the confines of the basic system.
Once the players see all the extras, you will have a much harder time to convince them its better without it all.
A lot can be done by just answering some simple questions and having dialogue back and forth. "What would you like to do/try? Where are you searching?", etc...Players have the skill, not the sheets or system. I know that's the history of the original though, so I get it. But again, that's just IMHO. THNX

Vile Traveller
Topic Author

Re: Limiting Basic Rules But Allowing Expansion

Fri 09 Dec 2022, 10:51

On a related point, it would be nice to have a 'generic' previous experience option for players who prefer to build a starting character without using the available professions. This works well in Big Gold Book BRP.
https://dreamscapedesign.net/
Crafting the finest table top role-playing games for your discerning diversion